Some JauntePE conundrums...

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
pipetman

Some JauntePE conundrums...

#1 Post by pipetman »

Lately, I started using JPE0.3final to build some portable apps following the quickie procedure outlined in the video tutorials.

The first app worked without problems.

The second one seemed to have worked as well. But when the application is started, I don't see the three JPE icons (indicating registry and file system portabilization) in the upper right cormer of the window, yet, the app seems to run portably. Should I ignore the missing icons or are they indicative of a problem, I haven't realized yet?

The third application posses the biggest challenge so far. When running the installer in portable mode, I get the following error message:
An error occured while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:
MoveFile failed; code 2
The system cannot find the file specified
I can then either abort, retry or ignore and in either case I don't end up with a working portable app (this was NeatImage 6.0 btw). Installing the app and then trying to run the JPEquickie routine with the "app already installed" option doesn't seem to work either.

Any words of wisdom that anyone could share would be greatly appreciated.

crownixx

#2 Post by crownixx »

The first problem is regarding with "Identification" plugin. There are some applications does not work well with the plugin and redllar has provide 3 mode of Identification, each of them work differently. The detail is in readme.html > The Runtime Ini > Identification. Test each of the mode one by one to see if it works. JPE Config Modifier could help you in configuring the Identification settings. If all three modes does not work well with you app, turn it off & dont use it :)

I can't reproduce the error for the second problem. The NeatSetup.exe seem to run very well in portable mode. I also did install it locally and then run the installer with JPE Quickie but still no error was found. Though, i found that the uninstaller of Neat Image does not do the cleaning very well. The HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ABSoft\NeatImage and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ABSoft\NeatImage registry keys are still left behind.
What you can do is try in other clean pc but now using _Normal3.ini configuration. If there is no success, i recommend to try JPE Setup Capture and read recommendation there

pipetman

#3 Post by pipetman »

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll the give the various identifier modes a try. With regards to NeatImage, I tried the install in a clean VM as well as on my regular PC, going through pretty much all the available configurations (including normal3) and always came up with the same error. But I'll try to figure out the setup capture thing. Thanks again! - p

crownixx

#4 Post by crownixx »

pipetman wrote:With regards to NeatImage, I tried the install in a clean VM as well as on my regular PC, going through pretty much all the available configurations (including normal3) and always came up with the same error.
Sorry I don't have any clue with the matter. Maybe you could do the 12-Step Program with addition Logging settings in the configuration to get the log file. Hopefully redllar would come back & take a look at your problem.

pipetman

#5 Post by pipetman »

I figured out the SetupCapture routine (not much to figure out, really) and after a few tries got it to work that way. Thx - p.

crownixx

#6 Post by crownixx »

You're welcome. Glad that JPE Setup Capture works for you