DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
giulia

Re: DropIt

#1291 Post by giulia »

Lupo73 wrote:Unfortunately I'm very busy in these months, so I have very limited time for it.

Anyway, some answers:
@giulia and Kalagon, maybe in future (added to my list of planned features)
@ronhexy, you can check "ignore unassociated files/folders" in Options to avoid it
grazie Lupo73

a dropbox or other similar service support would be really awesome

zombiehype

#1292 Post by zombiehype »

Hello!
I got a question and oddly this is the only official forum I could find about this great software. Maybe someone here can answer this question.
I mainly use the folder monitoring function to organize stuff that I download via torrent, and so fai I love it. In this specific case, I'm trying to aumatically move tv show files from the download folder to their own.
For other reasons, I have to download my files in c:\video folder, while the specific shows are in subfolders like c:\video\The walking dead
Automating the moving of the file with thi structure is quite tricky, though. If I automate for any "c:\video\*.mp4" file (with a certain name) to be moved inside "c:\video\The walking dead" folder, the command will work correctly the first time. But on subsequent cycles, the file will be moved AGAIN from c:\video\The walking dead\" to "c:\video\the walking dead\the walking dead" and keep going deeper and deeper at each cycle.
This is because Dropit interprets "c:\video\*.mp4" to also be valid for "c:\video\*\*.mp4", and I know no way to limit the trigger to files that are in the \video folder only, and not its subfolders.
Since I also have other automations I can't fiddle with the "don't scan subfolders" options. I'd just like to have a way to say "c:\video\*.mp4" meaning "any mp4 inside video main folder, not its subfolders". Is there a way to achieve this with the rules string?

thanks!

Speedy_99

order of actions - 1. rename then 2 .copy then 3 . move ...

#1293 Post by Speedy_99 »

Hey,

I'm a newbie with dropit, but I tested FileJuggler and Hazel and I still have 2 questions to your top-of tool:

A. in monitored Folders:
Is it possible to apply more actions to a file in certain order?

1. rename then --> 2 .copy to ... then --> 3 . move ... etc.

B. Rules:
Different filters could combined by ";" or "|" this means any of that conditions could start the action.
How can I make have to fit all filters?

apologize my english

thx

Speedy

Kalagon

#1294 Post by Kalagon »

@zombiehype
There are two ways to do this:
1. you could uncheck "Scan subfolders and not try to process them" in the DropIt options;
2. it should also work to make the rule into a regular expression and exclude slashes -> "c:\video\[^\\]*.mp4" though I'm not sure if this works in the command line if that's what you're using.

and a 3rd but dirty way: specify the target folder as an absolute path instead of a relative one. the files will still be processed but will be "moved" into the same folder they are already in.

zombiehype

#1295 Post by zombiehype »

Thanks @Kalagon
unfortunately neither of your suggestions worked.
1. I checked the option but files INSIDE the subfolders keep being processed, so I'm not really sure what the option is supposed to do.
2. I used that expression (and checked "consider as regular expression") but none of the files are being processed, neither in the main folder or in the subfolders, as if DropIt doesn't recognize the expression. That was exactly what I was looking for, but unfortunately I'm not confident with RegEx enough to guess what's wrong.

Kalagon

#1296 Post by Kalagon »

Yeah, regex doesn't work all that well in rules. I have no idea why that is. With the option and the one right above it disabled it works flawlessly for me, my setup is a downloads folder where the files end up in an a _incomplete folder in it where the downloading files are stored. It only processes the files in the main folder. For western series it is also possible to use flexget with an rss feed, e.g. from eztv, and let it automatically download the files into the correct folders but that is a bit more work since those tools are a bit more complicated to get into.

zombiehype

#1297 Post by zombiehype »

Yeah thanks again @Kalagon. I ended up doing something similar, downloading my new torrents into a "_new" folder, so I can monitor only that one and move the files afterwards.
I use a similar service, called "showRss". I could set up my torrent client to distribute shows in their own folder, but doing it with dropit is easier :D
cheers!

Mister L

Can DropIt do this? Sort Files in created Subdirectorys by r

#1298 Post by Mister L »

Hello,

if found DropIt by googleing arount for a possible solution of the following problem:

I have tousands of files, which should be sorted into subdirectories according to a part of their names.

