DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Lupo73

Re: DropIt

#16 Post by Lupo73 »

So the problem could be linked to the autoit internal function that find window position of DropIt. Help me to understand: you simply open and close the software, without changing nothing (nor settings or position), and at the next run the icon has a new position? Or it happens only if you do some operations like Hide?

appreciative

#17 Post by appreciative »

Re: DropIt latest (0.5.3 beta) - creeping Icon issue

This may or may not help identify the problem, but I came across an oddity by accident in DropIt.

I tried to launch Dropit through a launcher application (Hot Corners2) only to find it only worked the first time correctly (then exit), after which I got a message "Software image not found. You need to have a "image gif" file to popup as software drop target" on restart of DropiIt (the software through the launcher). I was going to send you a screenshot of error, but could not upload here.

The following points seem pertinent here:

1. When I went to check the installation path for Dropit (inside the launcher), it defaulted to C:drive root.
2. Tried launching with PStart (another launcher I use and it worked perfectly each time (though the icon seem to jump around as per usual on the x:y axis.
3. The settings I have in PStart and HotCorners2 are the same (yet variable results)
4. All other programs work perfectly with both launchers I use

Perhaps this points to some coding errors within DropIt in path. maybe it is nothing at all ....

Hope this helps ...

appreciative

#18 Post by appreciative »

And a little more info... I provide the ini entries of the two launchers to see whether this might point to something. Again, perhaps nothing ...

HotCorners2 ini file configuration:

TL=D:\3.0.Operating\Z-Drive-PStart\USBApplications\DropIt\DropIt.exe

PStart ini file configuration:

USBApplications\DropIt\DropIt.exe

Both are the same except that one is relative and the other absolute

Lupo73

#19 Post by Lupo73 »

What you report me could be a different issue, linked to the path managing of DropIt. I have also changed the mode to manage the window position, to try to fix the previous issue. Try this new beta and check if these two issues persist:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/DropIt.zip

(I have added that error you report me, to alert user if image.gif is not found and to avoid to run its process as invisible to the user)

appreciative

#20 Post by appreciative »

OK. After some testing the following are the particulars on my system - XP Pro. Service Pack 2 no mods. Clean install just 2 days ago.

For this experiment I used no launchers or desktop shortcuts. Simply Start(ed) from the DropIt directory and exited through Exit command on icon. Importantly, no icon errors occurred using this start exit method.

Procedure:

1. Unlcock image position - through Settings dialog (right-click on icon to permit alignment 0:0)
2. Aligned icon to PosX=0; PosY=0
3. Locked image position - through Settings dialog
4. Took readings from ini file (at PosX=0; PosY=0) Reading 1
5. Exited then restarted application three times (Readings below 2-4)
6. Back to normal (PosX=0; PosY=0) after 3 restart and reproducible (it repeats)
---------- Readings----------
Reading 1: At unlock - Exit
[General]
PosX=0
PosY=0
LockPos=False
OnTop=True

Reading 2: Restart 1
Exit-Start
[General]
PosX=9
PosY=30
LockPos=True
OnTop=True

Reading 3: Restart 2
Exit-Start
[General]
PosX=20
PosY=61
LockPos=True
OnTop=True

Reading 4: Restart 3
Exit-Start (Back to normal)
[General]
PosX=0
PosY=0
LockPos=True
OnTop=True

Just thinking, why do you not permit for dropping files while the application is in the "hide" position in the system bar? That would mean that all the functionality that the desktop icon has would be Transferred or Duplicated in the hide position. Thereby users would have choice of one method or the other. At the end of the day the problem needs to be found too.

joby_toss

#21 Post by joby_toss »

0.5.3.0 final works ok for me.
Thanks!

Lupo73

#22 Post by Lupo73 »

All bugs seem to be fixed, except the very strange issue of appreciative. I'll go on with my tests, even if the issue is so strange and limited to your configuration that it's very hard to fix it. Try to do your test again, to verify if a new cycle of 4 runs produce the same results. Try also to run it again with HotCorners2, to check if now works fine.

