Forum upgraded to phpBB V3

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.

Which phpBB3 board style do you prefer?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:57 am

prosilver
11%
subsilver2
78%
don't care
11%

Total votes: 9

freakazoid

Re: Forum upgraded to phpBB V3

#16 Post by freakazoid »

Andrew, you also need to install some anti-spam plugins for phpBB.

You can go with Akismet for general forum spam and reCAPTCHA for forum registration.

Zach Thibeau

#17 Post by Zach Thibeau »

well I suggested to him in a pm something called the antispam acp which is made by a modification team member of phpbb and it works pretty good :) but I think he's trying something first to combat the spam

freakazoid

#18 Post by freakazoid »

I'm not experienced with phpBB, Zach.
You would know more than I do. ;)

Was just looking into Akismet for phpBB v3 and it looks like that mod hasn't been properly made yet.
The reCAPTCHA mod is still in beta.

Here's a good thread I came across for phpBB anti-spam suggestions:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1437125

Also found a PHPBB v3 Remove spam mod:
-uses a .txt file to filter out spam keywords, the script runs a database search on your entire forum and allows you to moderate from there... could be worth a shot.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 95&start=0

M@tty

#19 Post by M@tty »

The upgrade seems to have changed the forum RSS feed... reply posts now longer show with 'RE:' at the beginning. This is quite frustrating.

Andrew Lee

#20 Post by Andrew Lee »

or how about enabling subsilver2 as an option as I love prosilver personally and people can use subsilver2 if they want
I would prefer not to support multiple styles because I am wary of future maintenance. It took quite a bit of work to integrate RSS support into prosilver, and I would expect the same for another style.

That said, if you guys are divided between prosilver and subsilver2, I am not opposed to supporting both styles. But don't expect this board to support 10-20 styles! :D But I'd still prefer if we can compromise on one style eg. subsilver2.
Here's a good thread I came across for phpBB anti-spam suggestions:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1437125
Thanks! It contains some good information that I will bear in mind.

M@tty

#21 Post by M@tty »

[quote="Andrew Lee"]It took quite a bit of work to integrate RSS support into prosilver[/quote]
Andrew, does that mean as part of the integration you made the conscious decision to remove the leading 'RE:' from replies? Or are you merely referring to the integration of the orange RSS buttons into the forum?

If the former, can I ask why?

Andrew Lee

#22 Post by Andrew Lee »

Andrew, does that mean as part of the integration you made the conscious decision to remove the leading 'RE:' from replies?
Well, the previous RSS mod had to be discarded because it has not been upgraded to support phpBB3, so I had to install another RSS mod that does support phpBB3.

I am still tinkering with the new RSS mod, so there are things that need to be improved. The "Re:" function is what I'm going to work on next.

BTW, the RSS reader I use (GreatNews) does not support threading of topics with/without "Re:". So the original topic and the "Re:" topics are separated, sometimes miles apart. Do you guys have the same problem with your RSS readers?

I was thinking was putting the "Re:" at the back of the topic title eg. "Forum upgraded to phpBB V3 {Re}" so that the original topic and the reply topics can be grouped together. What do you guys think?

M@tty

#23 Post by M@tty »

My RSS reader (Feedreader) doesn't do any fancy grouping of things, so any form of visually displaying in the title of the RSS entry that the entry is a reply would be helpful.

Personally I would prefer 'RE:' at the start on the grounds that this is a fixed length string, and thus very easy to spot when scanning through thread titles. If it was at the end, then it is not necessarily vertically in the same position (unless the RSS reader was right-aligned) making it harder to see which are replies and which are new threads.

Just my two cents.

m^(2)

#24 Post by m^(2) »

I have a huge issue with this forum.
I can't login with Firefox. If I click "Login", I'm moved to the "Login successful" page, which redirects me to the main page, where I'm logged off. I remember that some time there was a similar issue related to dropping "www" prefix in the address, but it's not the case. :(
Also, when one is logged off there's no way to contact the administrators, it *really* should be fixed.

On the topic about the new forum:
Where's advanced search? The current one feels really inconvenient to me.

freakazoid

#25 Post by freakazoid »

Hey Andrew,

The RSS feed pulling the latest forum topics is appending "localhost" to the actual link to the forum post.
Meaning the "Recent forum postings" links are broken!

donald

#26 Post by donald »

this may be related to the upgrade and it may not

when trying links on the front page/homepage to recent posts I have found that the links do not work properly
I get a Loading error and a Page Load error respectively in QTWeb and Firefox
an example link http://localhost/portablefreeware.com/f ... hp?p=18304

by deleting http://localhost/ and hitting enter it works

but I just thought you should know this it is posted as its own thread as well

*************************************************************************************************************
As an aside in spite of any changes I still love the site and as long as it remains I will use it even if it is pink with purple polka dots whatever keep Andrew interested
Thanks Andrew Lee

Andrew Lee

#27 Post by Andrew Lee »

I can't login with Firefox. If I click "Login", I'm moved to the "Login successful" page, which redirects me to the main page, where I'm logged off. I remember that some time there was a similar issue related to dropping "www" prefix in the address, but it's not the case. :(
You need to clear the existing cookies for "portablefreeware.com", then login again. You should only need to do it once

This can be done under Tools, Options, Privacy, Cookies, Show Cookies. Then search for "portablefreeware.com", select all and remove cookies.
Where's advanced search? The current one feels really inconvenient to me.
The advanced search can be found when you move the mouse cursor just below the search box. Now that you mention it, maybe I should modify the style and make it permanent instead of rollover (prosilver default).
The RSS feed pulling the latest forum topics is appending "localhost" to the actual link to the forum post.
Meaning the "Recent forum postings" links are broken!
Weird bug. Thanks for highlighting it. I have fix the issue.

m^(2)

#28 Post by m^(2) »

[quote="Andrew Lee"][quote]I can't login with Firefox. If I click "Login", I'm moved to the "Login successful" page, which redirects me to the main page, where I'm logged off. I remember that some time there was a similar issue related to dropping "www" prefix in the address, but it's not the case. :([/quote]

You need to clear the existing cookies for "portablefreeware.com", then login again. You should only need to do it once

This can be done under Tools, Options, Privacy, Cookies, Show Cookies. Then search for "portablefreeware.com", select all and remove cookies.
[/quote]
Thank you, it helped. :)
[quote="Andrew Lee"][quote]Where's advanced search? The current one feels really inconvenient to me.[/quote]

The advanced search can be found when you move the mouse cursor just below the search box. Now that you mention it, maybe I should modify the style and make it permanent instead of rollover (prosilver default).[/quote]
I thought it's a rhetorical question because it's gone. :lol:
Nicely hidden. :D

freakazoid

#29 Post by freakazoid »

Wow... I don't believe the RSS feed for the "Recent Forum Postings" was so important to my frequent trips to this website!
I'm having a hard time navigating the forums without it! :p

joby_toss

#30 Post by joby_toss »

Small question: is it really necessary that all those bots appear online like registered users? Can't they be hidden somehow?