HOSTS file comparison

Any other tech-related topics
freakazoid

HOSTS file comparison

#1 Post by freakazoid »

I'm assuming you all know what a HOSTS file is and what you could use it for. If you don't, read:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

I've been using MVPS HOSTS file for many years, however I noticed that on ESPN.com, the videos wouldn't load.

This is a problem for me, so I switched to hpHosts:
http://hosts-file.net/

The only negative about hpHosts is the filesize; the MVPS hosts file is only around 600kb, while hpHosts is about 3.8 MB in size. (You could argue however that because hpHosts is larger, that it's more secure because it has more entries.)

Now that I'm using hpHosts, I can now view my ESPN videos again! :)

If you plan on using hpHosts, make sure to disable the DNS Client service.
is it stealth? ;)

carbonize

Re: HOSTS file comparison

#2 Post by carbonize »

You don't say what you are using the hosts file for? To block adverts? malicious sites?

I've had an argument on the HpHosts forum before now because it blocks digbsy.com just because their original installer contained some rather dodgy optional crap. I did write a blog entry about these block lists as I have yet to find one that does a regular check to see if the domains it is blocking still even exist. I went through some of the ones SpyBot added to my hosts files and five of the ones I tried were dead domains.

freakazoid

#3 Post by freakazoid »

Primarily to block ads, but blocking malicious sites is an added benefit.

If hpHosts blocked Digsby, then the people managing the list are a little aggressive! Tip: You can always use Opera Turbo to view the site though ;)

Which hosts file (if any) are you using?
FYI, I don't use Spybot anymore; I use SUPER Antispyware on-demand instead and it works for my needs.
is it stealth? ;)

carbonize

#4 Post by carbonize »

I don't use any hosts file these days. Only thing running is MSE and I use Adblock Plus in Firefox.

freakazoid

#5 Post by freakazoid »

I use a HOSTS file primarily because Opera's adblock and derivatives aren't up to par yet.
is it stealth? ;)

carbonize

#6 Post by carbonize »

Trouble with that is a hosts file can only block domains so if a site hosts the ads it's self you are unable to block them.

ashghost

#7 Post by ashghost »

freakazoid,

I know you posted this a few months ago, but I just started running into the same problem again (now that it's American football season), and I found a workaround here:http://www.freak-search.com/en/thread/3 ... spn_videos

The solution is simply to comment out every line containing the text "fmwrm", after which ESPN videos work again, and I can keep using the MVPs hosts file (which I use primarily for ad-blocking).

dot

#8 Post by dot »

If you use HostsXpert (mentioned on the mvps website, requires no install) you can conveniently maintain a "Whitelist".

From the HostsXpert helpfile:

Whitelist
Remove Whitelist Items - Checks your hosts file against your whitelist and removes whitelisted Domains from your hosts file.
Add Whitelist Items - Add the whitelisted domains back into your hosts file.
ViewWhitelist - Opens up your whitelist for direct editing.
Save and Exit Whitelist - Saves changes, and closes the editor.
Exit Whitelist - Exits the editor and Discards changes/does not save the whitelist.

corvaxmuzzy

#9 Post by corvaxmuzzy »

ashghost & freakazoid,

Thanks for the tips.

I use the Hostsman (suite) from abelhadigital (on MajorGeeks). It has HostsMan, a Hosts file editor, a local server (HostsServer), and an automatic HOSTS file update/merge feature (incl. MVPS's list).

I started out using FunkyToad's HostsXpert & Hoster. Good stuff.

I always wondered about the ESPN videos, but I just resigned myself to living without them.

It always amazes me when I use other peoples' computers. There is so much advertising that I just never see. I do not know how they put up with it. I like having HostsServer serve up a funny image (where advertising should go).

HostsServer + SpywareBlaster + beastly HOSTS file + Adblock Plus + Remove-It-Permanently = Joy

I also run my browser sandboxed (using the fantastic Sandboxie) when I tread in unknown areas.

Any suites for dealing with the HOSTS file on a Mac?