JPE Setup Capture

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
crownixx

JPE Setup Capture

#1 Post by crownixx »

JPE Setup Capture is another unofficial tool create a package of portable application which is similar task to JPE Quickie. The difference between JPE Setup Capture & JPE Quickie are
  • In JPE Quickie, all the application's files and necessary registry keys are captured during the installation by redirecting the installer.
  • In JPE Setup Capture, it attempt to get all the application's files and necessary registry keys after the installation by analyzing the system changes with the help of Regshot. The strategy used is similar to other commercial application virtualization such as Thinapp or Xenocode
JPE Setup Capture is built to handle "can't run installer" situations. It should overcome the following limitations:
  • A msi type installer. JauntePE can't redirect msi installer due to it's current shortcomings
  • Installer that require reboot to complete the installation. JPE Quickie can't handle this type of installer
  • Installer that require internet connection to stream other required files. The installation process will be very slow if we redirect this type of installer.
Get it here
https://sites.google.com/site/jauntepe/ ... up-capture
Last edited by crownixx on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:39 am, edited 6 times in total.

crownixx

#2 Post by crownixx »

With that i'm requesting the similar feature to be implement in JPE SnapShot if possible. I also want to tell you guys that i will not around for a while to focus on my study.Will be back soon. So gudluck all of you with JauntePE

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

Thank you and Good luck!

crownixx

#4 Post by crownixx »

Update to version 0.2 with several fixes and new GUI to simplify the working procedure.

Now i start working to integrate it into PStart JPE

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

Version 0.2 may trigger a false positive report from some anti-viruses (unlike v0.1) !
example: http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/d710 ... 1245586132

crownixx

#6 Post by crownixx »

Thanks joby_toss for the report.

Definitely it was false positive report. In version 0.2, what JPE Setup Capture.exe will do is run the RegShot.exe and hide it's window in the background. Then, if the 1st Shot button in the JPE Setup Capture GUI is clicked, another mouse click command is send to the RegShot 1st Shot button in the background. Probably that maybe the reason JPE Setup Capture.exe was flag as a virus

The program is safe you can take a look at the source code in Others folder. Hope the explaination is clear to all.

Napiophelios

#7 Post by Napiophelios »

Man you have out done yourself.
Setup Capture works very smoothly.

Why wont it capture programs that install to C drive?

crownixx

#8 Post by crownixx »

Napiophelios wrote:Man you have out done yourself.
Setup Capture works very smoothly.

Why wont it capture programs that install to C drive?
Thank you..

Two reason for the question
  • Because the C drive is not a special folder. JauntePE only support isolation on 62 special folders as listed in the JauntePE.html readme. You can isolate drive C but need to specify in the configuration manually.
  • JauntePE do not have non-special folder path tokens support in the Registry. Example in a situation where application register a dll let say C:\7-zip\7-zip.dll, the exact path will be registered in the portable registry. If not tokenize, the path can't be treated portably and if you switch to another pc that without drive C, the program will break
See registry editor screenshot in this post to see the tokenize path and it can be carry portably in diferent pc without breaking the program

ziFFir

Re: JPE Setup Capture v0.2

#9 Post by ziFFir »

How to remove red box around the windows in portable programs?

Napiophelios

#10 Post by Napiophelios »

ziFFir wrote:How to remove red box around the windows in portable programs?
edit the jauntePE.ini file:

(1=enabled)
(0=disabled)

[Redirection]
UseIcon=0
ModFrame=0 <-----this is the one you want to change
FlashDisco=0
IconDisco=0
InnerColor=16776960 <-----these is the frame colors
OuterColor=16744448 <-----these is the frame colors

ziFFir

#11 Post by ziFFir »

Thanks. This program will develop further?

crownixx

#12 Post by crownixx »

Napiophelios wrote:edit the jauntePE.ini file:

(1=enabled)
(0=disabled)

[Redirection]
UseIcon=0
ModFrame=0 <-----this is the one you want to change
FlashDisco=0
IconDisco=0
InnerColor=16776960 <-----these is the frame colors
OuterColor=16744448 <-----these is the frame colors
You can also modify the settings above using the GUI available in JPE Config Modifier. Simply browse your application configuration file and then go to Identification tab. Dont forget to save the changes.
ziFFir wrote:Thanks. This program will develop further?
Normally i will look into the program again if only i got a bug report from a user. Currently it is working fine for me.

But maybe if i have free time, i try to develop another GUI to simplify the Tutorial 2

crownixx

Re: JPE Setup Capture v0.4

#13 Post by crownixx »

I just release version 0.4 that will fix the workaround(Tutorial 2) in version 0.2. A new cool feature added is it will automatically run on startup and reload the previous snapshot if your system is restarting due to installation process. Other feature is the "Clear" button to remove previous snapshot

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss »

The download link does not work for me.

crownixx

#15 Post by crownixx »

Sorry.. new download link updated in first post. Thanks for the report