JauntePE 0.3.0 Alpha Nightly Build 14

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
crownixx

JauntePE 0.3.0 Alpha Nightly Build 14

#1 Post by crownixx »

Good news

It has been 3 days redllar release the new version with new licence. I has just open my mail today but currious why others who also got this package does not make the post yet

From his last email title at 4 November 2008
redllar wrote:JauntePE 0.3.0 Alpha Nightly Build 14 - publically distributable if you want to
Further, he add in read1st.txt
redllar wrote:The license has been changed for this build to allow the package to be redistributed in its entirety, as you see fit and for free, as long as it's not for resale.
redllar wrote:I won't be posting links to the package myself, but feel free to do so as you wish.
The licence for latest JauntePE
JauntePE 0.3.0 Alpha is further restricted from redistribution except as a complete and unaltered copy of its original zip archive distribution package.
I dont want to look redllar's hard work just a waste and only used by few people. For that reason, i posted the download link so that other people around the world could appreciate this masterpiece. Say thanks to redllar

Download
http://www.box.net/shared/4cx4i2k00r

And this line might give some interesting point
The one exception to this restriction is for use in application-specific standalone portablization packages. For such packages, there may be one copy of one of the JauntePE runtime distribution dlls (not the def or log dlls), along with one copy of the JPEPortable.exe file for each portablized application.
From my understanding, redllar has give permission to distribute the jauntePE launcher for specific application. So Andrew, i think it is possible now to post the specific jauntePE launcher at TPFC website, for example specific jauntePE launcher for Foxit Reader, the number 1 popular application at TPFC.

Bad news

Sadly, redllar wont be around anymore assisting us with the application. So use this forum as much as possible. Active participation and show our enthusiam with JauntePE the forum might make redllar continue with the project again

nycjv321

#2 Post by nycjv321 »

good news: cool :D
bad news: :/
will try it out later

GeddichNixan

#3 Post by GeddichNixan »

@crownixx
Thank you very much for posting this info. It was very regrettable as redllar left this forum therefore I am very glad JauntePE is back here even if without redllar's assistance.

I would say this forum is still the right place for sharing one's experiences with JauntePE, so why not built up a knowledge base by posting in this thread?

@redllar
If you see this: THANK YOU FOR STILL WORKING ON JauntePE and still publishing new builds.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

From my understanding, redllar has give permission to distribute the jauntePE launcher for specific application. So Andrew, i think it is possible now to post the specific jauntePE launcher at TPFC website, for example specific jauntePE launcher for Foxit Reader, the number 1 popular application at TPFC.
That's really cool! For a start, I have created a new forum for sharing ready-made JPE wrappers.

I will also share a few wrappers that I have been using on a daily basis. I was thinking once a shared wrapper gets enough usage and has all the kinks ironed out, then we can promote it to the main index and get it to replace the existing NSIS/AutoIt-based ones.

BTW, is "wrapper" a good term to use for JauntePE-generated EXEs, or is there a better term for it?

crownixx

#5 Post by crownixx »

GeddichNixan wrote:I would say this forum is still the right place for sharing one's experiences with JauntePE, so why not built up a knowledge base by posting in this thread?
Yup, i hope it would be just like that, especially for the names that redllar mentioned in "Contributions". Hope they continue their contributions in the forum.
Andrew Lee wrote:That's really cool! For a start, I have created a new forum for sharing ready-made JPE wrappers.

I will also share a few wrappers that I have been using on a daily basis. I was thinking once a shared wrapper gets enough usage and has all the kinks ironed out, then we can promote it to the main index and get it to replace the existing NSIS/AutoIt-based ones.

BTW, is "wrapper" a good term to use for JauntePE-generated EXEs, or is there a better term for it?
Thanks Andrew, your contributions means a lot to JauntePE development. Only in TPFC i could found a lot of people who has interest in JauntePE.

The term "wrapper" is really simple and good in expressing its purpose. i start with my point of view:

NSIS/AutoIt portable launcher: They "set up" the settings of an application to fit into current host environment. The "set up" could be pass parameter, temporarily add&move registry or temporarily add&move files/folder. In order to work in limited environment, this type of launcher has to decline application that use HKLM or/and HKCR

While JauntePE works different way than NSIS/AutoIt portable launcher. This is my own view (currently collecting evidence to make a new topic): JauntePE injection "things" made the application to have its own "virtual registry" and "virtual file system". Any changes will be directed to those virtual. The "host registry" & "host file system" will not be touch at all. It is possible to portable the application that use HKLM or/and HKCR using JauntePE

The main point is, there is a HUGE different between how to portablized app using NSIS/AutoIt portable launcher and JauntePE.

"Wrapper" is already widely use to represent a portable launcher based on NSIS/AutoIt. Using "wrapper" with JauntePE could possibly lead misunderstanding to the people. Maybe we could use the same term that redllar use in Readme?

Here's the few list i could found in the Readme
* generic portable launcher (in Introduction)
* standalone portable launcher (in JPE Builder)
* portable launcher (in The Examples )
* application-specific standalone portablization packages (in License)
* JauntePE standalone launcher (in Getting Started)
* 030 launcher exe (in Getting Started)
* JauntePE-built app launcher (in FreeCell Example)
* JauntePE portable launcher (Explorer Example)

We could conclude that redllar preferrably use "launcher" instead of "wrapper". So I propose to use this term just to be uniform with the guideline.
(1) JauntePE Application Launcher
(2) JauntePE Portable Launcher
(3) JauntePE App-specific Launcher

m^(2)

#6 Post by m^(2) »

crownixx wrote:
GeddichNixan wrote:I would say this forum is still the right place for sharing one's experiences with JauntePE, so why not built up a knowledge base by posting in this thread?
Yup, i hope it would be just like that, especially for the names that redllar mentioned in "Contributions". Hope they continue their contributions in the forum.
Andrew Lee wrote:That's really cool! For a start, I have created a new forum for sharing ready-made JPE wrappers.

