jauntePE 0.1.6 dlls ready for use/testing

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
redllar

jauntePE 0.1.6 dlls ready for use/testing

#1 Post by redllar »

Gotta make some runs for a few days to try and pay the bills, so I've decided to make the next jpe dll version available. And since I'm close to leaving, and things have been working well within the forum, I've also decided to make it available to anyone who wants them. The only thing I'm asking is that it not be distributed via the net. You can get it at http://www.geocities.com/redllar/JauntePE016dlls.zip.

I've done a fair bit of testing over the last 2 weeks - hopefully a few of the recent bugs will have been squashed. I am still having problems running the TWE 9 thread process with the default version of the dll. So there's definitely still some synchronization issues left to be solved.

And this is our first look at one of the new JPE icons that Lance Lueloff (aka Kundalini) has made. :)

Here's the contents of the included change log:

Code: Select all

- What was tested with jpe dll v 1.6
  (on Windows 2000 SP1 only - used in-memory registry except where noted)

o Firefox            1.5.0.11      (discovery mode only)
  o Foxit Reader       2.1.2007.2023 (start/stop; setting change)
  o IcoFX              1.5           (start/stop; setting change)
  o Iconoid            3.8.5.0       (start/stop; setting change; icon pos save)
  o MetaPad            <unknown>     (start/stop; setting change)
  o PDF-XChange Viewer 1.0.0.22      (start/stop; setting change; doc view)
  o Process Explorer   10.20.0.0     (start/stop; setting change)
  o Process Monitor    1.20.0.0      (start/stop; setting change)
  o ThinkWave Educator 2.81.1.26     (start/stop; works only with jpe log dll -
                                                  don't need active debug viewer)
  o WinMerge           2.6.8.0       (start/stop)
  o xplorer2           1.6.5.3       (start/stop; setting change; dir traversal)

- What was changed with jpe dll v 1.6
  o deadlocking related (app hangs with no cpu usage evident)
    o updated VC++ to SP6 (included some deadlocking fixes for STL containers)
    o removed api hook unwinding at process end

o performance and deadlocking related
    o removed file system redirection api hooks multi-thread synchronization
      with the system registry redirection api hooks
    o removed discovery mode multi-thread synchronization with the system
      registry redirection api hooks
    o removed gdi multi-thread synchronization with the system registry
      redirection api hooks
    o added discovery mode list specific multi-thread synchronization,
      encompassing both file system and system registry usage tracking
    o minimized system registry redirection multi-thread synchronization

o bug fix related
    o removed code that would allow a system registry value change to occur if
      the value was not found in the in-use portable registry (this may re-
      introduce problems that were previously fixed since there was no
      indication in the code as to whether this was just overlooked or was added
      for some specific reason)
    o linked VC++ runtime into the dll to avert problems associated with
      hooking apps that make use of newer versions of the VC++ runtime
    o removed v 1.2 introduced bug which could lead to incorrect module usage
      testing and discovery mode reporting for multi-threaded apps

o now providing 4 different builds for you to manually choose from:
    o default - for use with all apps
    o log     - for use with all apps to track down jpe-related bugs (use in
                conjunction with any OutputDebugString viewer such as
                Sysinternal's Debug View)
    o min     - for use with non-VC++ apps or those that use the VC++ 6.0
                runtime or a VC++ 6.0 compatible runtime
    o opt     - for use with all apps where speed is more important than size

o window identification
    o changed the titlebar icons to 24bpp instead of 32bpp alpha-blended
    o making use of one of the new icons created specifically for JPE by
      Lance Lueloff (aka Kundalini)

Onesimus Prime

Thanks!

#2 Post by Onesimus Prime »

Hi Redllar,
I guess I've been a "lurker" here for about a year, mostly b/c I feel I don't really have anything to contribute. I have a copy of your JPE (ver. 0.1.1, I think) from a while back. I was disappointed when you severely limited access to 0.1.5 (though I understand why), but didn't think it was fair to you to finally register here, just for the sake of asking you for a copy.
I will (and did) register, though, to tell you how much I appreciate your making 0.1.6 publicly available. I have already downloaded it, and look forward to exploring the wonderful world of JPE! Thank you for all your work on the program and your support to its users on this site, and also for being willing to post this new version!

