Various updates...

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Andrew Lee

Various updates...

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

Here are a couple of changes I managed to clobber together this weekend:

1. When posting comments that include keywords like virus, threat etc., a message box pops up and reminds you that comments about viruses detected in apps should be sent to the author or the TPFC web forums. Thanks to webfork for suggesting this.

2. When making edits to an entry that doesn't change its content (eg. change in formatting only), an error message will appear "None of the fields have been changed". Now, a checkbox "Force update" will appear at the end of the page (before the "Submit" button). If you check that and hit "Submit" again, you will be permitted to force update the entry.

3. I am playing around with displaying the screenshots using a lightbox. The current implementation is done using Lightbox 2. Let me know if you like this.

dmg

Re: Various updates...

#2 Post by dmg »

I like the way the screenshots look with lightbox. It does not appear to increase the time required to display the images. Are there any negatives to using it?

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

dmg wrote:I like the way the screenshots look with lightbox. It does not appear to increase the time required to display the images. Are there any negatives to using it?
The animation does seem to take some time to work before the image shows up, but I would say that it looks much more polished. I think most visitors would prefer it.
Andrew Lee wrote:"Force update" will appear at the end of the page
Very good idea.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

Now that you use Lightbox, is there a way we can add 2-3 representative screenshots for one app (Lightbox Image set)?
It looks cool but (gee, I'm afraid this is gonna sound really bad) it kinda' contrasts with the "old" design of the website... Old is not bad! And I don't want to offend anyone! I'm not an expert on web design and I may be very off on this one! It is my opinion that something new (colors, graphics, logos etc.) should be added also...

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

I somehow agree with your statement about updating the layout of TPFC, but with new design generally comes complexity to the site. I love how I can just post without having all the fuss, it's like an old Nokia, it does what it's supposed to do!

You're are right about the Lightbox not sitting with the rest of the site design, maybe its the logo (which I like) or the colours?

dot

Re: Comments not working?

#6 Post by dot »

I don't seem to be able to post my smart comments below an entry in the database anymore, whether logged out or logged in. The buttons [Preview] and [Post comment] don't work. I've disabled every possible little security feature I could think of and tried several browsers, and the buttons still don't work. Time of failed attempts: Sep 12th, about 15:30 GMT.

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

Ahhh... you seem to be right! I also can't add comments! (12.sept.2010 - 19:25:00 GMT)

dot

#8 Post by dot »

Glad you could confirm it, joby, as I can see new comments getting added all the while (easily to be detected in the new comment box). Strange.

Edit: well, at least webfork's latest comment on "Screeny" is new. Maybe commenting works for him because he's moderator.

bassiliin

#9 Post by bassiliin »

Damn, this new screenshot thingie. I really hate this. It's been annoying me since all suddenly discovered it and put in their galleries. Rolling slow bling-bling. Am I the only one who doesn't like this? And it also doesn't "fit" with the look of wesite.

Andrew Lee

#10 Post by Andrew Lee »

You're are right about the Lightbox not sitting with the rest of the site design, maybe its the logo (which I like) or the colours?
I don't get it. It's basically a big white rectangle where the image sits, and a "Close" button at the bottom left. What logo, or color?
I don't seem to be able to post my smart comments below an entry in the database anymore, whether logged out or logged in. The buttons [Preview] and [Post comment] don't work. I've disabled every possible little security feature I could think of and tried several browsers, and the buttons still don't work. Time of failed attempts: Sep 12th, about 15:30 GMT.
What browser/version are you using? Also, if you could bring up the Javascript console, could you please send me any error messages you see? I think it is probably related to the pre-submit logic I put in to check for virus, threats etc. in the comment.

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss »

Tried posting a comment for Clavier and got this in error console (Opera 10.61 with javascript enabled, on win7x64):
  • JavaScript - http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=983

Uncaught exception: TypeError: Cannot convert '$(element)' to object
    Error thrown at line 1685, column 4 in <anonymous function: ancestors>(element):
    return $(element).recursivelyCollect('parentNode');
    called from line 246, column 6 in <anonymous function: _methodized>():
    return __method.apply(null, [this].concat($A(arguments)));
    called via Function.prototype.apply() from line 3783, column 6 in <anonymous function: findElement>(event, expression):
    var elements = [element].concat(element.ancestors());
    called from line 246, column 6 in <anonymous function: _methodized>():
    return __method.apply(null, [this].concat($A(arguments)));
    called via Function.prototype.apply() from line 191, column 12 in <anonymous function: updateImageList>(event) in http://www.portablefreeware.com/lightbox/js/lightbox.js:
    var target = event.findElement('a[rel^=lightbox]') || event.findElement('area[rel^=lightbox]');
    called from line 209, column 6 in <anonymous function: bind>():
    return __method.apply(object, args.concat($A(arguments)));
    called via Function.prototype.apply() from line 3877, column 6 in <anonymous function>(event):
    handler.call(element, event);

dot

#12 Post by dot »

Wouldn't know what to post from the confusing results of the error consoles of the different browsers. But Opera's "Developer Tools" got this result for the two inactive buttons:

"Preview" button:
<input type="submit" name="preview" value="Preview" onclick="return disableCommentButtons();"/>

"Post comment" button:
<input type="submit" name="post" value="Post comment" onclick="return disableCommentButtons();"/>

grannyGeek

#13 Post by grannyGeek »

But about those new screenshots.....
They are attractive, and fast to load on this *fast* connection and pc (don't know how they'll be at the local library with dial-up).

But I like the old method better when they open on a separate page, I find it easier to refer back and forth between description/comments and the illustration.
And I'm one of those dreadful people who likes to save copies of interesting web-pages, and saving a gif file just isn't the same....

well, it's only granny grumping, so I'll adjust.

Hydaral

#14 Post by Hydaral »

bassiliin wrote:Damn, this new screenshot thingie. I really hate this. It's been annoying me since all suddenly discovered it and put in their galleries. Rolling slow bling-bling. Am I the only one who doesn't like this? And it also doesn't "fit" with the look of wesite.
I hate Lightbox too, but I usually open images in a new window and thankfully Lightbox has been coded with this in mind, so it doesn't really annoy me that much.

usdcs

#15 Post by usdcs »

Not so good on my BlackBerry Bold. The screenshot link simply doesn't work, which might be OK. But, I often log on to the site from my phone.

I don't know if it is possible to test for mobile browser and to modify the behavior.

Ref:
BlackBerry Bold 9700
RIM Browser: v5.0.0

Hmmm... Might have to try Opera for my BB again.