Opera Question?

Any other tech-related topics
Ameri-CAIN

Opera Question?

#1 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

OK Opera Nuts! I have been playing around with Opera@USB. I like it, but for whatever reason, it wont recognize my SOCKS v5 Proxy. I run an SSH server at home that forwards out all my Internet requests from where ever I am through my home computer. I have KiTTy forward my requests by setting up a reverse SSH Tunnel. I then configure my Internet programs to use 127.0.0.1:8080 and presto, instant connect. However this proxy configuration doesn't work in Opera. In Firefox I have an option to choose SOCKS v5 Proxy. In Opera, I see no such option. Does anyone know if Opera is capable of using a SOCKS Proxy, and If so how would I go about configuring it to work.

Thanks!

freakazoid

#2 Post by freakazoid »

Tools > Preferences > Network > Proxy Servers

Try typing in your proxy info there and see what happens.

Remember to either refresh page or restart Opera.
is it stealth? ;)

Ameri-CAIN

#3 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

I did try Tools > Preferences > Network > Proxy Servers.

I type in my proxy info, enable it and then refresh the browser. I don't get any errors, the page just comes up blank. I also tried restarting the browser and still nada. I tried opening several pages with the proxy enabled, and nothing came up, not even Google. Its quite bizarre. I have run into this problem using this type of proxy for internet music programs like Winamp, and Screamer Radio, but not a browser. Then again, I have been a pretty loyal Firefox user for several years. I heard someone say Opera had more to offer in a portable fashion than Firefox, simply because most all good features are built in without the use of extensions. I have also heard claims that Opera runs faster in a portable fashion. But if I can't use my Proxy, (Secure SSH Reverse Tunnel) its pretty much a deal breaker.

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

Hey AmeriCAIN,

I did a quick search on Google for ya and found that there is indeed a problem.

A workaround is to use Privoxy for the SOCKS proxy and use Privoxy's HTTP proxy settings in Opera.
http://www.archivum.info/opera.general/ ... 00403.html

Hope that helps... you might want to try OperaTor, which has Tor and Privoxy combined with Opera:
http://portablefreeware.com/?id=980

Or use PortableTor (http://portablefreeware.com/?id=1088) in conjunction with Opera@USB.

I know that makes Opera quite inconvenient for your usage, but I am still an Opera advocate! You are right to say that a lot of features are built into Opera, which is why I use it for everyday surfing. For more advanced usage like web development, I use Firefox as a supplement.

Let us know what happens.
is it stealth? ;)

joby_toss

Re: Opera Question?

#5 Post by joby_toss »

Sorry for reviving such an old topic, but I also have an Opera related question.

I have a .txt file with about 100 urls (url/empty line/url/empy line, etc.).
Is there any way I can (quickly) open all these links, each in its own tab?

Note: I don't care if Opera can handle 100 opened tabs or not, this is not the question.

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

It's possible I could write a quick script in AutoIt.

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

That would be fantastic, thank you very much! (if by "could" you meant "would" :) )

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

Yeh I meant that. Couple of questions.

1. Are you using Opera as Portable and is it your default browser? i.e. when you select a URL link (.url or .lnk) it opens in Opera Portable.
2. Do you have AutoIt or should I compile it?

joby_toss

#9 Post by joby_toss »

1. Yes, Opera is used as portable app, with profile settings in its own folder. With it being the default browser...it's kind of a longer answer (I actually use FBL as default browser), but you should consider the answer: Yes, it acts as the default browser.
2. I have AuoIt and I will try to compile it myself. If I can't do it, I will tell you.

guinness

#10 Post by guinness »

Try this >> Just select the text and let the script do the rest. I've had to put a Sleep of 1 second for Opera to open the tab (nothing I can do I'm afraid.)

And I know you know the consequences but I really don't know how Opera handles 100 tabs being opened in a 100 seconds.

Code: Select all

#include <File.au3>

Exit _Main()

Func _Main()
	Local $aArray, $sFilePath

$sFilePath = FileOpenDialog("Open the URL log file.", @ScriptDir, "Text (*.txt)")
	If @error Then
		Return SetError(1, 0, 1001)
	EndIf

_FileReadToArray($sFilePath, $aArray)
	If @error Then
		Return SetError(2, 0, 1002)
	EndIf
	For $A = 1 To $aArray[0]
		If StringStripWS($aArray[$A], 8) = "" Then
			ContinueLoop
		EndIf
		ConsoleWrite("Opened >> " & $aArray[$A] & @CRLF)
		ShellExecute('"' & $aArray[$A] & '"')
		Sleep(1000)
	Next
	Return 1000
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss »

I did something wrong:

guinness

#12 Post by guinness »

Honestly (don't get mad) but I think you did. Are you using my version of AutoIt Portable? I've sent you a PM with a compiled version as just extracting the SFX doesn't really work when using UDFs.

joby_toss

#13 Post by joby_toss »

Hey, thank you very much! It does work!

Yes, I am using your portable version. I get this error while compiling and the previous one on execution:

guinness

#14 Post by guinness »

Does File.au3 exist in the Include folder? This can be found in the App folder. Also move the Script outside of Examples and maybe next to the App folder.

joby_toss

#15 Post by joby_toss »

Yes, File.au3 exists in the Include folder.

I moved the script in other places - same result.

I don't know what it is, but other scripts from the Examples folder are being compiled fine. It must be something wrong with my setup since you are able to compile OK the same script.