DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
stanmarsh

Re: DropIt

#91 Post by stanmarsh »

hi lupo,

i have a request for dropit, i like to run multiple dropits; the idea is similar to creating shortcuts for folders/drives, but with enhanced dropit pattern filters.

example of usage:
- i have 3 folders in external drive x:\ - "docs", "archive" and "tmp", each has a folder "txt"
- i created 3 dropits for "docs", "archive" and "tmp", and created a *.* pattern for the 3 three folders and *.txt pattern for folder "txt"
- i just have to drag+drop any files (depending on their use) in doc, archive or tmp dropits, but *.txt files will be moved in the "txt" folder immediately.

i think this would make managing files a lot easier.

cheers

thanks
Last edited by stanmarsh on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lupo73

#92 Post by Lupo73 »

I could try to do something, but I don't exactly understand what is the feature request, sorry :roll: ..you would like the support for multiple instances? or also other improvements?

stanmarsh

#93 Post by stanmarsh »

hi lupo,

sorry, i was a little vague earlier, :oops: yes, i just like support for multiple instance of dropit. :) so i can move files per category

i made a simple mock-up based on my post earlier in "example of usage"

cheers

Lupo73

#94 Post by Lupo73 »

It's a little complex what you are asking to develop.. actually I'm not able to do something like this and I also don't know if is a good idea, because it's completely different to the actual DropIt (I like the unique target image interface that manage all files by patterns).
The "background" idea is good, now I'm considering if there are other ways to make DropIt more flexible (the support of several profiles is already a good improvement). Hotkeys support could be good, eventually allowing to switch between profiles "on the go" (eg. Alt+1 Alt+2 Alt+3... and a tooltip that report the profile name activated).

guinness

#95 Post by guinness »

It's possible...but a little overcomplicated. I will write in pseudo code.

1. Enabled TrayIcon to work so when double or single clicked on shows small Toast Window.
2. Implement the Tray Toast in the script with 5* labels that support Dragging and Dropping. This is shown in the example image above.
3. And then you implement your DropIt code...

*An example, could be more or less.

stanmarsh

#96 Post by stanmarsh »

hi again lupo,

my request is support for multiple instance of drop-it.

the mock-up is only an example, just to express what i had in my mind.

i didn't mean to make things complicated. :oops:

cheers

Lupo73

#97 Post by Lupo73 »

No embarrassment, we are a group of development :roll: ...the problem is that I use the main ini to save the profile to use, so using multiple instances of DropIt could present some problems with profile managing. I could make the profile a global variable of the program, saved only at the software closing, but in this case will be saved the profile of the last instance closed. Any other idea?

donald

#98 Post by donald »

Lupo73

**Edit*** I guess your last post was about this possibility.
You could use a separate ini file and make it a menu option to edit it
***End Edit***
You could consider implementing a trick some other applications use (I can not name an example but they were listed here).

Those applications allow for changing the name of the application, and the ini file so that multiple instances can run at the same time.

Since the applications looked to the ini file with the same name all settings were independent and could all be different.

I do not know if this is something you could implement, but it has been done with some other applications.

Thanks for all your apps.

stanmarsh

#99 Post by stanmarsh »

donald is up to something that could work. :idea:

i tried renaming another dropit.exe to dropit2.exe and it works without problem. i have two instances running dropit.exe and dropit2.exe side-by-side. the downside is i have two folders of dropits (dropit, dropit2).

i tried consolidating the two by moving the dropit2.exe to the dropit folder, it still works but it uses the profile of the dropit.exe. would it be possible to have different settings if you have more that one *.exe in the folder?

if you have only one *.exe in the folder, settings.ini would use [General]
if you have > one *.exe in the folder, settings.ini would create [Name of Exe] per exe

example settings.ini

[Dropit]
Profile=Default
PosX=737
PosY=298
LockPos=False
OnTop=True
SizeX=64
SizeY=64
NoAsk=False
Duplicates=Overwrite
Mode=Move
AskMode=False
AskForFolders=False

[Dropit2]
Profile=Default2
PosX=737
PosY=298
LockPos=False
OnTop=True
SizeX=64
SizeY=64
NoAsk=False
Duplicates=Overwrite
Mode=Move
AskMode=False
AskForFolders=False

i also tried running multiple dropits at least 10, it still works :D , i like to request a way to customize an icon or a pop up of a name of the exe, to distinguish one dropit with another.

cheers

Lupo73

#100 Post by Lupo73 »

I'm already working on it.. I have redesigned the Customize Profiles window, to allow users to use a different image target for each profile. The idea is to remove the limit of one instance (that I have added because actually doesn't work fine), but I have some problems to resolve.. for example, allowing a different image per profile, I can't find an autoit function that find image size to resize the target window (and so now the user may do it manually). I'm trying also to migrate from gif to png images for target, but I have problems also with it (I wrote on autoit forum to ask help).

ps: if someone want help me with coding, I can send you my new code.

Onesimus Prime

#101 Post by Onesimus Prime »

Wraithdu writes in AutoIt, and I'm pretty sure his EraserDrop Portable uses automatically resizing PNG images for the drop target. You might check out how he does it?

Lupo73

#102 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks for the advice, I'll check that code and try to integrate it if possible.

I have worked on DropIt in these days, rewriting part of its code and improving some of its features.
If you want to help me with tests, I have uploaded a beta version HERE.
(it is an unofficial release and could be present some bugs, even if I tested it, so don't update it in PFC database)

This is the changelog:
- improved feature to customize profiles
- added support to different target images for each profile
- added support to multiple instances
- several code improvements
- fixed some minor bugs

guinness

#103 Post by guinness »

No problems so far, "- added support to different target images for each profile" is a great little feature.

I think though there is a better way of having multiple profiles without have multiple instances of the application! :)

stanmarsh

#104 Post by stanmarsh »

great work lupo! :D i like the new profile system. its much more versatile! i have no problem at all in the beta version.

Lupo73

#105 Post by Lupo73 »

I have published the new release 0.9 today (the software is available from the list of files, even if at the moment sourceforge doesn't allow me to update it in software homepage). I recommend to use this new release, that has some additional improvements since the previous beta. And write me your opinions, as usual. :wink: