What to list first and why

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
ChemZ

Re: What to list first and why

#16 Post by ChemZ »

I seriously can't believe we're still discussing this. :shock:

Want the WinPenPack version? ----> Goto the WinPenPack website!
Want the Portable Apps version? ----> Goto the Portable Apps website!
Want the native or "hack" version? ----> Right here at Portable Freeware BABY! :D

Therefore:

Main Download: Native or "Hack" version
Alternative Download: WinPenPack and/or Portable Apps version
JohnTHaller wrote:And I'd wager there are a lot of less-technical users that use the site but don't post on the forums. Having a "no launcher" bias hold above all else seems a disservice to most users.
Myself being one of those "less-technical users" I have to disagree. I'm personally here because I really dislike those wrappers; file size increase, file number increase, and those damn splash screens that refuse to stay turned off! What's that about?!?!?

Using WinPenPack/PortableApps is great for beginners and all, but eventually with experience, beginners move on... and they move here. This site caters to those more-technical minded users.

As Shakespeare once said: "Let us not forget those gifted with intelligence or blessed with experience, for if not Portable Freeware, than who else?"

(No really, he said that! I heard it from a guy who heard it from his cousin's brother's girlfriend's mother, who heard it from her aunt's uncle's twice removed sister, who heard it from... etc... etc...)

JohnTHaller

#17 Post by JohnTHaller »

rikylov wrote:So, If I understand well, no more freeware portabilizations will be done in your PA? That's a pity!!(btw, sorry for my english, is not my primary language).
That's not what I meant. I meant if you were repackaging someone else's software you need to make sure you have permission to use it from the publisher, if applicable due to EULA or trademark reasons. We've licensed the PortableApps.com Launcher and Installer to make any app portable so incompatible open source licenses and freeware projects can use the tools legally and for free without any license issue.
rikylov wrote:Does Inkscape Portable is not PA application? So, why don't You let "Inkscape members" replicate here?? 8)
Inkscape Portable is in PortableApps.com Format, but it's Inkscape's app and you download it from their website and SourceForge project. We just link to them from PortableApps.com. They publish it themselves as their portable version as do many of our publishers.
Last edited by JohnTHaller on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

JohnTHaller

#18 Post by JohnTHaller »

ChemZ wrote:Myself being one of those "less-technical users" I have to disagree. I'm personally here because I really dislike those wrappers; file size increase, file number increase, and those damn splash screens that refuse to stay turned off! What's that about?!?!?
The PortableApps.com splash screens are easy to turn off using just a single entry in the INI file (DisableSplashScreen=true). This setting will remain through upgrades and file/directory moves as long as you're upgrading using one of our installers or the PA.c Upgrader. We've found our software unofficially bundled in other suites and they don't upgrade properly there, but that's not something within our control, of course. You can also disable nearly all the screens via the current PortableApps.com Platform just by going to Options - Advanced and ticking the box next to "Disable App Splash Screens". (ProTip: You can hide the "Portable" suffix in all the displayed apps there as well.) Note that some older apps don't yet support this method of hiding splashes but they will be upgraded over the coming weeks. Obviously this doesn't apply to apps that have their own internal splash screen (GIMP, LibreOffice, Celestia, etc) in which case you need to disable them within the app itself. If you ever encounter an app where the splash doesn't disable, please let us know right away as that would be a bug.

As for our launchers, we only add a handful of files for configuration, etc, which is more than counteracted by the shrinking of the main app we do (especially if it's multilingual and you select English only). Our launchers use basically 0% CPU while the app is running and they are waiting to clean up after it. And all our new launchers which use the main PA.c Launcher use under 1MB of RAM while running in the background. They're all built using NSIS for reduced false positives since NSIS is used by a large number of publishers (Firefox, Kasperspky, Winamp, etc) and built entirely with open source tools making them easy to analyze and recreate.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

rikylov

#19 Post by rikylov »

JohnTHaller wrote:
rikylov wrote:So, If I understand well, no more freeware portabilizations will be done in your PA? That's a pity!!(btw, sorry for my english, is not my primary language).
That's not what I meant. I meant if you were repackaging someone else's software you need to make sure you have permission to use it from the publisher, if applicable due to EULA or trademark reasons. We've licensed the PortableApps.com Launcher and Installer to make any app portable so incompatible open source licenses and freeware projects can use the tools legally and for free without any license issue.
Now that's clear (for me).
Sorry for my misunderstanding. So, happy to know PA will continue distributing also some portabilized freeware
JohnTHaller wrote:
rikylov wrote:Does Inkscape Portable is not PA application? So, why don't You let "Inkscape members" replicate here?? 8)
Inkscape Portable is in PortableApps.com Format, but it's Inkscape's app and you download it from their website and SourceForge project. We just link to them from PortableApps.com. They publish it themselves as their portable version as do many of our publishers.
also this point is quite clear by my side. Anyway You didn't answer to my question, but, doesn't matter, I understand your bi-level position in this case (in and out same door) :wink:

rikylov

#20 Post by rikylov »

ChemZ wrote:I seriously can't believe we're still discussing this. :shock:
Want the WinPenPack version? ----> Goto the WinPenPack website!
Want the Portable Apps version? ----> Goto the Portable Apps website!
Want the native or "hack" version? ----> Right here at Portable Freeware BABY! :D
Therefore:
Main Download: Native or "Hack" version
Alternative Download: WinPenPack and/or Portable Apps version
Great post dude! I really like this concept.
Anyway sometimes WPP/PA versions are really better and more stealthy than original proggies (also if natively portable)
An then, which is better between PA/WPP ? IMHO only end-users can answer. ;)

JohnTHaller

#21 Post by JohnTHaller »

rikylov wrote:also this point is quite clear by my side. Anyway You didn't answer to my question, but, doesn't matter, I understand your bi-level position in this case (in and out same door) :wink:
I did answer the question you asked which was if it was a PA app (It's Inkscape's app, not ours). Chris Morgan is directly involved in the Inkscape project and has already shared his opinion in the X-Inkscape posting that it should be switched to Inkscape Portable. I'm not sure what the bilevel position or in/out comment mean, though, as my position is quite consistent.

rikylov

#22 Post by rikylov »

JohnTHaller wrote: I'm not sure what the bilevel position or in/out comment mean, though, as my position is quite consistent.
Doesn't matter John! It was only a joke about PA/Inkscape involving on common project. I know your position consistent! :) Anyway many thanks for your time spent replying me :wink: