DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
RainrooM

Re: DropIt

#826 Post by RainrooM »

I would like to monitor several different folders on the network where jpg files are stored. I would like to create a HTML list of all pictures taken (placed in that folder) of the current day. I want to have several different HTML lists however in function of the needs. If I follow your logic I have to create all different profiles then which makes it too heavy. Also all these profiles will come in the send to list which will grow either then. Unless there is an option to exclude certain profiles from the send to? I prefer not the create too many profiles.

I do understand your point to monitor a download folder as example where you have diff. rules (txt, jpg, ..) but in my case I would like to monitor several folders and today you have to link a complete profile to the monitored folder. I really do see a benefit to add one level where you can specify more in detail which rule within a profile you want to link to the folder especially for the reason I explained above.

Another alternative could be that you have 1 HTML list creation where you can have several monitored folders linked.
Today you have to specify 1 folder per line. (you can enable the subfolders checkbox in options) But this only works for a folder and it's own subfolders.
The problems starts when you have lets say:
I:\org\team1\damages\...
J:\dept\trucks\new goods\...

I cannot have 1 HTML list in this case containing all pictures from above folders and their subfolders, right ?

I personally like the way Second Copy works to define which folders/files to include/exclude for 1 rule set... (hxxp://www.secondcopy.com) example : http://localhostr.com/files/j5CqWeN/test.jpg
This way you can define on 1 line, all the folders/files you like to include/exclude, and then you can continue to link 1 profile to it.

LeonardB

#827 Post by LeonardB »

Please help.

I believe my need is simple but I'm struggling with using the right syntax to achieve this:

Using relative path I would like to move various types of files within any folder to their corresponding subfolders. For example if I had folders "test1" and "test2" both having .txt, pdf, and doc files, I would like to move them to "txt", "pdf", and "doc" subfolders within the same "test1" and test2" folders.

Can anyone please help me?

Thank you in advance.

tproli

#828 Post by tproli »

%ParentDir%\doc

works if you are not about to drag folders, otherwise DropIt will get into an infinite loop.

Lupo73

#829 Post by Lupo73 »

@RainrooM: I'll study it, to find a better solution for both uses..

@LeonardB: as tproli recommended you, try to use that destination but pay attention that association for folders is disabled..

LeonardB

#830 Post by LeonardB »

Thank you tproli, that did do the trick. I was hoping to setup Monitoring at the 1st level directory and the folders "test1" and "test2" would be monitored using the option "scan also subfolders". That did result in a infinite loop when it began moving files. I guess I will need to just periodically peak in the folders and use DropIt from there.

Lupo73

#831 Post by Lupo73 »

I planned to change the loading method in a next release, to improve performance and solve some issues (like infinite loops), loading all files at the beginning and then start to process them..

Currently I worked on the following planned features:
- Upload action is partially implemented now and if someone would like to help me with tests, I can send a PM with a link to the test version
- added manage duplicates also as profile option
- added several date and time special abbreviations (year, month, day, time) to improve support to sort documents and multimedia files in dated folders
- fixed %DateTaken% that now may works independently from the local time format

Known issues:
- Upload action still has some problems and needs tests (FTP works with files and not with folders, SFTP doesn't update progress bar for folders, file dates are loaded without timezone conversion and so "Overwrite if newer" doesn't correctly work)
- the GUI freezing bug of manage duplicates loaded with SendTo is very strange and probably can be fixed only completely changing the file loading method (described at the beginning)
- the /Refresh issue needs more tests to be fixed (I'm waiting to test DropIt with Rainmeter to verify it)

tproli

#832 Post by tproli »

Loading all files at the beginning of the process is a good move (earlier I thought that it was working like that). You mean creating a file list to be processed, right?

I have some ftp/sftp access so I can perform tests.

vmars316

#833 Post by vmars316 »

Greetings,
I would like DropIt to handle *.zip files as follows:
Create a NewFolder in the same Folder, and with the same name as the dropped *.zip file.
And I would like DropIt to Cut/Paste the dropped *.zip file,
into the Newly created Folder.
Pls, how can this be done?
Thanks...Vernon

tproli

#834 Post by tproli »

This is basically the same as "move MyArchive.zip file to a new directory named MyArchive", right?

Use these in the Edit Associations dialog:
- Name: [whatever]
- Rules: *.zip
- Action: Move
- Destination Folder: %ParentDir%\%FileName%

vmars316

#835 Post by vmars316 »

tproli wrote: Use these in the Edit Associations dialog:
- Name: [ZipFiles]
- Rules: *.zip
- Action: Move
- Destination Folder: %ParentDir%\%FileName%
Ah
Very Slick!

I took the SendTo option, and replaced "." with "_".
Like this: %ParentDir%\%FileName%_%FileExt%

Thank you very much!...vm

Midas

#836 Post by Midas »

Using the portable version, I've been trying to make DropIt work without any success. I already RTFM and am feeling really dumb ATM...

Question: What's the easiest way to monitor a particular folder and move archives and executables to another one?

Code: Select all

Options > Monitoring
Scan every = 360
Monitored Folder = %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
Associated Profile = Cleaner

Manage Associations ('Cleaner' selected in bottom drop-down control)
Rules = *.zip; *.rar; *.7z; *.exe
Action = Move
Destination Folder = \Store\!Incoming

[Associations]
*.zip; *.rar; *.7z; *.exe$0=\Store\!Incoming|Clean Desktop|>KB;>>;>>;>>|Enabled|
The above produces absolutely no effect. What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by Midas on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

tproli

#837 Post by tproli »

I think "\Store\!Incoming" is bad. Use a relative path ".\Store\!Incoming" or "..\Store\!Incoming", or use a special abbreviation (internal variables) like "%ParentDir%\Store\!Incoming".

Midas

#838 Post by Midas »

tproli wrote:I think "\Store\!Incoming" is bad. Use a relative path ".\Store\!Incoming" or "..\Store\!Incoming", or use a special abbreviation (internal variables) like "%ParentDir%\Store\!Incoming".
Thank you, trproli. I intended that path to be relative to the drive root, not the progdir, so this could be easily copied over to other pcs. Do you know if the target must exist beforehand? (It does in my test)

Also the "Special Abreviations", under "Paths" mention the variable %Desktop%, but in front put "C:\Users\{username}\Desktop" as the target -- in my XP Pro SP3 system, that path is in fact "C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Desktop"...

Overall, I'm left feeling the options are poorly documented... :(

tproli

#839 Post by tproli »

Target is created if it doesn't exists as I know.

Desktop path difference looks like a xp vs win7 issue. Perhaps it is hard-coded?

An idea to the devs: how about modifying the Special Abbreviations dialog to show the actual user directories? So if I'm logged in as tproli, the %Desktop% in the Paths tab would look like this, for example:

%Desktop% = c:\Documents and Settings\tproli\Asztal\

Midas

#840 Post by Midas »

tproli wrote:An idea to the devs: how about modifying the Special Abbreviations dialog to show the actual user directories?
Great idea. 8)

IMHO, the interface is somewhat confusing, with three different levels of configuration: 'options', 'profiles', and 'associations' -- one of those should be merged...

'Options' should contain only global program options; 'profiles' and 'associations' should share the same configuration dialog (and menu/shortcuts paths), with casual reminders of global options that may impact them. There should be a 'test' button, for one to be able to see what the outcome of a selected profile/associations would be (without actually performing the actions). Would this be too demanding?