It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:19 am
Posts: 2158
@freakazoid: I suspect I messed something up between the test and production region. I made sure both regions are identical now with regards to this module, and verified the bug has been fixed. Thanks for reporting this!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:18 am
Posts: 360
Location: London, UK
I've not been on PFC recently because of all the problems with the new design.
Have to say that it's now perfectly usable!
I am surprised that I have to run it in Compatibility View. (I'm on Vista Home Premium).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Posts: 1719
Location: Helsinki, Finland
JohnW wrote:
I've not been on PFC recently because of all the problems with the new design.
Have to say that it's now perfectly usable!
I am surprised that I have to run it in Compatibility View. (I'm on Vista Home Premium).


As tproli already said, unconditional reload (Ctrl-F5) helps as well.

_________________
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 11th playlist: January 26, 2018


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Suggestion !
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:14 am
Posts: 253
Location: Norway
What about
Image

to this
Image

I think It's nicer look and less space :wink:

http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/flags/

_________________
<<---It have to be STEALTH !!!--->>


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:14 am
Posts: 1165
Location: Hungary
There is no "Languages" field, they can be added only to the "Description" section of the entry.
(though I would be happy to see a multilanguage field)

_________________
yet another PortablizerList of programs made portable by yaP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:14 am
Posts: 253
Location: Norway
oh ops I thought it was...........sorry :? Maybe in future :wink:

_________________
<<---It have to be STEALTH !!!--->>


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Posts: 7423
Location: US, Texas
Wolfghost wrote:
oh ops I thought it was...........sorry :? Maybe in future :wink:

tproli suggested the idea a while back and some of the folks on the site (myself included) have taken it upon ourselves to update entries with Language information. I think language support is a sign of project maturity as well as long-term viability.

However, if we do go the flag route, I'd recommend it it for language-specific websites. I only say so because that's what I'd expect: there's semi-universal convention that when you click on a flag, it goes to something with that flag's language (British/American flag for English, Brazil for Portuguese, etc.). If you click on a flag and it's not in that native language or at least dual-lingual like WinPenPack's Italian+English combo, I think that would be confusing.

_________________
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:35 pm
Posts: 324
Bug report: Please check the last comment (by Ennovy 2012-06-17 06:38) at DropIt
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1531

note: mouseover hyperlink

~Ruby


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:14 am
Posts: 1165
Location: Hungary
Long link word-wrap issue in Chrome, fixed:
http://test.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1531

_________________
yet another PortablizerList of programs made portable by yaP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:14 am
Posts: 253
Location: Norway
webfork wrote:
However, if we do go the flag route, I'd recommend it it for language-specific websites. I only say so because that's what I'd expect: there's semi-universal convention that when you click on a flag, it goes to something with that flag's language (British/American flag for English, Brazil for Portuguese, etc.). If you click on a flag and it's not in that native language or at least dual-lingual like WinPenPack's Italian+English combo, I think that would be confusing.


I like your idea and we should go for it :wink:

_________________
<<---It have to be STEALTH !!!--->>


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:59 pm
Posts: 1
I also agree with you...But in a fix for the term "semi-universal convention"? what does it mean?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Posts: 7423
Location: US, Texas
ToddSword wrote:
I also agree with you...But in a fix for the term "semi-universal convention"? what does it mean?


Breaking it down:

  • Semi-universal: Something that almost everyone does regardless of language. (I say "almost" because anthropology shows there are very few universals across the human condition.)
  • Convention: In every instance of a mechanism, the interface is the same

Thus, clicking on the flag has an expected result in every software I've seen: going to the language associated with that flag (Japanese flag for Japanese, British flag for English, Brazil [usually] for Portuguese).

_________________
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:09 am
Posts: 3887
Location: Sol3
I don't see why English is represented by the mother country flag (UK) and Portuguese gets the Brazilian flag -- what's the criteria in that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Posts: 7423
Location: US, Texas
Midas wrote:
I don't see why English is represented by the mother country flag (UK) and Portuguese gets the Brazilian flag -- what's the criteria in that?


Association: more people connect Portuguese with Brazil just by the fact that their economy and population are much bigger than Portugal. For programs that can support it (e.g. Firefox and LibreOffice), there are subtle differences in both: US and Australian English (which would have an their respective flags) and of course Portugal for "official" (or whatever) Portuguese.

_________________
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New TPFC website design by tproli is now live!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:09 am
Posts: 3887
Location: Sol3
webfork wrote:
Midas wrote:
I don't see why English is represented by the mother country flag (UK) and Portuguese gets the Brazilian flag -- what's the criteria in that?

Association: more people connect Portuguese with Brazil just by the fact that their economy and population are much bigger than Portugal.

Yes, I get that. But then, and following the same line of reasoning, English should be represented by the US flag, not the UK's... :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group