DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
riskywhat

Re: DropIt

#1351 Post by riskywhat »

Hi

Is there any way to stop a file / folder being copied more than once, even if it has been moved after being copied?

I would like DropIt to copy the file to my "unsorted" folder on a different hard drive, which I then edit to my preferred format and move into the desired folder. The problem is once the copy has been moved, DropIt will make a new copy of the file. Is there any way to stop this?

Any help is appreciated.

will1565

#1352 Post by will1565 »

Hello All

First thing this is wonderful piece of software so many thanks for putting it out for free. but I'm struggling with a feature. So after reading the guide and wiki I can cannot get Dropit to stop monitoring subfolders for some reason. The Wiki says "add the following association as the only one for folders:" I'm either being dense or this doesn't make any sense because surely if I have that as the only association dropit won't do anything.

Currently I have it working but I keep getting the confirm for large loaded files nag screen come so I know its still scanning subfolders. I know I can turn this off by the way but i'd rather have it working properly than fudge it by hiding a nag screen.

Many many thanks for any help

Will.

webfork

#1353 Post by webfork »

will1565 wrote:Many many thanks for any help
I don't happen to be a DropIt user but as you can probably see there are a few unanswered questions. I dropped a note to Lupo -- hopefully he'll get back to this.

will1565

#1354 Post by will1565 »

webfork wrote:
will1565 wrote:Many many thanks for any help
I don't happen to be a DropIt user but as you can probably see there are a few unanswered questions. I dropped a note to Lupo -- hopefully he'll get back to this.

Thanks Webfork, much appreciated :)

Lupo73

#1355 Post by Lupo73 »

Hi all, as you saw I do not have so much time to work on my projects any more, but I found a few time to do some improvements and fixes that now I released in version 8.2!

@RainrooM: print files is a hard feature to implement and in general it is not possible to support any file format, so anyway it could be only a action for few input file formats. I could consider it, but I'm not sure about it. A possible alternative is to find a command line tool that print files and connect it using "Open With" action.

@starstuff: currently it is not possible. Maybe in future I could consider to add a additional filter to do it.

@riskywhat: it is not possible, because it requires a complex solution with whitelists storing details about processed files. Anyway you could consider if it is possible to use additional filters in your cases (e.g. to process only files with Date creation < 1 day).

@will1565: you could try to check "Process folders and not scan them" in Options and verify if it does what you need.

Hitman

#1356 Post by Hitman »

Great work Lupo, thanks for the update!

However, I'm at a loss to do something really simple. I'm writing my thesis and want to create a backup in a .\backup\ folder with the current date and time added to the filename every 15 minutes. e.g.: c:\study\thesis.docx -> c:\study\backup\20160531 102123-thesis.docx

What I get: c:\study\backup\20160531 102123-thesis.docx\thesis.docx

What am I doing wrong here?

Smb

String modifiers not parsed in destination folder?

#1357 Post by Smb »

Hello all.
My goal: automatically group files in a folder, moving them on a folder created based on first 6 characters of the filename.

For example, folder NAMES contains:
MarioRossi1.txt
MarioBianchi20.txt
MarioRossi2.txt
JohnSmit.txt
JohnSmitDad.txt

My formula: monitor the E:\NAMES folder, for *.* every file MOVE the file to E:\NAMES\%FileName%>1,6

Theorically DropIt should create [folders] anche move files as this simulation:

[MarioR]
MarioRossi1.txt
MarioRossi2.txt

[MarioB]
MarioBianchi20.txt

[JohnSm]
JohnSmit.txt
JohnSmitDad.txt

What i obtain instead, for every file:
ERROR: folder E:\NAMES\%FileName%>1,6 not existant and can't create.

This means "%FileName" is not replaced with the filename, and sequentially ">1,6" dont extract first 6 characters from %FileName%.

I'm doing it wrong?

Thanks!

Lupo73

#1358 Post by Lupo73 »

Hi Hitman, it is because for Copy action you define a destination folder and not also the filename.
You could try with a 2-steps solution:
1. an association to create a copy in a temp folder
e.g.: c:\study\thesis.docx -> c:\study\backup\temp\20160531 102123\thesis.docx
2. an association to rename it in your desired destination
e.g.: c:\study\backup\temp\20160531 102123\thesis.docx -> c:\study\backup\20160531 102123-thesis.docx

Few more info here http://www.dropitproject.com/dokuwiki/d ... your_files

webfork

Re: String modifiers not parsed in destination folder?

#1359 Post by webfork »

Smb wrote:Theorically DropIt should create
Merging with DropIt thread ...

Hitman

#1360 Post by Hitman »

Lupo73 wrote:Hi Hitman, it is because for Copy action you define a destination folder and not also the filename.
You could try with a 2-steps solution:
1. an association to create a copy in a temp folder
e.g.: c:\study\thesis.docx -> c:\study\backup\temp\20160531 102123\thesis.docx
2. an association to rename it in your desired destination
e.g.: c:\study\backup\temp\20160531 102123\thesis.docx -> c:\study\backup\20160531 102123-thesis.docx

Few more info here http://www.dropitproject.com/dokuwiki/d ... your_files
Yes, that worked, thanks!

RainrooM

#1361 Post by RainrooM »

@RainrooM: print files is a hard feature to implement and in general it is not possible to support any file format, so anyway it could be only a action for few input file formats. I could consider it, but I'm not sure about it. A possible alternative is to find a command line tool that print files and connect it using "Open With" action.

To the community: Who can help me with the above. Looking for a setup where I can drop via Dropit PDF and DOC files and get them printed on a (shared) printer. We have many PDFs at the company and it would be nice if a print action can be initiated just be dropping. Any solution options are welcome. If possible a description of how the set must be done will be appreciated to help me with this. Thanks !

lintalist

#1362 Post by lintalist »

@RainrooM I'm not familiar with dropit but if I'm not mistaken Acrobat Reader has a command line option to print files directly (used to have anyway) - SumatraPDF has it for sure https://github.com/sumatrapdfreader/sum ... ng-options

So that takes care of PDFs

For Word this might work http://www.robvanderwoude.com/commandli ... s.php#Word

koen@minc.nl

Dropit V8.2 Send mail

#1363 Post by koen@minc.nl »

Hello,

Can the Send by Mail action run on the background?

Now I get a popup and I have to manually send the email.

Kind regards,

Koen

jordy1955

#1364 Post by jordy1955 »

Hey @Lupo, I'm having a little trouble moving TV episodes to a particular folder. The expression I'm using is "*.s*e*;* s*e*" This works for file names where there is a "." immediately before the s in s01e01 etc. However if there is no "." as in the second part of the expression, it is picking up words like 'select' and 'service' and treating them like a TV episode. I see that I can set up drop it to see the expression as a regex and thus be more specific, but I have no idea what the syntax would be to achieve this. Can you or anyone else assist pls

KJD

#1365 Post by KJD »

@jordy 1955

since this is a quick of the cuff reply you may want to want to see if others have a better answer
I havent used drop-it for a while but you could replace the second part ;* s*e*" with ;*s..e*"
where the dots force the s and e to be 2 characters apart eg s01e##
however that would also match s il e nce of the lambs

try the decimal \d modifier i think its something like ;*s\d\d e*"

good luck and let us know how you got on