-Onesimus P.

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

I don't know is this because of lack of Excludes-Includes in the JPE-ini, but when I run ObjectDock using the 0.1.6, the OD opens and closes immediately.
Then I run OD without its setting (delete the OD-ini, not JPE-ini), it works. But when I want to open the setting's window, OD closes again.

I also tested this with regedit. Each time I click Import or Export, regedit closes also. The runtime setting is:

[Registry]
Use=1
Data=.\JPE-Data\Registry\%appname%_registry.reg

[Filesystem]
Use=1
Data=.\JPE-Data\FileSystem\%appname%\
Both using default and opt.

@Onesimus Prime: now that you already registered, I guess.. you could help by giving some feedbacks to find possible bugs or feature request. I believe redllar would not be disappointed with this decision if it's resulting more people come to help improving JauntePE.

chezduong

#4 Post by chezduong »

I just had a run at the .016 dll's, quickly testing both the default and the opt dll's. The results are that most applications seem to work consistently for three or four launches (I did not test further) except for 3 applications.

I used the same portable launchers (without packed dll's) as with my prior version 0.1.4, the same .ini files, the same everything. In fact, the only thing I did differently was replace the JPE.dll in the JPE directory with first the default 0.1.6 dll and then later with the 0.1.6 opt dll.

Semi-Detailed results

1. Ad-Aware
Does not start at all. I see the Ad-Aware_portable.exe launch in the TaskMgr, but not the Ad-Aware.exe itself. After 1 second, the Ad-Aware_portable.exe disappears. Same behavior for both default and optimized dll's.

2. Foxit Reader 2.1
Does not start at all. I see both FoxitReader.exe and FoxitReader_portable.exe launch in TaskMgr, but both disappear within 2 seconds. Same behavior with both dll's. I don't think that this has anything to do with anything, but don't forget that I removed the "space" between Foxit and Reader in my .exe.

3. Firefox 2.0.0.6
Starts with blank page instead of with my last opened tabs as indicated in the settings. Extensions/plugins do not seem to work properly. Same behavior with both dll's.

For Firefox, I have been experiencing strange behavior from time to time with the 0.1.4 dll so I am sure that my .ini file is not perfect, but it would at least start 95% of the time with my normal tabs, though.

I tried launching the above programs several times and got the same results.

Frustrated, I tried to use registry discover on Firefox several times with the default 0.1.6 dll. FF did not start. There was a dialog box which popped up saying that the software had to finish installation before using it or something similar. I got a partial discovery.ini if this interest you.

I copied the old 0.1.4 dll back into the JPE directory. Tried all three software and all three launched successfully as before.

System is XP Home SP2 French on AMD Athlon 2000+ with 256 Mb Ram.

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

Hello, chezduong. With 0.1.5, I have managed to use your setting on Firefox for around 2 days, then it hang when I deleted a file via the dialog window. I only changed 2 settings from yours to:

RedirMisc=0 
MemRegistry=4
And I'm using Tab Mix Plus to manage my tabs, it has worked great for me, just in case you want to use it.

4wd

#6 Post by 4wd »

First off, thank you redllar for this excellent program.

And now the question :)

Does this library work with all versions of JauntPE, (last versions I have is 0.13 and the 0.20 experimental), or do I need a specific version to 'drop' the library into?

Thanks again.

sgp

#7 Post by sgp »

chezduong wrote:2. Foxit Reader 2.1
Does not start at all. I see both FoxitReader.exe and FoxitReader_portable.exe launch in TaskMgr, but both disappear within 2 seconds. Same behavior with both dll's. I don't think that this has anything to do with anything, but don't forget that I removed the "space" between Foxit and Reader in my .exe.
Foxit Reader 2.1.2023 works fine for me with 0.1.6 jauntePE.dll logging version --which is the default one in the zip archive. And I renamed to FoxitReader.exe too. My ini settings are

[RegistryInclude] 
1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader
2=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FoxitReader.Document
3=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf
4=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{14E8BBD8-1D1C-4D56-A4DA-D20B75EB814E}
5=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/pdf
6=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf

[RegistryIgnore] 
1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader
2=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FoxitReader.Document
3=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf
4=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{14E8BBD8-1D1C-4D56-A4DA-D20B75EB814E}
5=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/pdf
6=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf

[RegistryExclude] 
1=*

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

So, chezduong were you able to run Foxit Reader 2.1 using sgp setting? My OD also does the same like what you experienced with Foxit Reader, I want to know is that behavior because of the lack of Registry settings in my ini.

