ArcThemALL!

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
guinness

Re: ArcThemALL!

#106 Post by guinness »

I'm glad you sorted it! Was a little confused to what the problem was for a second.

Lupo73

#107 Post by Lupo73 »

Ok, I found the problem and I'll fix it in final release: this new version includes a function to import settings from previous versions, but it has compatibility problems with old versions (it will work fine only since this release itself).
So the disadvantage is that at first start you will need to re-customize your options even if you will try to copy an old config.ini file in its folder, but the big advantage is a wider range of options and the support to automatically import all these settings in future releases.

Except this issue, do you like improvements we have made?

Some examples:
- now it remembers one configuration for compression and one for extraction (so you can save your preferences for both modes)
- general software performance improved (it uses less RAM, compression procedures are correctly interrupted clicking Stop button, UPX compression is faster because all unsupported formats are skipped)
- more settings are available (for each compression format can be configured related options)
- the window can be resized and new size is saved

joby_toss

#108 Post by joby_toss »

Of course I love it! And everyone should!
My main tool for such tasks!

One question though: could those 5 seconds become like...10 ?
I barely got to read the warning the first time...didn't have time to hit Cancel. :)

guinness

#109 Post by guinness »

One question though: could those 5 seconds become like...10 ?
I barely got to read the warning the first time...didn't have time to hit Cancel
It could be made into an INI Setting...and the resizing was my implementation :D

Lupo73

#110 Post by Lupo73 »

Before you asked me to extend to 10 seconds, I already decided to modify the code and I made it yesterday :D

SeXi

#111 Post by SeXi »

Hi,
For me the version 3.5 beta is not compressing exe files (upx or mpress). It runs but don't compress, size remains the same. In the 3.2prebeta it was working, size is smaller. I test it on same file. Before first run i deleted the cfg file so after start all is on its defaults. Anyone with the same problem or solution for it?

Lupo73

#112 Post by Lupo73 »

You are right! A major issue due to a very minor bug: in a checking function we forgot a dot "." :mrgreen:

I have reupdated the beta with these fixes:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/ata/A ... rtable.zip
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/ata/A ... Source.zip

Changes:
- import settings fixed
- shutdown changed to 10 seconds
- upx/mpress compression fixed

JohnTHaller

#113 Post by JohnTHaller »

As MPRESS is a non-operating system closed source component, you'll either need to host it somewhere other than SourceForge or remove MPRESS. SourceForge is for open source software only. Including MPRESS makes this app a freeware app (overall license due to MPRESS) with open source components.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

#114 Post by guinness »

MPRESS isn't located on SourceForge, its downloaded from another source.

JohnTHaller

#115 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:MPRESS isn't located on SourceForge, its downloaded from another source.
Ah quite right. I'd missed that. In that case, hosting on SF is fine. Sorry for the confusion. It still stands that if you select MPRESS, the package isn't open source anymore, though.
Last edited by JohnTHaller on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

#116 Post by guinness »

Ah quite right. I'd missed that. In that case, hosting on SF is fine. It still stands that if you select MPRESS, the package isn't open source anymore, though.
No, that I can understand and its a fair point. Licensing isn't one of my strong subjects so of course you have a greater understanding than I do :D

Lupo73

#117 Post by Lupo73 »

I think it can be considered Open Source GPL and not Freeware with Open Source components, because the distributed package is fully open source and under GPL.. the only closed source component is external and separately downloaded if the user desire it.. is not correct?

JohnTHaller

#118 Post by JohnTHaller »

Lupo73 wrote:I think it can be considered Open Source GPL and not Freeware with Open Source components, because the distributed package is fully open source and under GPL.. the only closed source component is external and separately downloaded if the user desire it.. is not correct?
As it's one of the main advertised options of the program (prominently featured in the description and a quick click of a dropdown on the main screen), I'd say no. The main uTorrent Portable download only contains GPLed components (GPLed launcher and installer) but it's certainly not an open source app. There are other apps that contain components of both of varying percentages, but on PortableApps.com if there is any non-open source component that's part of the app proper and automatically installed by the installer or app itself, it's listed as "Freeware" even if most of it is open source.

If classifying your app as "open source" in a license field is important to you, it should be fully open source. Especially since a not insignificant percentage of people who are going to be concerned with looking at that field and seeing 'open source' are people who want to only run open source stuff. If promoting a distinguishing/differentiating characteristic of your app as using a closed source component (MPRESS) that is automatically installed by the app itself (not the user manually going and downloading an optional add-on) and is shown/promoted in the interface by default, then it's freeware with open source components. To have it both ways is a bit disingenuous.

Additionally, as using MPRESS itself on an open source EXE, DLL, etc then makes the EXE, DLL no longer open source (and non-redistributable if it is GPLed or LGPLed), I think the freeware label is even more appropriate.

Lupo73

#119 Post by Lupo73 »

The situation is a bit different from uTorrent Portable, that is a launcher package that download a freeware app during installation and without that app it doesn't work at all.
I think at the moment we can classify ArcThemALL! as Open Source with freeware components and in next release I'll create a plugin system to support external freeware apps like MPRESS (and eventually others), to keep the official package fully open source but at the same time to allow users to extend it with other compressors.
This could be a good solution, I think.. thanks for the report John and sorry for my error..

JohnTHaller

#120 Post by JohnTHaller »

Lupo73 wrote:The situation is a bit different from uTorrent Portable, that is a launcher package that download a freeware app during installation and without that app it doesn't work at all.
I think at the moment we can classify ArcThemALL! as Open Source with freeware components and in next release I'll create a plugin system to support external freeware apps like MPRESS (and eventually others), to keep the official package fully open source but at the same time to allow users to extend it with other compressors.
This could be a good solution, I think.. thanks for the report John and sorry for my error..
If there are freeware components of an app proper, then it is freeware with open source components. Open source means open source... as in fully open source. If in the main description of the app you're mentioning capabilities of a closed source component, then the app itself should be considered freeware. But you're promoting the fact that MPRESS is a feature when MPRESS is a closed source component with licensing issues around redistribution of EXEs and DLLs compressed with it.

In order to be open source, the description of the app proper shouldn't have anything to do with MPRESS, realistically. Perhaps a single line separated from the main description saying it can be added. And a warning when adding MPRESS within the app itself detailing that MPRESS is closed source and GPL and LGPL licensed binaries compressed with MPRESS may not be redistributed.

Like I said, having it both ways is disingenuous. Either it's an open source app and you promote its open source features and functionality and then, perhaps, mention that you can add some optional closed source bits. Or it's a freeware app with mostly open source components and you promote the closed and open source features and functionality. One or the other seems more honest.