ArcThemALL!

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
joby_toss

Re: ArcThemALL!

#76 Post by joby_toss »

joby_toss, May 31, 2010 wrote:It appears when I invoke ArcThemAll via SendTo after 2 or more files are selected. Doesn't happen on single files! Also, drag and drop works for multiple files.

Still there; different line of code though!

Lupo73

#77 Post by Lupo73 »

Yes :mrgreen: ..I'm still working on this issue (that afflicts also DropIt). This new release is a minor update, I'm working on the new version 3.0 in these days. This is a screenshot of it:

loin2kolpotoru

#78 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

I have made 2 more changes that is now compression
can be changed to brute from the options menu and
now ArcThemALL! will give the option to cancel the
shutdown before shutdown.
link -
http://sharesend.com/6fm9i

my changes are in the old version because i have just
downloded the new version today.

I have one more Suggestion -
I have found that some files can't be compressed by
upx or mpress. Exampels of such 2 files are -

MpcStar 3.3 -
http://www.mpcstar.com/?lang=

Avidemux 2.5.3 -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/avidemux/files/

But they can be compressed by WinUpackE or mew11
please include one of them in ArcThemALL!.

Lupo73

#79 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks for it, I'll check your changes. If you want to work on the last release of ArcThemALL!, you can download last beta source code from here:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/ArcTh ... Source.zip

I have rewrote part of the source code, so I need help to test it. Actually it may be more flexible to add support for other compression formats. Instead I don't have fixed the SendTo issue yet.

I'm not sure to add support to Brute compression, I think it's better the normal compression (with max compression ratio) because is less dangerous to file corruption.. what are your opinions?

Lupo73

#80 Post by Lupo73 »

I have decided to redesign also the Options window, also given that in future I'll implement other features and eventually the support to Upack and/or mew11. So I have updated the source code (to the same download link) and this is a screenshot of it:

Opinions are welcome! :wink:

guinness

#81 Post by guinness »

So you are not intending in stopping the development of ArcThemALL!?

Lupo73

#82 Post by Lupo73 »

Do you think I may stop it?

guinness

#83 Post by guinness »

It was just an impression I got, because your updating the Source Code and making it alittle easier to configure. But I take it your not.

Lupo73

#84 Post by Lupo73 »

I'm linking here the new source code to allow you to help me with tests and improvements. :mrgreen:

I have made some more changes to the Options section, updated 7zip (v9.15 beta) and added support to configure compression method and level. Source code is at the previous download link and this is a screenshot of the new features:

guinness

#85 Post by guinness »

I will get round to looking at the Source for both ArcThemALL! and The File Manager in the following weeks.

Lupo73

#86 Post by Lupo73 »

Good :wink: I'm working on it in these days, so I'd like to know what are your feature requests.

About Upack and mew11 I'm considering it, but I'm not sure (I don't want to make it too complex and big).

I'm considering also to add other compression formats supported by 7zip executable (XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR and WIM are formats I could add). Do you think I may add some of them?

Lupo73

#87 Post by Lupo73 »

I have fixed the SendTo problem, now it may receive several files without problems.. and I have updated the source code.. now remain the same minor issue of DropIt, relative to context menu..

joby_toss

#88 Post by joby_toss »

Lupo73 wrote:I have fixed the SendTo problem, now it may receive several files without problems.. and I have updated the source code.. now remain the same minor issue of DropIt, relative to context menu..
Version 3 works OK for me. Thank you!

webfork

#89 Post by webfork »

This program need some type of help / intro file that explains what this program does.

Questions:
  1. What does it mean to compress a whole folder? I have an idea about this but I don't think the average user does.
  2. When you decompress a folder, what happens? Again, I think I know but average user?
  3. What is UPX vs. 7z vs. mpress, vs zip. I don't know what mpress is.
  4. Whats the difference between the UPX modes in the options menu?
  5. What do all the "UPX Options" under the options menu do?
  6. Check duplicates? What happens when you check this? Does it remove them?
Alternately, if this is an "advanced" program that casual users should avoid, I'd recommend we put some kind of note on the official entry.

Lupo73

#90 Post by Lupo73 »

We could think to do a guide also of it :roll: ..anyway the software can be used also by casual users without problems. Eventually only for the mpress compression I could add an alert that explain it is a lossy compression, that doesn't allow to recover original files (I could make an update that automatically backups files compressed with it).