jauntePE 0.1.6 dlls ready for use/testing

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
redllar

#31 Post by redllar »

I think I finally found the problem. Which after seeing what it was explains all of the weird stuff going on. GoogleTalk now installs and runs fine under JPE. I also got SlowLearner's TWE monster app to run using the default jpe dll.

I'll do some more testing tonight and try and get a new version out if all goes well.

Chris

#32 Post by Chris »

Oh, no no, redllar there is no apologize necessary, I'm very grateful for the works you have done.
could be used to help build inclusion/exclusion lists directly.
So, it would be like a wizard for file and registry's inclusion/exclusion, then users would not need to manually edit the JPE-ini? Very nice and user friendly indeed.
Thank you again and good luck with the testing.

sgp

#33 Post by sgp »

redllar wrote:I'll do some more testing tonight and try and get a new version out if all goes well.
Can you hear the cheerleaders? :P

redllar

#34 Post by redllar »

Okay, I got 12 apps of various types tested with no problems (except the one noted below), all running with all versions of the dlls. I think, at least from my viewpoint, that it should be safe to use the "min" version as your primary jpe dll again.

I went back to the old method of having the jpe dll doing the unhooking, so there may still be an issue with hanging apps on shutdown for some of you. I did make a minor change for that so maybe it'll help. If not I can still add in an option to allow you to control how the unhooking is done.

I also fixed the erroneous ShFileOperation usage popup, but you'll still get it for multi-file usage, which is what jpe currently doesn't support.

And, in attempting to run the Firefox 2.* installer on a pc that already had Firefox 1.5.* installed, I found out that the [FilesystemIgnore] list is not used yet. So I need to get that working.

The dlls zip is at http://www.geocities.com/redllar/JauntePE0162dlls.zip I'm headed out of town again tomorrow night but will try and check in at least a couple of times before then.

sgp

#35 Post by sgp »

redllar wrote:multi-file usage, which is what jpe currently doesn't support.
What is it exactly?

crownixx

#36 Post by crownixx »

redllar wrote:Hey sgp, thanks for all of the useful tries and info. I'll try and remember to put in a fix for that strange exclusion list set you created.
i hope it is the same bug that i having when exlucluding is on in Vista testing

sgp

#37 Post by sgp »

redllar wrote:Okay, I got 12 apps of various types tested with no problems. I think, at least from my viewpoint, that it should be safe to use the "min" version as your primary jpe dll again.
OK, I tested 14 apps with the min version. 11 worked fine. Of the remaining 3, 2 of them had some previous issues that this version fixed, the last one is foxit and it still isn't working. At least it doesn't hang thought. So the score is 15/16 for me, very positive.
I noticed that the (questionable) ini setting [ModuleExclude] 1=* 2=some.dll still leaves the "excludeallmodules" flag unset.

redllar

#38 Post by redllar »

sgp wrote:
redllar wrote:multi-file usage, which is what jpe currently doesn't support.
What is it exactly?
If you ever get a popup telling you that "%appname% is attempting a SHFileOperation call that jauntePE is not yet equipped to properly redirect.", then one or more files will possibly not be redirected correctly while they are being copied, deleted, moved, or renamed. But I've yet to run across an app that uses SHFileOperation in this manner.

There's another possible popup for the registry api function RegQueryMultipleValues.

The possible popups have been in there for quite a while. If you haven't seen them yet then it's unlikely the apps you're JPEizing make use of those particular api functions in a way that JPE can't yet handle.
crownixx wrote:
redllar wrote: Hey sgp, thanks for all of the useful tries and info. I'll try and remember to put in a fix for that strange exclusion list set you created.
i hope it is the same bug that i having when exlucluding is on in Vista testing
It's not a bug. It's an undocumented user error. It's when an exclusion list has a "1=*" entry in it followed by additional entries, such as "2=anotherdll.dll". JPE will only "exclude all" if there is only 1 entry in the list and that entry is "1=*". sgp wants me to add code to also "exclude all" if there are more entries in the list besides the "1=*" entry.
sgp wrote:OK, I tested 14 apps with the min version. 11 worked fine. Of the remaining 3, 2 of them had some previous issues that this version fixed, the last one is foxit and it still isn't working. At least it doesn't hang thought. So the score is 15/16 for me, very positive.
Thanks for the testing, although your math looks a bit off. :) I've made all the suggestions I can think of re: foxit, so I'm leaving that one for you unless something else pops up unexpectedly.
sgp wrote:I noticed that the (questionable) ini setting [ModuleExclude] 1=* 2=some.dll still leaves the "excludeallmodules" flag unset.
Yep. I had more important things to do like sleep. Put a semi-colon at the front of the line to comment it out if you don't want to delete it.

redllar

#39 Post by redllar »

@all: Just fyi, I uploaded an 0163 build after I had a new idea on how to fix the sporadic app-end crashes. No testing of this version at all so take it with a grain of salt. The link's at http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2176.

