Portable Palm Desktop version 4.1.4

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
Stone Tablet

Portable Palm Desktop version 4.1.4

#1 Post by Stone Tablet »

I am trying to make a portable version of Palm Desktop 4.1.4 without the Sync function.

The software is found here:

http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/m-s ... 14_en.html

I used JauntePE Setup Capture to build and am getting this error from JauntPE when I run it:

---------------------------
Palm.exe Unhandled Error
An unhandled error has occurred which may cause this application to exit.
The jauntePE runtime dll has trapped this error in case it was the cause.

The error's exception occurred from within the ExtBase.dll module.
The last jauntePE hooked api function calling module was shdocvw.dll.
The last jauntePE hooked api function was RegCloseKey.

To help diagnose the cause of this error and improve JauntePE, please pass this
information on to the JauntePE development team, along with a detailed
description of what you were doing when the error occurred.

Any information you have concerning Palm.exe and the shdocvw.dll
calling module would be helpful as well.

You can use Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard so that it can be
easily pasted into an email or other post.

0xC0000005: error exception code
0x67DC2A85: error exception address
0x67DC0000: error exception base address
0x00002A85: error exception offset address
0x4A51DE25: last jauntePE hooked api function entry point
0x4A501000: jauntePE entry point

OK
END OF ERROR MESSAGE

How do I interpret this and what should my next step be? Any ideas?

crownixx

Re: Portable Palm Desktop version 4.1.4

#2 Post by crownixx »

I'm assuming JPE Setup Capture manage to build the portable package but you got error when trying to launch Palm.exe. Am i right?

The error message is meant for redllar and I have no knowledge to interpret the error. I have experience this once when redllar is still available at that time. Normally, he also need us to pass the Debug Logging file together with the error message.

What you can do for now is
  1. Get the Debug Logging file. You can use JPE Config Modifier to turn on the setting, then run the Palm.exe until you get the error message. The file will be created after that
  2. Zip and upload the file at Mediafire.com or any similar site and put a hope that redllar is still available and he would like to have this type of feedback to improve the jauntepe version into beta next time
While sitting around hoping, you can try this
  1. Google the module shdocvw.dll and ExtBase.dll to get some basic idea what they do.
  2. Know your Palm Desktop as much as you can. What and where the registry and file system is created and used by Palm Desktop. Use any methods you know: Sandboxie, RegFromApp, ProcessActivityView, Regshot, JPE Snapshot, turn on Discovery setting, etc...
  3. When done, reduce the redirection as much as possible. It means redirect only registry and file system used by Palm Desktop. See JauntePE readme > The Examples > Notepad Example > Fastest Example
  4. Try add shdocvw.dll and/or ExtBase.dll in [ModuleExclude]. Run and see if the error message occur again. But note that this method cannot be use if those modules that create the registry and file system modification.
  5. Try this tips: Turn off file system redirection and run the program. If the error disappear, then probably the error is caused by file system redirection. Turn off registry redirection and if the error disappear, then probably the error is caused by registry redirection. You can then have more focus on that part to optimize the configuration ini. You might want to do this in the virtual machine so as not to clog with your current system.
Hopefully you can get the right configuration ini for Palm Desktop. Keep experimenting with different configuration. I was using the same steps as above for my Picasa 3 and guess what, it took me more than 3 month to get the right configuration.