Add function implemented

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
joby_toss

Re: Add function implemented

#46 Post by joby_toss »

Andrew Lee wrote:Can't we use the "comments" section for that?
I guess we could ... as a matter of fact I just did that on several occasions today :) .

m^(2)

#47 Post by m^(2) »

m^(2) wrote:
Andrew Lee wrote:
m^(2) wrote:Such path is relative to the working directory (unless a program uses counter-standard nomenclature). In great majority of cases, if application uses such path, it's a bug.
I don't understand. "..\..\personal\work.doc" is standard and accepted by Win32 API (it's relative to GetCurrentDirectory(), which is usually the EXE path unless it's changed using SetCurrentDirectory()).

For example, under PStart, I have:

Code: Select all

\apps
  \pstart
    pstart.exe
  \photofiltre
    photofiltre.exe

So I can reference PhotoFiltre as "..\photofiltre\photofiltre.exe" under PStart without any issues.
There are many cases when on the start, Current Dir=Exe Dir (especially 2clicking in Explorer), but there are many when it's not. Examples:
-some shortcuts don't set starting directory. Or set it to another dir.
-most batches don't bother with it. Then the cd that a batch received at the start is carried to all tools started by it. It's not uncommon to call programs (or other batches) placed in different directories.
-many tools let you to set cd of the programs they start differently (I'm thinking about Total Commander here, but I would be surprised if other good file managers and menus lacked this option)
-programs can be executed manually from another directory. It's common with tools that you have in %PATH%, but possible (and useful) with other ones too.

In general, if application assumes to have cd=exe dir, it's a bug. (*)

(*) Well, unless application is not supposed to be used separately, but only with some other thing that ensures the equation holds. But such apps don't have own entries anyway.
Andrew? Please say at least "I don't agree, I won't change it". It would be much better than nothing...

m^(2)

#48 Post by m^(2) »

A thing lacking: some programs support OSes other than Windows. How about extending the list?

BTW the News subforum seems to be the only place where I have BBCode off.

chadross

#49 Post by chadross »

So I've now had two apps that i have added get enough points to be active. Since i added these apps they have been edited by other users. It seems that once they were edited by other users that i no longer get credit for them as i still have a rating of 0. Is the database using the same field to track the added/updated user?

freakazoid

#50 Post by freakazoid »

chadross wrote:So I've now had two apps that i have added get enough points to be active. Since i added these apps they have been edited by other users. It seems that once they were edited by other users that i no longer get credit for them as i still have a rating of 0. Is the database using the same field to track the added/updated user?
Andrew's working on it:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 242#p21242

CodesAway

#51 Post by CodesAway »

I was told that this might be a better place to post my suggestion. You can read the original post at http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 373#p21373, which is probably a better place to read it, since BBCode seems to be disabled in this forum.

What if for each program in the database, the one-line Webversions data was given in the product info. Now, there is no reason to do this for the programs already in the database, just for the new ones (and updated ones) as they are added - similar to how the newer programs have a "what's new" segment.

For those that don't know, Webversions is a program that can be used to keep your software (portable software too) up-to-date. Check the program's description (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1534) for more detail.

When a user submits a file to the database, have them enter the Webversions one-liner for that program. Then, Andrew could add this along with the other data (e.g. license, system requirements, etc.). Also, have a "[?]" link (like the one seen next to "Stealth") that links to a section in the FAQ, which describes how to use the Webversions data.

For example, (at the time of writing this) the latest program was SIV (version 4.04).
So, for SIV, the Webversions would look like the below example (omitting the info and tab names, which are afterwards).
In the original posting, the "?", as well as the word "Webversions" (for readability), currently links to my original post. I removed them in this post, since BBCode is not supported in this forum.

SIV V4.04
System Requirements: Win95 / Win98 / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXP / Vista / Win7
Webversions [?]: SIV;4.04;4.04;http://rh-software.com/;false;<;Version;;;;
What's new: >>

This would allow the user to easily add the program to their Webversions database when they download the latest version, while allowing them to keep their existing tab names/info (since they appear at the end).

freakazoid

#52 Post by freakazoid »

Seems like my rank dropped from 5 to 4.

