DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Frost

Re: DropIt

#436 Post by Frost »

Preserving folders after moving... is that possible? I don't see how at the moment, anyway. Perhaps that is something that might be useful for more than myself.

I frequently find myself with folders that contain, for instance, one video file and a few other types (like subtitles) where I'd like to move the entire folder with all the contents. If I use DropIt, it moves the files and shuffles them to their own folders per the rules specified, which is not ideal in these cases - ideal would be to move the folder and keep the contents with the movie file, but sort the whole folder as a movie.

Similarly, it may be a folder containing a number of MP3 files (ie, a music album) and a few other files like perhaps a playlist or an image. There, it should be sorted as music but kept in the folder it was in. Or even better, have it work like that but be subfolder aware, ie if you have a folder named "Artist" and a subfolder named "Album title", dragging the Artist folder to DropIt could move the whole structure to whatever target existed for mp3 files.

If DropIt could be "context sensitive" somehow and preserve the folder structure and base the sorting choice on specific key file formats, it would be really great for me. It may be overkill or insanely complicated to implement, but I figured I'd mention the notion.

Ie, a rule that worked something like "If a folder has an .avi and other files, preserve the entire folder and sort as if it was just the .avi". If that makes sense.

grannyGeek

#437 Post by grannyGeek »

Options setting "Enable sorting for folders also" can come to the rescue.

You might have to take a bit of care in naming your folders.
You could name your folders something like my vacation Avi, birthday party Avi, faveTunes Mp3

Then set patterns for folders using the double asterisk.
**avi**
**mp3**
and assign the destinations.
That should sort your source folders as a single item to the defined destination.

Does this help?

Lupo73

#438 Post by Lupo73 »

Version 2.0 is now available!

Final changes:
- improved automatic update feature
- improved Move action performance
- improved Pattern Ambiguity window now named Select Action
- improved software interface
- added Extract and Delete actions
- added master password for Profiles folder encryption
- added several environment variables (read the Help)
- added support to disable alert for large processed files
- updated code to work with current 7 actions
- fixed minor bugs

;)

joby_toss

#439 Post by joby_toss »

Update for Romanian language:
http://www.mediafire.com/?36z328kqq8y222r

Lupo73

#440 Post by Lupo73 »

DropIt is growing, I think you like it ;)

Now I'm thinking about future features and I'd like to discuss them with you, to better design them.. these are some features currently in my mind:
1. multiple actions support (it is a good idea, but I don't know how to integrate it without fully modify current features)

2. action scheduling and folder monitoring (I'm considering to add an entire new section of features, organized in a new context menu item after Patterns, but I'd like to know from you how could be organized and what features may have.. you can report me also other software as good examples)

3. network/lan support as destination folders (I'm not an expert of these features, so I don't know how generally are designed software with these features.. I'd like also to know if exists a small open source tool with command line support that allows these features, something like 7-Zip but for network file transfer / shared folders)

4. web hosting support (it could be good to add also features to send dropped files to hosting websites like MediaFire or DropBox, but I don't know if it is possible or not.. someone know something more about it?)

5. renaming features (various users asked me to add features to rename moved/copied files.. it is a good idea, but I need to know a few more about major features you would like to have and eventually advices to implement them.. the idea is to offer most important features of this kind, given that I cannot make DropIt a renaming tool)

So many ideas for the future..with your help we will try to improve them.. ;)

Lupo73

#441 Post by Lupo73 »

Major features previously reported are still in planned list. In these weeks instead, we are working to release a restyling update with few new features, but important interface improvements. This is a screenshot of the new main UI:

And this is the current list of changes:
- improved message shown in case of duplicates
- improved software interface
- improved software performance
- added %DefaultProgram% environment variable (only for Open With)
- added %ParentDir% environment variable (relative to each file)
- added Destination column in Manage Patterns window
- added icons to GUI menu and Tray menu
- added resize support for Patterns and Profiles windows
- added some profile examples (Archiver, Eraser, Extractor)
- fixed progress bar during compression/extraction
- fixed minor bugs

Lupo73

#442 Post by Lupo73 »

While we are working on next version of DropIt, Clickx Magazine has included the last release 2.0 in its CD, wrote a description page in the magazine and included also a video tutorial! :D

We are happy to see that DropIt is becoming an interesting software for many users and we will try to improve it even more in next releases. Thanks to all developers, testers, collaborators and users!

