Comments moderation

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Andrew Lee

Comments moderation

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

It took a little longer than I expected, but I finally implemented the comments moderation function.

Basically if you have a non-zero rank and you are logged in, you will find a "trash can" icon at the end of every comment. If you click on it, your rank will be added to the comment negativity score. Once the negativity score goes above a certain threshold, the comment will be hidden.

Current the threshold is set at 6, so it will take at least two ranked users to hide a comment (R5 + R1).

You don't have to worry about trashing a comment accidentally more than once, since the script is smart enough to know you have done it before and won't double count.

The "trash can" icon starts out looking quite transparent and gets progressively more opaque as the negativity score increases. When the negativity score reaches 5, it becomes red.

Hope this helps with getting rid of spammy or useless comments.

SYSTEM

Re: Comments moderation

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

Thank you.

I tested the function with a couple of recent comments of the ImgBurn entry (the ones I really want to kill, of course). The moderation function seems to be working, at least the trash can icons became more opaque. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

I just helped you out there, so they are gone. :D

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

Excellent addition! No way to test until some erroneous comments are posted. :)

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

I think there might be a bug since the introduction, because I have voted for 2 applications today (which should be at 10 by now) and added 3 applications (which should be at 5) but they are showing as 0?!

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

Just fixed it. Thanks!

Checker

#7 Post by Checker »

Andrew Lee wrote:It took a little longer than I expected, but I finally implemented the comments moderation function.
Thank you very much :)

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote:Hope this helps with getting rid of spammy or useless comments.
Excellent. Thanks for your work on this.

freakazoid

#9 Post by freakazoid »

I just made a mistake when I posted a comment and I wanted to remove it; I tried to delete it, but trying to delete your own comment still requires community moderation.

Andrew, is it possible to let registered users delete their own comment without another user verifying it?
is it stealth? ;)

Andrew Lee

#10 Post by Andrew Lee »

@freakazoid: Great idea!

I have updated the "kill" function to allow that.

I am Baas

#11 Post by I am Baas »

How about editing a comment?

JohnTHaller

#12 Post by JohnTHaller »

I keep clicking the exclamation point to agree with this post, but it doesn't seem to be working. :?
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

#13 Post by guinness »

I keep clicking the exclamation point to agree with this post, but it doesn't seem to be working. :?
The exclamation point in the Forums is to send a warning to the Admins about the post, did you mean the Recycle bin in the comments? Because this should turn Red and set a number of what level you are e.g. R5 on TPFC.

I am Baas

#14 Post by I am Baas »

This comment on GreeneBrowser was voted down but I disagree. How do I vote for a comment to stay?
P Smith: Anything based on Infernal Exploder is a waste of time. I'd rather use chrome, which sucks. [2011-01-06 16:41]

guinness

#15 Post by guinness »

I agree with I am Baas this would be a good option too. I only remove comments on the basis of being SPAM e.g. selling Boots.