Little help needed (JPE false-positive)

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
spacemonkey

Little help needed (JPE false-positive)

#1 Post by spacemonkey »

A recent auto update of AVG free on my PC has identified my jaunt applications as a Trojan!!! Now I know they aren't but the files now will not run and I'm unable to access them. Anyone with any ideas or help on this one?..... :?

grannyGeek

#2 Post by grannyGeek »

Does AVG have a support forum where you can go for advice?

I use Avast and it incorrectly identified and disabled some of my files (I had used a Batch-to-Exe converter ) and on the Avast forum I was advised to report that as a false positive. Unfortunately, I think it seems to take a long time for the developers to get that kind of problem confirmed and fixed, I'm still waiting many weeks later.

Have you tried a system restore to roll back to before the auto-update?

spacemonkey

#3 Post by spacemonkey »

Had a look at their forum.. not a lot of help that i could find. I tried the roll back and that didn't help either. Even when I turn off AVG and its processes I still can't run my JPEized files???
:?

It seems to have altered the way my system sees the files and will not allow me to access them.

Any more ideas?...

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

I guess you could uninstall AVG and look for different anti-virus that doesn't report false positive on JPE.

Or maybe you could try to disable the service. I'm not certain if AVG uses service, but you could check by typing services.msc on Start -> Run console. If there's service from AVG, try to stop it. However, this is only temporary solution. I suggest to contact AVG developer of the false positive or install different AV.

spacemonkey

#5 Post by spacemonkey »

Already got shot of AVG but it seems that its altered my system/reg files. Will keep bugging AVG for help but not holding my breath... :evil:

grannyGeek

#6 Post by grannyGeek »

Two user forums that have a lot of info and help about Anti-virus are
Gladiator Security
http://www.gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/

and the MajorGeeks forum
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/

Maybe you could post at those forums if the AVG forum is not giving you any useful help.

Firewrath

#7 Post by Firewrath »

i did a post on this before, for thier spyware scanner, its Here,
but it wont help you or anything, just saying its been around for a while,

ive been alittle busy with some offline BS lately and havnt had a chance to get back to redllar,
but, he's working on a new version of JPE,
and So Far, the portable .exes ive made with it havnt been flagged by AVG,
now, ive only tryed this once or twice, so its not a 100%,
but take it for what you will,

spacemonkey

#8 Post by spacemonkey »

Firewrath, I clearly didn't search the forum enough for this, your post is the same as I've just started getting. Strange thats its taken about a year to pop up tho.

Ok, so I reinstalled AVG then uninstalled it again and as if by magic the problem is gone?! Not sure why and don't really care as my JPE apps now work again :D

Thanks to GrannyGeek and Chris for your help as well.

Firewrath

#9 Post by Firewrath »

spacemonkey wrote: Ok, so I reinstalled AVG then uninstalled it again and as if by magic the problem is gone?! Not sure why and don't really care as my JPE apps now work again :D
Hate to say this, but itll prolly come back soon as you update your virus definitions,

the 'fix' i have is just turning off the 'Resident Shield Scanner' whenever i want to run a JPE app, or leaving it off if im going to run a few,

Firewrath

#10 Post by Firewrath »

Ok, just an update here,
seems AVG no longer tags JPE portable .exes as being infected with a virus.
ive updated my AVG twice, so i think everythings good now.

spacemonkey

#11 Post by spacemonkey »

Thanks for the update. I actually switched to Avast for quick n easy fix.