What do you want done with JauntePE in the near future?

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.

What do you want done to JPE after the MCH DLL is no longer distributed with JPE?

Leave the JPE distributables as is without the MCH DLL and continue with the 01* bug fixing
13%
Leave the JPE distributables as is without the MCH DLL and finish the 02* version
No votes
Statically link MCH into JPE so the distributed JPEs are usuable by all and continue with the 01* bug fixing and then maybe later on someone will find an MCH replacement
80%
Stop distribution, create a source-code only project on SourceForge, and wait for someone to add their own dll-injecting and api-hooking library to it
7%

Total votes: 15

Kranor

#31 Post by Kranor »

I'd like to add my two penny worth.............Well actually i would add 10 bucks count me in!!!!!

Zach Thibeau

lol

#32 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Kranor wrote:I'd like to add my two penny worth.............Well actually i would add 10 bucks count me in!!!!!
Well I wouldd add mine but I got a loan thats almost payed off that I wnt to finish before I send my $10 and I'll probably add another $10 to the mix afterwards :P

Onesimus Prime

API hooking...

#33 Post by Onesimus Prime »

I was at SMarmotte's site (the maker of UPXShell), and noticed there were two "lier" (liar?) programs that utilize API hooking. Don't know much about the subject in general, or if the underlying structure of one of these programs could be used with JauntePE. But SMarmotte is definitely aware of this community, and at least might be open to the possibility?

Chris

#34 Post by Chris »

Me too. I would like to see more of JauntePE, so I'm also in.

redllar

#35 Post by redllar »

I'm working on completing my final public version that will have the MCH dll injection and api hooking code statically linked into the jauntePE dll, thanks to madshi and a ghost supporter. So no one needs to buy anything, right now anyway.

After I release my final version, hopefully in a couple of weeks but definitely before the end of the year, I will open source the code I wrote to the public domain for whoever wants to try their hand at either continuing with JPE or starting up their own effort.

Queue

#36 Post by Queue »

Neat! And looking forward to it. Thank you for all you've done.

Queue

jbarr

Looking forward to your updates.

#37 Post by jbarr »

JauntePE has served me VERY well. I've Thinstalled a number of apps, but sometimes, TS is just overkill. JauntePE is so nice to be able to make quick and dirty portables, as well as (and possibly more importantly) being able to "trap" the files and registry settings quickly and easily.

I'm not up at all on the internals, so I'll let the rest of you discuss it, but from a USER perspective, simpler documentation to be able to better decode and determine that driectories to sandbox would be most welcome.

chezduong

#38 Post by chezduong »

@redllar,

Very happy to see that you're still in the neighborhood. You were quiet for some time now and I was worried that you had "left". Also, someone else asked a question about your website which seemed to be down or taken down so I feared the worst.

Glad to see that things seem to be working out with madshi and the ghost supporter.

Andrew Lee

#39 Post by Andrew Lee »

@redllar: This is fantastic news! Thanks for the update.

spacemonkey

#40 Post by spacemonkey »

Appreciate all you've done so far redllar. Looking forward to the new version.

sgp

#41 Post by sgp »

Great news Redlar! Looking forward of your new release. Thank you so much.

redllar

#42 Post by redllar »

Well all, I'm afraid I'm not going to make that "definitely by the end of the year" deadline I set for myself. I made the mistake of sending a copy to Firewrath and of course he found bugs I completely missed and was convinced were user errors. :)

But I am still working on it and we do seem to be getting more and more apps running with each passing day. So sooner or later something's going to be released. Hopefully sooner. And hopefully the new version will make up for the wait.

Zach Thibeau

#43 Post by Zach Thibeau »

redllar wrote:Well all, I'm afraid I'm not going to make that "definitely by the end of the year" deadline I set for myself. I made the mistake of sending a copy to Firewrath and of course he found bugs I completely missed and was convinced were user errors. :)

But I am still working on it and we do seem to be getting more and more apps running with each passing day. So sooner or later something's going to be released. Hopefully sooner. And hopefully the new version will make up for the wait.
Just a thought that was going through my brain (something you don't have to do yourself Redllar) but wouldn't it be nice to statically link the JauntePE dll in the JauntePE Program especially the portable executable that is generated, to keep the package free of any dll just the executable that has Jaunte.dll internally and statically , of course just a thought as I have said,

Chris

#44 Post by Chris »

Thank you for all of your works, redllar. Happy New Year 2008!!

sgp

#45 Post by sgp »

Hey Redllar, happy new year! Don't worry about not making a self-imposed deadline, we can wait. Just rest assured that JauntePE is one of the best portabilizers around - personally it's my favorite one - so your work is and will always be greatly appreciated.