Example:
picture_AB_AB1234
picture_AB_AB1354
picture_AB_AB1356
:
picture_AB_AB2543
picture_BC_BC2345
picture_BC_BC2346
picture_BC_BC2347
:
picture_BC_BC2458
picture_FG_FG4567
picture_FG_FG4568
picture_FG_FG4569
:
picture_FG_FG5879
picture_FG_FG5880

Result should be:

subdirectories
picture_AB
with
picture_AB_AB1234
picture_AB_AB1354
picture_AB_AB1356
:
picture_AB_AB2543

picture_B
with
picture_BC_BC2345
picture_BC_BC2346
picture_BC_BC2347
:
picture_BC_BC2458

picture_FG
with
picture_FG_FG4567
picture_FG_FG4568
picture_FG_FG4569
:
picture_FG_FG5879
picture_FG_FG5880

So is there any possibility to do this with DropIt???
The subdirectories arent't existing before this, so DropIt should create them (according to the filenames) and move the files into the suitable subdirectories. (After that the subdiretories must be zipped seperately (so every subdirectory should gibe a single ZIP-file)).

I read the PDF Guide, but have no idea if it would be possible or not (and if, how)?

Has anybody a idea or (better) a solution for this?

Many many thanks in advance!
(and sorry for mistakes in english, because this isn't my native language)

bzl333

#1299 Post by bzl333 »

seems like there should be a file sorting program to do that or maybe someone could write you a script?

edit: Mister L, how about this one: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1682
Belvedere is an automated file management tool that works between two or more directories. It allows you to create advanced, multi-level rules to move, copy, delete, rename, or open files based on their name, extension, size, creation date, and more. Also allows for compression, recursive (all files and subfolders) copy, as well as recycle bin management.
nice thread here: http://lifehacker.com/341950/belvedere- ... leaning-pc

edit: also this one here might apply: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1836

MoveOut uses rules to move files from the desktop to a subfolder, based on file type, part of a file name, or whatever. Have it ask to replace existing files, or rename them. It can also ignore files.

also FileSieve 3 here: http://software.bootblock.co.uk/?id=filesieve3
FileSieve is an application created to help with the sorting of files and directories. Select the directories you would like to sort, choose a sorting method, and then click on Start and FileSieve will "sieve" the selected items according to the sorting method and any optional settings you have set.

FileSieve supports at least 13 sorting methods, is multi-threaded, allows you to pause the sieving process at any time, and is completely free. A donation is encouraged, but not required.

Kalagon

#1300 Post by Kalagon »

Yep,that's no problem with dropit. I can't write the whole thing right now but you should be able to do it. Hint: create a rule that sorts into folders using substrings (part of the name) , use the underscores to find it and create a custom variable with that.
You could also just create rules for *_AB_*.jpg *_FG_*.jpg etc and move them to folder./AB ./FG etc but that's a bit more to write, albeit simpler.

zombiehype

#1301 Post by zombiehype »

Hello! I'm having a little problem with my tv-series drop. Even if I have the option "ignore files if open by other applications", dropit keeps on trying to move files that are still being downloaded by bittorrent. Is it a known issue? I'll have to dump the whole automated job if this doesn't work (I can't even configure bittorrent to move the files in the monitored folder after they're finished, since I'm working with rss downloads)
thanks

Mark

DropIt - files with very long names

#1302 Post by Mark »

I'd like to suggest a new feature that, if added to DropIt, would allow for the moving and copying of files with very long names. Normally, I'd use Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier for special tasks like that (with some loss of time), but I’d very much prefer if it could be done automatically (while gaining some time).

Example:
Recently, I tried to move automatically a folder containing FLAC files with very long names from my desktop to a folder on my external hardrive. As a result, DropIt crashed.

No wonder considering the very length of the name of the first file in this particular folder:
"01. Rudolf Barshai, WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln - SYMPHONY No.12 in D minor, Op.112 'The Year 1917'- I. Revolutionary Petrograd- Moderato-Allegro-Più mosso-Allegro".

The question is whether an upgrade could produce some wonders (as far as the subject of long file names is concerned).

top_dollar

#1303 Post by top_dollar »

I noticed that when DropIT moves files it changes the permissions such that the user account cant do anything. This isnt a bit g problem because the account that moved the file can still access it but why does it change the permissions to begin with and can this be changed?

Midas

#1304 Post by Midas »

top_dollar wrote:I noticed that when DropIT moves files it changes the permissions such that the user account cant do anything. This isnt a bit g problem because the account that moved the file can still access it but why does it change the permissions to begin with and can this be changed?
  • I just noticed that you have double-posted this (http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 11&t=22075); once is more than enough, so please remove the other post before anyone comments on it (to other users: please refrain from doing it, or else only the moderator will be able to remove it)... :!:

webfork

#1305 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:I just noticed that you have double-posted this (http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 11&t=22075); once is more than enough
Fixed. Good catch, thanks.