Help with making Wings3D Portable

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
Gannon8

Help with making Wings3D Portable

#1 Post by Gannon8 »

Hello all. Quick link: http://www.wings3d.com

I wanted to make Wings3D portable so that I could do some modeling from my thumbdrive. (Yes I have tried blender and no it doesn't work for me.)

Here is what I did: (lol, lists dont work)
[*]Downloaded a fresh copy of JPE 30Alpha from the unofficial website in that one thread.
[*]From a library computer that didn't have Wings3D installed, I ran the installer with JPE. (Without the "required runtime" option)
[*]Being rushed, I removed my flash drive and took it to my computer at home before teg it out. This might be the problem.
[*]When I tried to run it, it says: Cannot find erlexec.exe

I followed the tutorials. Any suggestions?

crownixx

Re: Help with making Wings3D Portable

#2 Post by crownixx »

Gannon8 wrote:[*]When I tried to run it, it says: Cannot find erlexec.exe
Is the error come from JauntPE or from the application itself? Check if the erlexec.exe exists in the sandbox folder
Gannon8 wrote:Any suggestions?
Create the portable package again. Use JPE Quickie and select _Normal3.ini this time. I suspect it store the path of erlexec.exe in the registry. Remember that the location of the installed application is important. Install it in Program Files. If you found trouble, try the alternative method as already discussed in here

EDIT: I found out that when we redirect the installer using JPE Quickie, there are some files are missing in the Sandbox folder for example erl.ini. Try install the app locally then use WinMerge to compare the application directory between the local and the Sandbox. In this case compare "C:\Program Files\wings3d_1.0.1" and "JPE\ProgramFiles\wings3d_1.0.1".
So the best strategy to create the portable package is to use JPE Setup Capture

Gannon8

#3 Post by Gannon8 »

I installed it to a Sandboxie folder. It writes some stuff to the System folder.
I think the error comes from Wings3D itself.

What is the difference between each of the configurations anyway?

crownixx

#4 Post by crownixx »

Gannon8 wrote:I installed it to a Sandboxie folder. It writes some stuff to the System folder.
Yes, that stuff probably from Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable since it pack together with Wings3D installer
Gannon8 wrote:What is the difference between each of the configurations anyway?
The jauntePE configuration ini used for the portable package will be the same. No difference. The only difference is the way JPE Setup Capture copy the necessary files into the portable package. See my first post in JPE Setup Capture.

I have tried portablizing this app. What i was found that Wings3D portable fails to run if there is no local Wings3D. More specifically, if i rename the folder lib (C:\Program Files\wings3d_1.0.1\lib) into other name eg "libss", the Wings3D portable will fails to run. Then, i put Program Files folder and Application Data folder into FilesystemIgnore list. This should tell JauntePE to hide both folder from be "seen" by Wings3D portable. But, the result were still the same as above. I have no clue why the reason for this dependency. I did optimize the configuration ini by only redirecting the necessary special folder, registry keys and module but still no luck.

In my last effort, i generate the log file and take a look at it but there is not much that i could get from the log file. It is quite a complex app when it comes with Microsoft's redistributable dlls and OpenGL engine stuff. I'm sorry this app is beyond my capability