Application categorization

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Andrew Lee

Application categorization

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have made two big changes to application categorization.

1) I have flatten everything and removed the category/subcategory hierarchy.

2) I have restructured the database so that an application can now be classified under multiple categories.

I feel this change is long overdue. It is always very awkward to pigeon-hole an app into a particular cat/subcat when the app plays multiple roles or provide multiple functions.

The new code is still raw, so please let me know if you spot any bug.

Also, if you have suggestions for renaming categories, reclassifying an existing app etc., feel free to drop me a note.

Thanks!

Zach Thibeau

#2 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Nice feature ^_^

USB_Kx

#3 Post by USB_Kx »

Thank you Andrew Lee for all your work in this site.

Checker

#4 Post by Checker »

Local

#5 Post by Local »

Wow, that's going to take some getting used to.

It's looking great.
This site seems to be getting better every time I look.

Thank you Andrew Lee for all your work in this site.
Yup, I agree totally ^,^

Ennovy

#6 Post by Ennovy »

I agree, TPFC is a great site!
And this modification makes it even better. 8)

Thanks Andrew

PhrkOnLsh

#7 Post by PhrkOnLsh »

Not to be prickly, but is there any way to have at least the option to view it hierarchically?

When I'm trying to show friends or family around TPFC, it's often difficult to find certain categories that I used to be able to simply subdir into (like encryption/decryption is a hard category to find for me, for some reason) and certain games cannot be easily categorized, or the categories are named oddly.

Perhaps have it like:

Or something along those lines; keep the general categories, while still having the features you've added...

ps, I know that picture is garbage, I rushed through MSPaint in two minutes :)

Andrew Lee

#8 Post by Andrew Lee »

Sorry, can't be done. The cat/subcat structure is gone forever. Rah hah hah hah!!! God, I am going crazy. :D

Anyway, if you spot any categories being named oddly, just drop me a note and things can be fixed. Or if you feel that any category can be named better, do let me know as well.

I feel there isn't any inherent advantage to the cat/subcat structure that cannot be accommodated under the flat hierarchy.

Fluffy

#9 Post by Fluffy »

Although we can't get the categories to be in a tree style, it would be nice if we made some modifications to the names so that they were better organized. Games - Action, System - Backup/Restore and so on. Since it's alphabetical this should do a fair job of giving people general areas to look for what they want.

By the way, PhrkOnLsh, that's one of the funniest pics I've seen all week. Thanks! :D

Quick question for Andrew: Why is TuxPaint in its own little "Art" category? Artweaver isn't even in there! :P

PhrkOnLsh

#10 Post by PhrkOnLsh »

Fluffy wrote: By the way, PhrkOnLsh, that's one of the funniest pics I've seen all week. Thanks! :D
:P I was in a hurry... :)

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

Although we can't get the categories to be in a tree style, it would be nice if we made some modifications to the names so that they were better organized. Games - Action, System - Backup/Restore and so on. Since it's alphabetical this should do a fair job of giving people general areas to look for what they want.
Hmmm, that seems fair. Damn! You guys really know how to soak up every bit of my available time. Just when I had a nice Sunday afternoon coming up... :D OK, I will try to fix up the category names.
Quick question for Andrew: Why is TuxPaint in its own little "Art" category? Artweaver isn't even in there! Razz
I think Artweaver was formally under "Education/Art". Since the top cat was removed, it automatically became "Art". It doesn't seem appropriate to put it under "Image Editors", so... Well, with the category name fixup, this wouldn't be a problem anymore.

Fluffy

#12 Post by Fluffy »

Bah, to hell with your free time. You are bringing geeks OUT of their mothers' basements with this site and we're gonna make sure that your dream is realized, even if that interferes with your petty "needs" like happiness and fulfillment. ;)

Andrew Lee

#13 Post by Andrew Lee »

Code: Select all

You are bringing geeks OUT of their mothers' basements with this site...
My goodness! Talk about opening Pandora's box! :D

Anyhow, I am 90% done with renaming the categories. Now I am in the midst of recategorizing all the apps that have been thrown into "Miscellaneous".

If you spot anything amiss or just plain wrong, please drop me a message and I will get around to fixing it eventually.

Fluffy

#14 Post by Fluffy »

Andrew Lee wrote:Anyhow, I am 90% done with renaming the categories. Now I am in the midst of recategorizing all the apps that have been thrown into "Miscellaneous".

If you spot anything amiss or just plain wrong, please drop me a message and I will get around to fixing it eventually.
And it's looking much more organized now, very nice Andrew. :) If there's a categorization problem with a certain app I'd also be happy to help out, so let us know folks.

Checker

#15 Post by Checker »

And again: