AutoRun LWMenu

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
lwc

AutoRun LWMenu

#1 Post by lwc »

AutoRun LWMenu is a freeware (May 2017 update, as originally it was a time unlimited shareware).
It's a control menu that can launch applications, URLs, system commands, etc.
The thing is that it's not only portable itself, but can make the launched apps portable too (like PortableApps, not like JauntePE).

You basically get the benefits of PortableApps Suite without having to download the whole package + set up PortableApps Launcher for each and every semi-portable program out there that's not official supported by PortableApps.

File listing:
https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2887

lwc

Re: AutoRun LWMenu

#2 Post by lwc »

Now that it's freeware, please help make it public.

TP109

#3 Post by TP109 »

On launch, I only show three buttons, Browse Folder, Edit autorun.inf, and Close menu. The inf file shows several more buttons already configured. Doesn't at all look like the screenshots page: https://sites.google.com/site/lwmenu/screenshots

I'm running XP 32-bit SP3

lwc

#4 Post by lwc »

If you have the program and autorun.inf within the same folder, and still see only the built-in buttons, it probably means your system doesn't give the program access to autorun.inf.

Of the top of my head, please try the following:
  1. Is the Edit button grayed out with a "File not found" message? Or can you click it?
  2. Did you enter the program directly or through a shrotcut? A shortcut may accidentally be configured to use another folder than the one autorun.inf resides in.
  3. Enter Autorun.inf's properties, unblock it if it's blocked (see screenshot), and click OK.
    Although in my newer OS, it works even without doing this.
If none of these steps help, I can't trace this problem in my own system.
I can give you a special version that will output some error checking.
Attachments
Unblocking.png

TP109

#5 Post by TP109 »

lwc wrote:Of the top of my head, please try the following:

1. Is the Edit button grayed out with a "File not found" message? Or can you click it?
2. Did you enter the program directly or through a shrotcut? A shortcut may accidentally be configured to use another
folder than the one autorun.inf resides in.
3. Enter Autorun.inf's properties, unblock it if it's blocked (see screenshot), and click OK.
Although in my newer OS, it works even without doing this.
No, the Edit button is fine and works. I launched the program directly. No unblock option exists in the properties tab for the inf file. Here is what it looks like:

Last edited by TP109 on Sat May 27, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

lwc

#6 Post by lwc »

Then I have to rely on you to see where's the problem.
Please run this beta in the same folder:
[temp link removed]
It's supposed to output the relevant error. Please give me a screenshot.
Last edited by lwc on Sat May 27, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

TP109

#7 Post by TP109 »

Here is the beta file error output:

Looking at that error, it seems likely that it could be related to auto-run being disabled. Going to take a look at my registry settings.

edit:
If the error is due to registry settings for auto-run, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to change that just to run this program. I must have changed that a while ago for security reasons, but forgot about it over time. And if that is the cause, if I'm experiencing this problem, others surely will too. Not certain that using an inf file is really a good idea in the first place. An ini file should be less problematic I would think.

lwc

#8 Post by lwc »

The program uses Autorun.inf because it originated from the need to put menus in CD-ROMs.
What I don't understand is if it's blocked for you, how can your Notepad open it?

I've added another way to read the file (for the purposes of output alone), please try and share the screenshot:
[temp link removed]
Last edited by lwc on Sat May 27, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TP109

#9 Post by TP109 »

Uploaded full output in txt format (using textify) and a partial screenshot to the below link:
http://ge.tt/8sguXGk2

Only a partial screenshot was possible since the output dialog overlaps the height of the PC screen:

lwc

#10 Post by lwc »

So there is access to Autorun.inf, but only if I treat it like a plain text file, how weird.
Please rename Autorun.inf into Autorun.ini, then run the following version and tell me if it worked:
[temp link removed]
Last edited by lwc on Sat May 27, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TP109

#11 Post by TP109 »

That worked. If the intention is to use an ini file going forward, then the name AutoRun LWMenu wouldn't apply. This program really needs to be re-evaluated a bit more, including its UI IMO.

lwc

#12 Post by lwc »

This is what this thread is for. Your input is valuable.

Let's see if the issue involves all your INF files or just Autorun.inf specifically.
Please rename (what now should be Autorun.ini) into TP109.inf, then try this version and report if it worked:
[temp link removed]
Last edited by lwc on Sun May 28, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

TP109

#13 Post by TP109 »

TP109 reporting sir. It worked. Same screenshot as before.

lwc

#14 Post by lwc »

Alright, please rename back to Autorun.inf.
My program makes a global call to Autorun.inf to pull its sections and then specific calls for each section.
The following version makes a bypass for the global call. If it works, you'll see a prompt of the list of sections.
Please tell me if the specific calls also need a bypass:
[temp link removed]
Last edited by lwc on Sun May 28, 2017 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

TP109

#15 Post by TP109 »

Edit: Got a couple of things confused because I'm testing from two different folders and had executed from both. Below are the correct screenshots.

This is what I get with ver 1.3.1.5 of the exe and using TP109.inf

This is all I get with ver 1.3.1.5 of the exe and using Autorun.inf
Last edited by TP109 on Sun May 28, 2017 5:00 am, edited 5 times in total.