Chris

#40 Post by Chris »

The regedit SHFileOperation thingy is no more. Didn't try it on more than 1 file, as regedit import is one file select.
And tested 0162, yes, I couldn't close OD without getting error message. But using 0163, the problem is no more. Great fix, redllar.

EDIT: One more thing, I Winamp crashed with explorer context menu plugin. Basically, I wanted to delete a mp3 file and it crashed. Have tried to exclude all module except winamp.exe, but still Winamp crashed on me. Using older version of JPE, sometimes Winamp would hang. Using the newest it seems always crash.
Here is the debugview log: http://mihd.net/fz4nrl. Hope could be useful. And again, if you want me to send via email, just let me know.

redllar

#41 Post by redllar »

Here's another version that addresses the app-end crashes in a more controlled manner. According to the MS docs this should work on all versions of Windows but who knows for sure. It definitely works fine here. Closing down the app this way also allowed me to add code to close a lot of the api-hooking related madCHook dll handles after the JPE dll finished loading, so that's another reason to use this version.

This version also contains the beginnings of the [FilesystemIgnore] section contents usage. I don't have code in for all of the hooked apis yet, but I was able to successfully JPE-install Firefox 2.0 while also keeping a normally installed Firefox 1.5. So, if you want, go ahead and try out the file system ignore list and let me know if you run into problems and I'll try and test that app here to see what's up.

Also, I forgot to mention that if you have a non-special folder path that you want to add to the [FilesystemInclude] list, the redirection will work correctly. It's just that there's no place yet in the JPE runtime ini for you to specify the associated redirection path. What JPE does for now, for paths it needs to redirect but doesn't have a redirection path for, is to dump them into an "Unknown" directory within the currently used portable file system.

redllar

#42 Post by redllar »

Chris wrote:The regedit SHFileOperation thingy is no more. Didn't try it on more than 1 file, as regedit import is one file select.
And tested 0162, yes, I couldn't close OD without getting error message. But using 0163, the problem is no more.
Thanks for testing and letting me know what happened.
Chris wrote:EDIT: One more thing, I Winamp crashed with explorer context menu plugin. Basically, I wanted to delete a mp3 file and it crashed. Have tried to exclude all module except winamp.exe, but still Winamp crashed on me. Using older version of JPE, sometimes Winamp would hang. Using the newest it seems always crash.
Here is the debugview log: http://mihd.net/fz4nrl. Hope could be useful. And again, if you want me to send via email, just let me know.
I tried to get your log but got a 404 on it. So if you could just email it to me I'll try and have a look sooner or later.

Honestly, I'm not expecting a JPE-portablized Winamp to be able to tell explorer to use a shell extension without having problems. You're basically trying to mix-and-match 2 different file systems: the system file system that explorer is working within and the portable file system that Winamp is working within.

redllar

#43 Post by redllar »

Chris wrote:EDIT: One more thing, I Winamp crashed with explorer context menu plugin. Basically, I wanted to delete a mp3 file and it crashed. Have tried to exclude all module except winamp.exe, but still Winamp crashed on me. Using older version of JPE, sometimes Winamp would hang. Using the newest it seems always crash.
Thanks for sending the log. According to the log the crash was due to the SHFileOperation changes I made. And since I can now duplicate the problem here I should have a fix for it within a few days. I'd have it out sooner but I'm in the middle of another set of mods that needs a lot of re-testing.

Chris

#44 Post by Chris »

Glad my log could be helpful for improving JauntePE.
And please do not worry too much about the SHFileOperation fix, I do not delete mp3 files that often at this moment.
Good luck with the testing.

JohnHolland

JauntePE latest version

#45 Post by JohnHolland »

Hi Redlar,
i am an admirer of your work and have been using an apparently older version of JauntePE. I notice that version 0.1.6 is no longer available through the geocities-page. Is there any place from where i can download it? Thanks for your kind assistance,
regards,
JH