Lupo73

#443 Post by Lupo73 »

Version 2.5 released! :wink:

Note: unfortunately Help file is not updated because grannyGeek doesn't reply in these weeks..

crownixx

#444 Post by crownixx »

Hi DropIt devs,

Just asking. Is there any particular reason for DropIt not having the ability converting the absolute path to relative path automatically for end user?

There is _PathGetRelative function that can do the job as what i have used it in my simple app PathGetRelative. I made a quick and simple code addition to the DropIt v2.5 source code as a demo how it can be done in case you guys are interested.

Start from line no 468, the last 4 lines are the addition.

Code: Select all

Case $mButton_Directory
	If $mCurrentType <> __Lang_Get('OPEN_WITH', 'Open With') Then
		$mFolder = FileSelectFolder(__Lang_Get('MANAGE_DESTINATION_FOLDER_SELECT', 'Select a destination folder:'), "", 3, "", $mGUI)
		If StringRight($mFolder, 1) = "\" Then
			$mFolder = StringTrimRight($mFolder, 1)
		EndIf

$From = @ScriptDir
		$To = $mFolder
		$Relative = _PathGetRelative($From, $To)
		$mFolder = $Relative
	Else
If it is acceptable, perhaps a checkbox saying "Convert to relative path if possible" or something similar should also come along with this feature.

Lupo73

#445 Post by Lupo73 »

Good idea! We excluded it as automatic feature, but we can add it as optional feature.. thanks!

guinness

#446 Post by guinness »

Yeh cheers crownixx. I think the WinAPI Version (PathRelativePathTo) is quicker than the UDF Function. :D So I would personally opt for this instead. Nice code by the way.

crownixx

#447 Post by crownixx »

The _PathGetRelative is in File.au3 and it seems DropIt already include it. It is much easier and less code lines perhaps if we are using _PathGetRelative instead of using the winapi. Besides, gaining the performance in that area is not give much impact to the end-user experience since it just convert the absolute path to relative path and display it to the GUI. And then later the relative path is save to the ini file anyway. That is just my 2cent.

Anyway, glad you all like the idea.

guinness

#448 Post by guinness »

You're right. Plus you know AutoIt so do you have any other ideas perhaps to add? As I want to learn something new since I read the AutoIt Forums everyday & this isn't enough :D

Lupo73

#449 Post by Lupo73 »

Good! I have added this feature.. and in particular it is available also for Open With action (in this way users of portable apps can add DropIt to their collection and use it as Coffee, to open files with defined portable software) :D

Code: Select all

Case $mButton_Directory
				If $mCurrentType <> __Lang_Get('OPEN_WITH', 'Open With') Then
					$mFolder = FileSelectFolder(__Lang_Get('MANAGE_DESTINATION_FOLDER_SELECT', 'Select a destination folder:'), "", 3, "", $mGUI)
					If StringRight($mFolder, 1) = "\" Then
						$mFolder = StringTrimRight($mFolder, 1)
					EndIf
				Else
					$mFolder = FileOpenDialog(__Lang_Get('MANAGE_DESTINATION_PROGRAM_SELECT', 'Select a destination program:'), @ScriptDir, __Lang_Get('MANAGE_EDIT_MSGBOX_10', 'Executable or Script') & " (*.bat;*.cmd;*.com;*.exe;*.pif)", 1, "", $mGUI)
					If @error Then
						$mFolder = ""
					EndIf
				EndIf
				If __Is("ConvertPath") Then
					Local $mRelative = _PathGetRelative(@ScriptDir, $mFolder)
					$mFolder = $mRelative
				EndIf
				If $mFolder <> "" Then
					GUICtrlSetData($mInput_Directory, $mFolder)
				EndIf

I am Baas

#450 Post by I am Baas »

freewaregenius review:
The verdict: this is the kind of awesome app that creates many possibilities and lets the user run with it. I give it my highest accolade and it should have been included in my recent post on notable Windows enhancements, but I only found it after the fact.
Congrats!