Outpost Security Suite FREE [discontinued]

Any other tech-related topics
Magibon

Re: Outpost Security Suite FREE

#16 Post by Magibon »

guinness wrote:If you have a Router with the Firewall turned on then Windows Firewall is really all you need! Plus now you have URLFilter.ini installed (and updated) you are less likely to connect to malicious sites. Also as an extra precaution have a look at adding sites to your HOSTS file. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm is a good place to start.

COMODO is ideal if you aren't behind a Router e.g. Fibre Optic as your ISP might have all Ports open for incoming traffic, so the 'Software' Firewall would limit these incoming connections to your computer.

Sometimes security overkill can do more harm than good!

Sorry carbonize for jumping in!

no.. please contribute.. anyone feel free..
currently.. i have 3 months left with Kaspersky..
While i have grown accustomed to Kaspersky.
I really want to go freeware.

So i would love as much input, opinions, user experience, recommendations, etc. as possible before my license is up.

My router's AV/Firewall is turned on.

"ashghost" mentioned using the "hosts" file earlier, and you're the 2nd person to mention it.
I am using it already, Spybot Search & Destroy adds a bunch of entries with it's immunization.

Right now.. here are the choices i am leaning towards:
1. Avira for AV. (review)
2. Comodo for Firewall. (review)
3. Windows Firewall.

more suggestions, opinions, etc .. would be greatly appreciated.

carbonize

#17 Post by carbonize »

No need to apologise as you did nothing. Anyway whilst Windows Firewall is not as complete as say Sygate (R.I.P) or Comodo it does do an adequate job. The common sense part comes from not doing silly things like opening email attachments or downloading files form unknown sources.

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: Unfortunately this program is no longer in development. The program is still up on Softpedia but is listed as a demo / trial and I can't find a home page ...

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus ... Free.shtml

bitcoin

#19 Post by bitcoin »

webfork wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:31 am Old thread update: Unfortunately this program is no longer in development. The program is still up on Softpedia but is listed as a demo / trial and I can't find a home page ...

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus ... Free.shtml
iirc they sold out to Kaspersky?

i actually bought a lifetime subscription to the Pro version and a few years later they closed down

webfork

#20 Post by webfork »

bitcoin wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:27 pm i actually bought a lifetime subscription to the Pro version and a few years later they closed down
My impression is that running a security company is difficult. You don't just need trained but trusted professionals, you need to make decisions that aren't just about security but also financial, and you have to innovate without stepping into an area you don't understand. The few software groups I've worked with -- who were expected to have excellent security -- seemed to have only a basic understanding.
Last edited by webfork on Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (edit: changed "business" to "security" )

bitcoin

#21 Post by bitcoin »

webfork wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:22 pm
bitcoin wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:27 pm i actually bought a lifetime subscription to the Pro version and a few years later they closed down
My impression is that running a security company is difficult. You don't just need trained but trusted professionals, you need to make decisions that aren't just business but also financial, and you have to innovate without stepping into an area you don't understand. The few software groups I've worked with -- who were expected to have excellent security -- seemed to have only a basic understanding.
they had one of the best firewalls available at the time, seemed like a good company that maybe just decided to cash out

it was odd that they started offering lifetime licenses to their product a few years earlier, one of the first large security software companies to offer this iirc - probably they had planned to wind down

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

bitcoin wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:35 pm it was odd that they started offering lifetime licenses to their product a few years earlier, one of the first large security software companies to offer this iirc - probably they had planned to wind down
Yeah makes sense. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I might try to specialize in working with companies that were closing their doors. I think that would be a very interesting business.