About the drop support of the traybar icon, I thought it as first solution when I began to develop this software, but unfortunately it is not supported (I don't know if in general Windows could support it, but with AutoIt I can't add this feature). Sorry :mrgreen:

Lupo73

#23 Post by Lupo73 »

I have made another minor change in the code, to try to fix the issue:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/DropIt.zip

(if the issue persist, I give in ^^)

appreciative

#24 Post by appreciative »

Lupo73, thank you for your attention to this issue.

I downloaded the latest version (says 7:50 PM on build time), and it works with all launchers, shortcuts and on its own now.

I think I had it isolated while you were working on this, it was a problem with the 'lock" command. It seemed to work flawlessly if that was unchecked even in the previous version.

As for "drop support of the traybar icon ..." it was not something that was important to me. My needs were met some few versions ago.

Transparency - now that's another issue - Just being greedy now :mrgreen:

Thanks again.

Lupo73

#25 Post by Lupo73 »

Unfortunately transparency is another limitation. At the moment the software use gif images and gradient of transparency is not supported. In the future I could consider to create a major update that use png images and support it, but now I haven't so much time to develop this secondary feature.
Tomorrow I'll release an official minor release with all these fixes. :wink:

kuihdez

#26 Post by kuihdez »

The software is a very nice idea...

but who puts ALL his images in the same folder ?

Can't you at least make it look inside the file name for a pattern and put it in a folder if it matches the pattern ?

pleaaaaaaaaaaase. :)

Lupo73

#27 Post by Lupo73 »

I can do it, but I need your help to define pattern matching rules..

I have released the new minor update 0.5.3: http://www.lupopensuite.com/db/dropit.htm

kuihdez

#28 Post by kuihdez »

I'll offer my help anytime...

We have two ways of looking at this :

Instead of defining a file type like .jpg

why not ditch this filename thing and look at it in a more general way that combines filenames AND filetypes.

For example, instead of the file type, you type a string that should be recognized in the whole name of the file "name and type".

If people would like to function as the original dropit, they can just input .jpg there
others might want to have more flexibility, like *disney*.* will go to a folder called Disney Wallpapers.

One other thing we can do is assign folder to keyboard caracters.

You drop a HOLE folder in the dropit window, and dropit will popup telling you "THIS FILE" where do you want it, and it displays a list of folders on the right you already present, and you just press the caracter that is next to that folder and dropit will move files there (or copy depending on the setting)

that would cover ALL people needs.

I have a folder where i DUMP my hole internet browsing stuff and when i need to sort it out, it's a hell having to go to ALL those folder places to put the appropriate stuff into categories (involves a LOT of clicking, subfolders and moving copying)

Dropit would be great in that sense !

Firewrath

#29 Post by Firewrath »

Well, its nice to see how far this has come since i last stopped by, ^-^
and if i understand right, you did all this with AutoIt? O_o
if so, im impressed,
(im impressed anyways with how fast this is coming along, but yeah, :P)

and what kuihdez is talking about, is what i said before,
sorting by file name with wildcards, like him i also have a big folder that id love to separate some files from by name, and theres around 200 of them mixed in here and there, that id rather not do by hand, :P

Also, can you add a Temporary ignore option for 'unknown' file types?
like if i drag a folder onto dropit, and it contains a few file types i havnt set and dont want to set just yet, itd be nice to be able to skip them without adding them to the ignore list,
on that note, IF you do that, can you make a 2nd option to do it for All unknown file types for that single operation,
with big folders itd be annoying to click it every time it popped up, :P

...and ofcourse the whole 'command line' support bit would be nice also, ;)
Yes, technically im asking for all this a 2nd time, but eh, :P

Still though, Nice work so far, ^-^

Lupo73

#30 Post by Lupo73 »

Ok, I'm working on pattern use.. but what is the standard for pattern rules?
Something like:
*.zip
Disney.*
Disney*.*