Thanks Andrew, your contributions means a lot to JauntePE development. Only in TPFC i could found a lot of people who has interest in JauntePE.

The term "wrapper" is really simple and good in expressing its purpose. i start with my point of view:

NSIS/AutoIt portable launcher: They "set up" the settings of an application to fit into current host environment. The "set up" could be pass parameter, temporarily add&move registry or temporarily add&move files/folder. In order to work in limited environment, this type of launcher has to decline application that use HKLM or/and HKCR

While JauntePE works different way than NSIS/AutoIt portable launcher. This is my own view (currently collecting evidence to make a new topic): JauntePE injection "things" made the application to have its own "virtual registry" and "virtual file system". Any changes will be directed to those virtual. The "host registry" & "host file system" will not be touch at all. It is possible to portable the application that use HKLM or/and HKCR using JauntePE

The main point is, there is a HUGE different between how to portablized app using NSIS/AutoIt portable launcher and JauntePE.

"Wrapper" is already widely use to represent a portable launcher based on NSIS/AutoIt. Using "wrapper" with JauntePE could possibly lead misunderstanding to the people. Maybe we could use the same term that redllar use in Readme?

Here's the few list i could found in the Readme
* generic portable launcher (in Introduction)
* standalone portable launcher (in JPE Builder)
* portable launcher (in The Examples )
* application-specific standalone portablization packages (in License)
* JauntePE standalone launcher (in Getting Started)
* 030 launcher exe (in Getting Started)
* JauntePE-built app launcher (in FreeCell Example)
* JauntePE portable launcher (Explorer Example)

We could conclude that redllar preferrably use "launcher" instead of "wrapper". So I propose to use this term just to be uniform with the guideline.
(1) JauntePE Application Launcher
(2) JauntePE Portable Launcher
(3) JauntePE App-specific Launcher
"Launcher" is way more widely used than "wrapper" when it comes to NSIS / AutoIT soultions. It would lead to even bigger misunderstanding. And I feel that unlike "wrapper" is better because it's relevant to what happens under the hood. It takes a program and wraps in a kind of sandbox.

crownixx

#7 Post by crownixx »

Maybe my first argument is not so strong. But for the other argument, my suggestions are only to make them tailor with the guideline in the readme.html. This could avoid confusion for new user.

m^(2)

#8 Post by m^(2) »

crownixx wrote:Maybe my first argument is not so strong. But for the other argument, my suggestions are only to make them tailor with the guideline in the readme.html. This could avoid confusion for new user.
Agreed.
Maybe we should ask redllar to change the readme? :P
It doesn't have consistent naming anyway.

freakazoid

#9 Post by freakazoid »

How about just calling an app "Jaunted" or "JauntePE'd"... in the same way people say an app has been Thinstalled?

eg. Firefox 3.0.3 JauntePE'd

Either that or "Sandboxed"...

This would clearly distinguish that this program is not associated with NSIS/AutoIT launchers. Although "Sandboxed" could imply you used SandboxIE.

What do you guys think?

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

Jaunted sounds cool...almost like haunted... :)

m^(2)

#11 Post by m^(2) »

freakazoid wrote:How about just calling an app "Jaunted" or "JauntePE'd"... in the same way people say an app has been Thinstalled?

eg. Firefox 3.0.3 JauntePE'd

Either that or "Sandboxed"...

This would clearly distinguish that this program is not associated with NSIS/AutoIT launchers. Although "Sandboxed" could imply you used SandboxIE.

What do you guys think?
Sounds good, but I thing that JauntePE needs much, much more attention, now it would be meaningless for average Joe.

freakazoid

#12 Post by freakazoid »

That's why having the name "JauntePE" embedded in the title of portable releases will help spread the word of this underrated app.

At least that's my rationale!

Now all I would like to see are some releases in the JauntePE apps forum! ;)
http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=13

Andrew Lee

#13 Post by Andrew Lee »

For the time being, I am changing the name to "launchers" instead of "wrappers" to be more consistent with redllar's terminology.

Firewrath

#14 Post by Firewrath »

Well, im glad someone beat me to this, :P
i have some comp problems, mainly the lack of one, ...and a job, :P

till Dec anyways, so hopefully by Jan or so i'll have a decent comp and can get in on some of this, ^-^

i think its nice theres still a lot of interest in JPE and that Launchers can now be submitted for use, ^-^

*pokes Andy*
mebey a small section (3-5 entries) between 'Popular titles' and the 'Recent forum post' on the main page for like: 'recent or popular JPE launchers' ? :P

i know your very busy and all, but yeah, just an idea, ^-^

Anyways guys,
im off till i get comp access again,
cya all later, ...hopefully, :P

GeddichNixan

#15 Post by GeddichNixan »

Hi Firewrath,

welcome back, nice to read a posting from you. Actually it was your howto posted in this forum which let me take a closer look at JPE. As a matter of fact at that time you were listed as the developer of JPE on many websites. However, come back as soon and as often you can and help us to establish a JPE community.