I hate Avira AntiVir 10

Any other tech-related topics
joby_toss

I hate Avira AntiVir 10

#1 Post by joby_toss »

I have to say this to someone so I can get (some of) it off my chest:

I HATE AVIRA ANTIVIR 10 WITH ALL MY HEART!

I have never ever seen such a huge step back taken in a software development path. NEVER!

The new "features" are driving me nuts! I have tried to cope with them for quite a few days now, since the "upgrade", but it is just impossible! The sad part is that this is all I can do about it; this and using the uninstallation feature that the developers, kindly enough, left in there. I won't even consider downgrading to version 9!
I think this is some kind of a lesson because I use a free antivirus (strange but true).

Let's see what else is out there!

P.S. you have to have used this version 10 of Avira so you can understand what I'm talking about...
And I am not the only one with this opinion. Just take a look at their forums.

-.-

Re: I hate Avira AntiVir 10

#2 Post by -.- »

yeah, didnt like it as much
but i only had 2 things that trigger false alarms so it wasnt bad after adding them to exceptions list

and i dont go around downloading things that have viruses... so any false alerts with the auto scan isnt too big of a problem.
though wish it would ask before it started scanning though lol

the corner box is bit problematic too since its fast enough that i cant read it all, and hovering mouse on it wont stop it from closing either

though i still like avira for now, if i'd switch i'm thinking about using microsofts security essentials, got that one a few pcs and it works fine too. less customization though. avast and avg arent bad, i used them before but i dont like their interface

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

I have so many Autohotkey scripts, so many Nirsoft tools, Executor indexing ... it's ...

There is only one explanation for this: they've been sabotaged! One of their developers works for "other team" for sure! :)

... stupid, just stupid!

-.-

#4 Post by -.- »

after reading their forums, i'll stick with avira

they called some of the things "bugs"... whether or not they are, they know people dont like it and will fix it
other than that, i like avira more than other options still

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

I was delighted with Avira! It never (NEVER) missed a virus for me! Many false positives though, but I'd take 20 false positive warnings over 1 missed virus anytime! And those false positives need to be addressed very quickly so your workflow doesn't have to suffer. And this is just impossible in version 10!

I'd also stick with it; but unless they change the current method of dealing with the warnings...
I still do not understand what was wrong with version's 9 method! One must be very desperate to change something that isn't broken!

m^(2)

#6 Post by m^(2) »

I don't know what's up, but I know a case when a kid dismissed AV positive because playing a game with a buddy was more important to him.
Possibly there are more such cases and making it harder to ignore a warning may be good for some.

-_-

#7 Post by -_- »

Hi im new here.
I loved Avira until a few months ago when it missed a FakeAV that the family clicked on.
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/6dde ... 1263520695
Got upset uninstalled and installed the Free Norton 360 V.3 that Comcast offers.
Its not as speedy but i only use it on the ones the kids play on.

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

I've just reinstalled my OS today (not Avira's fault) and decided to switch! :)

I'm using the free Avast now and I must say I'm pretty impressed, but it's only been a couple of hours...

Any tips on Avast AV? Any annoyances? :)

the_watcher

#9 Post by the_watcher »

last time i've used avast (v.4) , it was very resource heavy (on memory, at least)..
is it any better in the new version?
how does it compare to avira?

carbonize

#10 Post by carbonize »

From my own personal experience as well as others I have spoken to Avast has a poor record of detecting trojans.

I personally use Avira 10 on my laptops and Microsoft Security Essentials on this desktop. Avira's main problem with false positives was that if it came across an executable that had been packed using something like UPX it declared it as a virus. At least now this is an option that is disabled by default. If I come across a virus that my scanner doesn't detect (from emails as I don't download stupid things) then I will test them on VirusTotal and then report it to any of the big ones that are currently not detecting it. Most anti virus vendors make it easy to report a virus to them but others, such as Norman, make it near impossible.

There are many free anti virus programs these days but how good some of them are is unknown. You have the likes of Rising anti virus, Comodo anti virus, AVG, Avira, Avast and others. I tested Rising about a year so more ago and found it annoying and it failed to detect the Eicar test file at that time. Never tried Comodo but when I last looked at it it didn't even have a heuristics engine.

Oh and one thing to remember about Avira 10 is that it has cloud based definitions so that the latest big threats can be detected quicker. Allegedly anyway.

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss »

I used AviraAVFree for many years and was very happy. The best AV for my needs. Until version 10 which is a disaster for an "above average" user (I won't say advanced).

I only use Avast for a few days and until now I'm content with it. It runs 2 services at 10-20mb of RAM usage ,combined, most of the time (no idea what vmem usage is; also the Peak Working Set was 120mb at some point). No annoying pop-ups. It detected everything I threw at it. I'm pretty sure it won't disappoint me if it maintains the current options available.

I won't go back to Avira until they change it dramatically!

I use at work MSE and I'm very pleased with it, on XP. But when I tried it the other day (was my first choice after OS re-installation) it didn't fit me. It froze a couple of seconds every time it scanned an item. Very unproductive.

I'll stick with Avast until it'll disappoint me (I'm sure it will happen at some point).

carbonize

#12 Post by carbonize »

joby_toss wrote:I'll stick with Avast until it'll disappoint me (I'm sure it will happen at some point).
I just hope that if Avast does disappoint you it's not because it missed a virus which then infected your system. Yes this happened to me and is why I mainly avoid Avast although I did run Avast 5 on my laptop to test it.

the_watcher

#13 Post by the_watcher »

I only use Avast for a few days and until now I'm content with it. It runs 2 services at 10-20mb of RAM usage ,combined, most of the time (no idea what vmem usage is; also the Peak Working Set was 120mb at some point).
Avast 4 i had used consumed a total of 80mb(!). if they managed to drop it down to 10-20, then they're doing a damn good job! :)

Concerning Microsoft Security Essentials, it is one of the few AVs which is not affected by the kernel hook attack issue , as pointed in this research published by Matousec :

KHOBE – 8.0 earthquake for Windows desktop security software
http://www.matousec.com/info/articles/k ... ftware.php

[ArsTechnica] Microsoft: MSE safe from Windows kernel hook attack
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2 ... attack.ars

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss »

Well...20mb is the amount of memory that can't be shared (private working set).
The total amount of memory is more like 50mb, but part of it can be used by other apps.

carbonize

#15 Post by carbonize »

Does raise the question of which is the lamest ;)