help with windows xp windows

Any other tech-related topics
-.-

#1 Post by -.- »

My computer has been doing this for a while now, just put up with it till now. Anyways I have a widescreen monitor (not sure if it matters). Some programs are stretched so I can't see all the options. Just wondering if anyone knew how to fix it.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2575/screenq.jpg
not sure if my description is good so I included a picture. The options for it are hidden in the white space but program doesnt use that space to show anything.

It isnt just this program other ones do it too but I uninstalled them so I dont remember what they are now. I cant drag the window to be smaller because the white space also moves with it. Any help would be appreciated

castman

Re: help with windows xp windows

#2 Post by castman »

wide screen monitors need to be bigger: 19''

unless you try a resolution that is near from what the prog expects, there is a prog called Scrollable Desktop which might solve your problem

ashghost

#3 Post by ashghost »

I ran across what I think was a similar problem last year, after installing bad RAM on my friend's computer (after hours and hours of fixing her Windows installation, I learned: ALWAYS test your RAM!). The problem was in programs that use Internet Explorer's rendering engine to display window contents. I tried reinstalling IE, I Googled incessantly, but then I remembered Dial-a-Fix: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1196

I don't know if it was ActiveX or DirectX or whatever - I applied all of the options in the "Registration Center" section, and it fixed the problem.

Hope it works for you.

-.-

#4 Post by -.- »

not sure about the resolution thing :S i thought it was that before and I tried all of the choices I have, the white space just moves proportionally to how big the program window is as I change resolution. Not sure if there is anything else I can try with resolution though besides changing it. I'm on a 17" widescreen laptop with windows xp.

I dont think it is ram problem because ram works fine, its just a few programs that does this (maybe like 5 or 6 that I've come across) but I've tested it before and it was fine.

The dial-a-fix didnt work :(

any other ideas to fix this? :D lol thanks

castman

#5 Post by castman »

I am going to install Firefox instead of IE 8, next time I reinstall win.

xp's IE lacks protected mode and disabled shdocvw and browseui dlls, as the prg dial-a-fix says :P
Last edited by castman on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

-.-

#6 Post by -.- »

castman are you sure it is those things? i still get the white area in regtidy after using the dial a fix

castman

#7 Post by castman »

Yes, I am almost sure what are you talking about is an IE 8 problem, specifically when dealing with higher or lower DPIs than 96.

IE 8 is so stupid that zooms anything without any consent and also has missing to the user, the setting to change it! :mrgreen: .

-.-

#8 Post by -.- »

hm any ideas how to fix it? thanks, like i said above, i've tried the dial-a-fix and didn't work. So I dont know what else to try now.

I'm using 120 dpi... the other one is too small for me :(

castman

#9 Post by castman »

sorry, there is no way of fixing it unless you hack it or write a activex control

but there is a complicated way of going around it that involves: changing the font theme properties; hacking .msstyles and shellstyle.dll and finally assigning a font substitute to ms shell dlg 1 & 2.

if you are too anxius to do it, I recommend to try performing a clean unist to IE 8

overmore: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

-.-

#10 Post by -.- »

hm thx, think i'll put up with it then :S i use IE8 and don't dislike it enough to get rid of lol

castman

#11 Post by castman »

I don't like what you are doing :P, but I have a last idea. It won't fix it but will enable you to see the off-screen options.
Use a Window Manager like WinExplorer to increase the size of each blocking control of the window and you are done :mrgreen: .