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

xplorer2lite V1.6.5.3 works so far with jauntePEopt.dll.

Foxit Reader V2.1 works as well with jauntePEopt.dll.

Process Explorer V11.0 does not work with all versions of jauntePE.dll. Error message is:
Runtime Error!

v:\apps\procexp\procexp.exe

The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Popped back jauntePE.dll V0.15 and it works again.

sgp

Re: jauntePE 0.1.6 dlls ready for use/testing

#10 Post by sgp »

redllar wrote:

- What was tested with jpe dll v 1.6
  (on Windows 2000 SP1 only - used in-memory registry except where noted)

o Process Explorer   10.20.0.0     (start/stop; setting change)
On WinXP Pro SP2 process explorer 10.11.0.0 and 11.0.0.0 stop immediately with an error dialog

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\apps\sysinternalsJPE\procexp.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
jauntePE.dll 0.1.5 works fine.

Process Monitor works with jauntePE.dll 0.1.6

Zach Thibeau

#11 Post by Zach Thibeau »

O_o will this work with the JauntePE 0.15 exe?

chezduong

#12 Post by chezduong »

I had a chance to quickly retest v0.1.6 dll's on a completely different setup. WinXP Pro SP2 T2300 @ 1.67 GHz, 512 Mb RAM and in English.

Foxit Reader 2.1
Starts perfectly several times in a row with both the standard and the optimized dll's. No changes to the ini file, no other changes from settings above. Starts perfectly when I switched back to the 0.1.4 version.

Firefox 2.0.0.6
Default dll starts with a blank page (instead of my prior open tabs). Seems to work fine, but was not extensively tested. On the optimized version, it did not work, giving a message about installation not being completed and needing to stop. When I switched back to 0.1.4, all tabs came up on startup like normal.

Ad-Aware
Both versions seem to work okay with the exception of a pop-up box on startup saying that my exception list was corrupted so would be deleted and replaced with a clean one. I opened the program with 0.1.4 dll and the message box did not come up. Like I said, seems to work fine except for this.

KompoZer
I just tried this for grins. Opened fine. When I closed, both dll's gave me an error message titled: XPCOM blah blah blah. When I switched back to 0.1.4, no error message.

Again, none of the ini settings were changed from my "standard" runs. Hope this helps. I'll test it again on my slow system and let everyone know what the exact error messages are.

redllar

#13 Post by redllar »

Hey guys,

Sorry about the mess I left you with. Here's a 0.1.6.1 version for you to try that may fix the problems some of you are having.

In case the normal mode of operation still doesn't work, I added a new JPE runtime ini setting, [Redirection]SingleThread. Set it to 1 to force a multi-threaded app to operate in a single-threaded manner when executing the jauntePE dll code. Turning the setting on causes the jauntePE dll to revert back to its old, safer, method of operation. But of course it will also run slower.

chezduong

#14 Post by chezduong »

I just tried with both the default and the optimized 0.1.6.1 dll's on Firefox, KompoZer, Ad-Aware and Foxit. Foxit worked fine. KompoZer and Ad-Aware closed with the below message.

Title of window
XPCOM:EventReceiver:Kompozer.exe

Text of window
The instruction at "0x7c90256d" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program.

Firefox did not start at all, but showed the following message:
The program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to complete. Please restart.

I tried with the new SingleThread setting with the default 0.1.6.1 dll to see if it changes something. Got the same errors except for Ad-Aware which started without a window (TaskMgr).

I reverted back to 0.1.4 dll.

redllar

#15 Post by redllar »

chezduong wrote: I reverted back to 0.1.4 dll.
Yeah, it's been a waste of my time too.