problem running from network share

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
sgp

problem running from network share

#1 Post by sgp »

jauntepe.dll version 0.1.5 - window xp sp2
jauntepe folder and application folder are located on a linux samba network share
the network share is mapped to a local drive letter
the local drive letter is substituted with another drive letter using SUBST.exe

V: (subst) => B: (map) => \\server\share\folder (samba)

When I run this app as v:\folder\app_portable.exe
app.exe hangs (goes into 'limbo' mode)

If I move v:\folder\ to c:\folder (local drive) and run app_portable.exe from there app.exe works just fine.
If I run B:\folder\app_portable.exe app.exe still hangs

Same hang if I run \\server\share\folder\app_portable.exe
but in this case, jauntepe creates the following empty path
\\server\share\server\share\folder\Registry (app_jauntepe.ini redirects the registry to ".\Registry")

I use an identical setup for several jautepeized apps and they all work by simply running them as v:\folderX\appX.exe, but not this one app (unless when it's started from a local drive).

When I look at the process image with process explorer, I can see that app.exe is started from its installation folder, I guess that's something that app_portable.exe does. Just for kicks, I'd like to tell v:\folder\app_portable.exe to start v:\folder\app.exe from C:\
and see if it makes a difference for app.exe. Is it possible?

The application in question is an hotmail account popper, so it basically sits idle waiting for a tcp connection on local port 110.

redllar

#2 Post by redllar »

Is this an app I can get my hands on? I think I can set up 2000 here so that I can test it.

This kinda looks and sounds like what Chris is experiencing with the app taking part of the real special folder path and part of the redirected equivalent to make up a new full path. But that registry directory the JPE created is not right, so that bothers me.

sgp

#3 Post by sgp »

Hey Redllar, version 0.1.6 fixed all problems, thanks!

Except the bogus 192.168.0.2 registry folder creation. That's still being created in error, and it's empty.

sgp

#4 Post by sgp »

sgp wrote:Hey Redllar, version 0.1.6 fixed all problems, thanks!

Except the bogus 192.168.0.2 registry folder creation. That's still being created in error, and it's empty.
Sorry but it seems that the bug mentioned in this thread was reintroduced in versions 0.1.6.4 and 0.1.6.2. I went back to version 0.1.6.0 and verified again that the bug wasn't occurring there. The bug is: is a reference to file \\server\share\file\path is redirected to \\server\share\server\share\file\path which obviously fails.

I didn't notice whether the second problem in my quote above (bogus empty folder) is reproducible with 0.1.6.2 or 0.1.6.4.

soliars

#5 Post by soliars »

I had problem in this section.