PDF X-Change Viewer "portable", back to the drawin

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
grannyGeek

#16 Post by grannyGeek »

I'll whittle away at it with v 013 as well.

Don't break your back on this, these tweaks will be nice to have, but certainly aren't enough to lose any sleep over.

:)

crownixx

#17 Post by crownixx »

redllar, i did what you say and here is the result

Code: Select all

Key Name:          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Documents\LastOpened
Class Name:        <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time:   8/5/2007 - 5:29 PM

Key Name:          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Documents\LastOpened\0001

Key Name:          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Documents\LatestView

Key Name:          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Documents\LatestView\Bars

Key Name:          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Documents\LatestView\Panes
i didnt found any Class Name: ParamItem.. hurm, mybe of the different version? i use pdf xchange viewer v1.0 build 0017
Last edited by crownixx on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

redllar

#18 Post by redllar »

Were those reg keys created by PDFXCview or your app? If they weren't created by PDFXCview then they're not representing the truth of what the app does. This, btw, is not a question I expect you to answer here.

EDIT 2007/08/12: At crownixx's request, I have removed the paragraph concerning what happened last week in the JPE comments section, as well as my comments concerning his posts here about his use of x-launcher to portablize this app. My apologies to crownixx for my generalizations and by doing so, my implication that I considered him to be of the same ilk as those who made the posts I found offensive.
Last edited by redllar on Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

crownixx

#19 Post by crownixx »

honestly, the registry comes from PDFXCview that installed on my pc but that not important anymore..no more talk bout x-launcher
:( sorry, no need to be mad..removed the post. my early intention just like giving an idea how to remove the open recent and mybe this could be implement in the JauntePE ie i just intend to help you imroving JPE

redllar

#20 Post by redllar »

grannyGeek, good news!

I have a working portablized version of this app for you. Unfortunately there's still some code to be written for the in-memory .reg usage to handle the unique way that this app uses the registry, so you'll have to run without that option.

But otherwise the portablized app is running just great here.

grannyGeek

#21 Post by grannyGeek »

Sorry for the loooong delay in posting, catching up at work after vacation and all . . . .

hOOOray!

Now I have a well-behaved PDFxc viewer. Its Recent Files list is now operating as it should.
I'm using pdfxc build 16 from April 07, and JPE v 0.1.5.
I only used the wizard and the mimimalistic INI file, and all is working great.

Just in case anyone has been following this thread with the same problems I have had, I will warn you of this:

PDFxc put out a new build # 24 at end of August, it does't work well with being portablized with any version of JPE that I tried, and takes abysmally long to load. They must have changed something that now gets really slowed down by the process of re-direction.

I gave a quick couple of tries to using JPE v 0.1.6-1, but I am sad to report that there is some conflict in that version with both builds of pdfxc that I have available.
Opening the Help file from pdfxc main menu causes a crash every time. MS crash message box names wininet.dll. I can provide the DrWatson logs and dump files if they would be helpful for other research.

Anyway, I am a happy camper now, thanks to Redllar's patient and painstaking work in tracking down the fix for my little problem.

redllar

#22 Post by redllar »

I've been testing with the 22 build here without problems. I just opened up the help via Help->Contents without problems too. But I have the directory structure set up the way it came from the installer, so maybe that's the problem on your end. I can't really say without further info as to how you have things set up.

And thanks for the offer of the Dr. Watson report but it's pretty much useless given the way the app was started and run. What I need to know are the jpe-related specifics.

Actually, just trying different things with the jpe runtime ini couldn't hurt. As long as you don't care too much about stealthiness, you should be able to run this app using that initial jpe ini you had: turn off file system redirection and exclude all modules except for the main app and any other dlls it has.

grannyGeek

#23 Post by grannyGeek »

I don't think I need to do any more fiddling.
The wrapper created with v 015 is working just great.
Load time is fast, nothing is making pdfxc crash, my interface preferences are holding upon re-start, the Recent Files list is accurate.

It is stealthy as far as I have been able to verify with RegSeeker.
If only RegShot or RegSnap would work inside a Sandboxie virtual environment, I could check the stealth situation more accurately (not that I have thorough knowledge how to interpret those reports, but at least could post them here for advice.) Reports from my normal xp environment may not be accurate anymore, install and un-install of PDF-xc might have contaminated the Registry.

I'm off to try out your 12-step program (great name, well suited for us recovering users of windows bloat-ware!)

Thanks for all your help. (I think your work on this thread is done :) )