I think this happened because I originally suggested the app, but did not fill in the "Suggested by" field and then, another member updated the listing, and my credit for suggesting the app no longer applies.

No biggie, but just wanted to bring up the programming logic to Andrew.

Andrew Lee

#53 Post by Andrew Lee »

m^(2) wrote:BTW the News subforum seems to be the only place where I have BBCode off.
That gave me the hint. After digging thru the permission of this subforum, I think I have nailed the problem.
chadross wrote:So I've now had two apps that i have added get enough points to be active. Since i added these apps they have been edited by other users. It seems that once they were edited by other users that i no longer get credit for them as i still have a rating of 0. Is the database using the same field to track the added/updated user?
I am still working on this. Once the bug is fixed, all ranks will be recalculated correctly.
CodesAway wrote:What if for each program in the database, the one-line Webversions data was given in the product info. Now, there is no reason to do this for the programs already in the database, just for the new ones (and updated ones) as they are added - similar to how the newer programs have a "what's new" segment.
Sounds like an excellent idea! Gimme some time to get up to speed with Webversion, and I will get it out.

Andrew Lee

#54 Post by Andrew Lee »

I am still working on this. Once the bug is fixed, all ranks will be recalculated correctly.
@chadross/freakazoid: Fixed! Please let me know if you notice any other discrepencies. Thanks!
guinness wrote:I'm having a problem with [@] and [username]
Fixed! Sorry about that.
m^(2) wrote:A thing lacking: some programs support OSes other than Windows. How about extending the list?
:?: This site is Windows-only. I thought that part was obvious. Why complicate things?
m^(2) wrote:Andrew? Please say at least "I don't agree, I won't change it". It would be much better than nothing...
I disagree. I won't change it. There. :D

I think CWD = EXEDIR is the most common case. Yes, I agree that can be changed in many ways, but if the user is trying to use the app in a portable manner, then he better make sure CWD = EXEDIR and not try anything funny.

CodesAway

#55 Post by CodesAway »

Andrew Lee wrote:
CodesAway wrote:What if for each program in the database, the one-line Webversions data was given in the product info. Now, there is no reason to do this for the programs already in the database, just for the new ones (and updated ones) as they are added - similar to how the newer programs have a "what's new" segment.
Sounds like an excellent idea! Gimme some time to get up to speed with Webversion, and I will get it out.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

freakazoid

#56 Post by freakazoid »

Andrew Lee wrote:@chadross/freakazoid: Fixed! Please let me know if you notice any other discrepencies. Thanks!
:)

chadross

#57 Post by chadross »

freakazoid wrote:
Andrew Lee wrote:@chadross/freakazoid: Fixed! Please let me know if you notice any other discrepencies. Thanks!
:)
I'll second that :D
Thanks Andrew...

Lupo73

#58 Post by Lupo73 »

Is it normal that some software have 0 in user popularity when have more than 10 in editor popularity?

These some examples: HashMyFiles (0/26), ArcConvert (0/18), SpaceSniffer (0/15), File Replicator (0/20) and go on.

It's strange because even if users don't like them, it's improbable that no one find these apps useful.

freakazoid

#59 Post by freakazoid »

@Lupo

I guess these new entries are too new to have popularity scores; over time it should increase though.

Also, only logged-in users see the editor's votes anyway.

donald

#60 Post by donald »

A possible addition to the Application entry function.

I think it would be nice to have a direct Pm link from the name of the submitter and or the 'suggested by' person, and or the voters for an application.

This would make communicating with people who should be knowledgeable about the application easy.

And before anyone else says it, yes I know I can just copy past the username and PM them that way but I think this would be easier and faster. (When using the database not the forums.)

I also note that it might reduce the user comments that would otherwise inform others, but it would also lead to the addition of useful information to the database entry as the PMed users would likely add to or edit the entry to make it more clear/informative.

Previously posted in wrong forum.