DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
StarMan

Re: DropIt

#1231 Post by StarMan »

Downloaded DropIt today and loving it so far. I want to use it to archive (move) old files to a backup server. I've got it working the way I want except for the Destination Folder. For example: I want to move files from C:\User1\documents\customer\ and will drag the "customer" folder to DropIt. I want the files in customer to end up in \\nas01\archive\%variable name% where %variable name% is the name of the (current) folder I am dragging into DropIt plus any subfolders within that folder. If I use the %SubDir% variable, the current folder is not included. If I use %ParentDir%, I get the drive letter as part of the folder name. If I use %ParentDirName%, I only get the folder name of the subfolder that contains a file to be moved. I guess I need a %CurDir% abbreviation to use in conjuction with %SubDir%. I am probably overlooking something but for the life of me can't see what it is. Thanks... Ron

Lupo73

#1232 Post by Lupo73 »

Well, it is not possible in current version, I added it to the next release I'm developing. If you want to test it, you can find it here:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/dropi ... rtable.zip

For your purpose the string to add is "%DroppedDirName%\%SubDir%".. let me know..

StarMan

#1233 Post by StarMan »

Lupo73... the test release worked beautifully! When will the next release be available? Can't wait to see what other improvements you have made. Thanks for the help... Ron
Lupo73 wrote:Well, it is not possible in current version, I added it to the next release I'm developing. If you want to test it, you can find it here:

For your purpose the string to add is "%DroppedDirName%\%SubDir%".. let me know..

Lupo73

#1234 Post by Lupo73 »

The release is not planned, I'm very busy in these weeks, but this beta I linked you has only some fixes and some new abbreviations, so you can consider it stable.

KAD

#1235 Post by KAD »

Hi Folks,

I have just downloaded your software and I have to say it is very impressive - easy to use, fast and loads of options.

I have one question regarding the configuration that I can't work out.

Is there a way to set up the software so that it will perform 2 actions whenever a criteria is met? I have set it up to monitor a folder and I would like the software to rename and then move any files which are saved into this folder. I am able to set up an association for each of these tasks (both based on the contents of the file) but whenever I set them both in the same profile, the software says that there is a conflict and forces me to choose only one action to apply.

I would like the software to look at the contents of the file, rename it based on key words found, then move it to a specific folder (also based on the key words). I will then set up a rule for each of the key words that I am expecting to find so that all of my files are saved into the correct folders. Anything which doesn't meet the rules I have set up will be put in a different folder for me to manually file later.

Can you please let me know if this is possible and if so, how I go about it?

Thanks again for all your hard work in creating such a great tool.

Cheers, Keith.

KAD

#1236 Post by KAD »

Woops...

I just posted the same question twice cause I didn't realise it needed to be authorised before becoming visible, then I went and read the Wiki where you explain exactly how to do what I want! RTFM eh?!!?

I have now got your amazing software doing exactly what I want so you can just delete these entries in the forum. Sorry for wasting your time!

K.

Yocee

#1237 Post by Yocee »

Hi Guys!

Please ask me!

I need a task with my files:
i have files in folder, with same structure:
aaa.xml
aaa_p.pdf
aaa_c.pdf
aab.xml
aab_p.pdf
aab_c.pdf.pdf
etc...

The task is the next: In very small xml find a word, and the pdf-s move different folders.
like this:
in aaa.xml found "book" word, move the aaa_p.pdf to the book folder,
in aab.xml found "newspaper" word, move the aab_p.pdf to the newspaper folder.

This great software is addle to do this?

Thank you the ansver!

Lupo73

#1238 Post by Lupo73 »

It is not possible Yocee, because all rules work to filter the processed file and not to "do something to a file if another file matches the rules".

jordy1955

#1239 Post by jordy1955 »

Hey Lupo,

Your suggestion of applying a "Modified Date" Filter to prevent DropIt from moving a file before it is complete works great. Many thanks for the software and response to my problem.

cheers

Jordy

Lupo73

#1240 Post by Lupo73 »

Good. In the meanwhile I worked to the next version 6.2 and I'm considering to publish it. If you would like to test it, I replaced the option to "ignore files if size changes" with an option to "ignore files if in use", that may helps to better do what you need. This is the beta:

And this is the complete list of changes:
- improved Associations and Profiles windows (position is saved)
- improved filters by file content
- improved option to skip files if in use (e.g. during download)
- improved Progress window (position, size and columns are saved)
- improved Select Action window (associations are in alphabetical order)
- improved support to move files with Rename action (now you can do THIS)
- added "??" and "? ?" modifiers to alternate upper and lower characters
- added "a>(s1,d1)" and "a<(s1,d1)" modifiers to insert a string in a defined position
- added "lz(d1)" modifier to fill strings with leading zeros
- added some examples of rules for common file formats
- added some Paths and Images abbreviations
- removed option to "Show list of loaded files by default" (no longer needed)
- fixed some minor bugs

biber

#1241 Post by biber »

folders that I add in to monitor, through holding the CTRL button is working fine.
but sometimes, some of the folders that I need to exclude from monitoring, and here I go again, through long jungle (panels and buttons)to get there and to exclude some folders from monitoring.
PRESSING ALT - exclude the folder from monitoring - ?

biber

#1242 Post by biber »

Hi, Lupo73

in Association control
very awkward, to disable the checkbox.
i am have must, take aim on, in a small cube
click in a row - enable \ disable the checkbox ???

tproli

#1243 Post by tproli »

click in a row - enable \ disable the checkbox ???
IMO it would do more harm than good. Something like "ctrl+click" would be better instead.

biber

#1244 Post by biber »

Something like "ctrl+click" would be better instead.
this work, a long time ago!
so, folders are added to the monitoring like, almost two months.
thanks for that, for author - Lupo73!

there's no harm in managements associations . many rules in the profile. sometimes, I off some rules in some profiles.
I click in a small cube as a sniper. which is very annoying. wasting my time!

tproli

#1245 Post by tproli »

I was replying to the small checkbox issue. Simply clicking on a row would cause many users to accidentally enable/disable associations.
Because of this ctrl-click on a row would be better: an average user could not accidentally enable/disable rules and advanced users could do it easily.