feature request - wrapper pass command-line arguments

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
sgp

feature request - wrapper pass command-line arguments

#1 Post by sgp »

Hi Redllar,

Would you consider extending wrappers to take command-line arguments and pass them to the wrapped program? i.e.,

prog_portable.exe arg1 arg2 => runs jpeized prog.exe with arguments arg1 arg2

When the wrapped program isn't running already, it's pretty clear what would happen when it was started with arguments.
But what about the programs that restrict themselves to single instance, so it's always the same running instance that handles successive runs of new command-line arguments? Could those programs run as expected when jauntepeized?

redllar

Re: feature request - wrapper pass command-line arguments

#2 Post by redllar »

Hi Redllar,

Would you consider extending wrappers to take command-line arguments and pass them to the wrapped program? i.e.,

prog_portable.exe arg1 arg2 => runs jpeized prog.exe with arguments arg1 arg2
Sure. I took a quick look at the current exe code and I think I already made that change. I just need some time away from the jpe dll issues and q&a here to get all of the changes made since Feb of this year finalized and tested.
When the wrapped program isn't running already, it's pretty clear what would happen when it was started with arguments.
But what about the programs that restrict themselves to single instance, so it's always the same running instance that handles successive runs of new command-line arguments? Could those programs run as expected when jauntepeized?
No, not really. At least I don't think so at first guess. There's too many ways for an app to handle that situation. And although I know of and have used several myself, I couldn't assume anything specific as the ways to handle that are just too generic. I'll add it to the todo list so I can at least think about it.

EDIT: I think maybe there is after all, at least in some limited situations. I'd like another ini entry to make sure that it's a user-specified option though.

sgp

Re: feature request - wrapper pass command-line arguments

#3 Post by sgp »

redllar wrote:Sure. I took a quick look at the current exe code and I think I already made that change.
Indeed. In version 0.14 at least a command-line like
prog_portable.exe argfile.ext
seems to work. Also
\path\to\prog_portable.exe "%1"
works for shell\open\command registry keys.

redllar

#4 Post by redllar »

Thanks. I confirmed that and added a blurb in the 015 readme about it.

I think it must be the JPE exe's command lines that are missing the passed parms support. Thanks to you at least it's on my mind now to check it out.