yaP - yet another Portablizer

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Midas

Re: yaP - yet another Portablizer

#301 Post by Midas »

tproli wrote:In theory yaP could copy contents of a dir with random name using wildcard (ICE.exe_Url_* - currently not implemented). However, this wouldn't solve the "restore settings" part because yaP has no clue what name the settings directory will get.
  • I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to record the original folder location? As in using wildcards to harvest the settings folder, but then restoring it to its original path? Or else, how about editing settings files for a generic folder path? :?:

tproli

#302 Post by tproli »

yaP restores settings BEFORE the main app is launched - therefore there is nothing to do if the app decides to use another directory. The main problem here is that I don't know what forces a .net app to use a different folder than before.

freakazoid

#303 Post by freakazoid »

Here's a yaP file for FileSeek:

Code: Select all

http://www.fileseek.ca/

[GENERAL]
application = App\FileSeek.exe
!dotnet = 2.0!

[BEFORE]
uservar = REGKEY :: HKCU\Software\Binary Fortress Software\FileSeek
regkey = {REGKEY} :: Data\
+regvalue = {REGKEY} :: DisableShellHooks :: 1 :: REG_DWORD
+regvalue = {REGKEY} :: AutoUpdate :: 0 :: REG_DWORD
+regvalue = {REGKEY} :: AutoUpdateBeta :: 0 :: REG_DWORD
FileSeek is similar to SearchMyFiles and Ultra File Search Lite, but requires .NET Framework 2.0.

I find it slower than SearchMyFiles, but it has an "Exclude Path" feature that you can use to omit folders of the same name across different searches, which I find the most useful. FileSeek also has a text preview that some may like.
is it stealth? ;)

tproli

#304 Post by tproli »

rbon

#305 Post by rbon »

Hi tproli,
I like the program "Bit Che" as portable. It's a very powerful Torrent Search.

This program was presented on this forum by midas at this post http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... it=bit+che
You can download the last build (3.5 build 14) from convivea.com, from this page http://convivea.com/forums/index.php/to ... l#msg21242 and download the file "bit_che.exe" http://convivea.com/forums/index.php?ac ... ttach=2306
In short the executable bit_che.exe is standalone but not portable: when You launch it, it write on '{userappdata}\Convivea\Bit_Che\3' because in his "settings.ini" in the [Options] block there is the parameter "Portable=0" instead of 1 (= portable).

Do You can make this program as portable and write in file "settings.ini" the parameter "Portable=1"?
Thank in advance.
Last edited by rbon on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

tproli

#306 Post by tproli »

Nice app and suggestions, thanks! Now I can download much more linux distros as before :)

It seems that when Bit Che downloads all required files, it regenerates settings.ini too (I started out with Bit_Che.exe only).
Because of this, Portable=1 is lost. On second run yaP fixes this, so no worries. I also added an extra iniwrite to the AFTER section to force having Portable=1 after first run too.

http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/#examples/Bit%20Che.ini

rbon

#307 Post by rbon »

Thank You tproli for the Bit_Che script :D

I have checked on Convivea.com: there is a thread about Bit_Che portable http://convivea.com/forums/index.php/topic,2415.45.html and the author says:
"just put 'settings.ini' in the same directory as 'Bit_Che.exe' and it automatically behaves as Portable."
... but I have not yet tried.

Thank You again
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

tproli

#308 Post by tproli »

Yes, it seems so (just tried). The following reg key keeps created but no biggie:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\bc

Userfriendly

#309 Post by Userfriendly »

tproli wrote:Yes, it seems so (just tried). The following reg key keeps created but no biggie:

I've noticed after running Bit_Che a couple times and making sure this config option is "Install_BC_URLSearchHandler=0" or in Preference > General > "Use BC:// and allow searches from Web Browsers" is unchecked and greyed out. It stopped creating that reg key after that.

So what I did after a few tests I added these in the settings.ini file instead of only portable=1:

[Options]
Version=3
Portable=1
Voila!

not created and portable=1 persists after first run and "Install_BC_URLSearchHandler=0" is already set.

So in short, "Version=3" is also required for portable mode to work.

I had wondered about this recently in this thread. Reg key problem didn't affect me so I did not bother to figure it out until now.

rbon

#310 Post by rbon »

tproli wrote:Nice app and suggestions, thanks! Now I can download much more linux distros as before :)
When You find your Linux distros then right-click on related torrent file, select your favorite torrent client and download start automatically-
1. Tixati portable 32bit and 64bit: look this post http://convivea.com/forums/index.php/to ... l#msg21283
2. uTorrent portable: look this post http://convivea.com/forums/index.php/to ... l#msg21286

Here are related .ini setting that You must copy in "\scripts\other\external".
Attachments
uTorrent portable_ini.rar
(165 Bytes) Downloaded 241 times
Tixati portable 64bit_ini.rar
(185 Bytes) Downloaded 218 times
Tixati portable 32bit_ini.rar
(185 Bytes) Downloaded 237 times

tproli

#311 Post by tproli »

@Userfriendly
Nice find, thanks. I have updated the config.

@rbon
The script also accepts relative paths, which is great. Thanks!

sgp

#312 Post by sgp »

tproli, may I suggest this distro for your linux search? I'm serious, I think it fits your creative type and it's an excellent - portable - distro. Fatdog64 700
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97855

tproli

#313 Post by tproli »

Currently I'm fine with my current Windows setup and I don't have to try a whole new thing (even if for the good :)).
Thanks for the suggestion, I will know where to start when the time comes :)

Midas

#314 Post by Midas »

Dear tproli, I request your help for solving a riddle I'm facing in creating a yaP launcher for a program that needs different copies of the same two files, in accordance to executable bitness...

I could easily do it with a batch, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Would you know a way of setting a user variable to 'x64' or 'x32' by testing the system environment for the presence or absence of '%PROGRAMW6432%'?

Like that I could use just a couple of "->file" keywords -- the path would be composed of the invariant strings and the variable content (e.g., "->file = Data\{USERVAR}\filename ...").

Thanks in advance. :razz:

tproli

#315 Post by tproli »

Not sure if the latest beta (uploaded minutes ago) can solve this, but there's a slight chance:

v0.6.5 build 287 beta

- NEW: ini keys ending with "X64" are executed only if:
  - yaP is running on 64bit Windows, and
  - the "application" key has a second exe set (indicating that yaP is running in X64 mode)

Example:
  application = App\App.exe :: App\AppX64.exe
  envvar = JAVA_HOME :: {YAPROOT}\jre
  envvarX64 = JAVA_HOME :: {YAPROOT}\jre64

The first exe must be set even if the application does not support 32bit:
  application = NULL :: App\AppX64.exe

- NEW: ini keys ending with "X86" are executed only if yaP is not running on 64bit Windows
- FIXED: keep passed parameters when yaP is restarted in admin mode
- FIXED: adding registry values failed if contained spaces
The X64 version is not updated to the latest but it wil be fixed a few hours later.

http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/bin/yaP-latest-beta.zip