ReactOS

Any other tech-related topics
Local

ReactOS

#1 Post by Local »

Has anybody had any experience with ReactOS?
I tried it in Qemu but don't get very far.

For those who haven't seen, it is an open source OS that is/will be compatible with windows programs.
In my opinion it's a great idea to wean us windows junkies into a new era of CHOICE.
Linux is fine for the technically minded but for the rest of us I don't think being branded a moron for not understanding the differences between it and windows.

There is a live iso of ReactOS to download and also a prebooted qemu image.
From the little I've seen this has a lot of promise for the future.

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=31

Simon.T

#2 Post by Simon.T »

Maybe teobromina can help you? since a new version is out - ReactOS 0.3.4

Regards
Simon

Local

#3 Post by Local »

Thanks for that, I actually got further than that with the Live Cd.
The interface looks just like Win2000 and seems pretty easy to use.
The explorer has multiple windows in a single box and (It looks like) tabs.
That's as far as I got though, I was using the latest, I only downloaded it a few hours ago :P

heh, surprised I missed that topic you linked too.
I usually never miss anyone slating Vista.

Down with overblown Overpriced and under achieving OS's :evil:

Ameri-CAIN

#4 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

Taken From the ReactOS Homepage...
Short-term plan

The next release will be 0.3.5, with an earliest projected release date being April, 2008.
Medium-term plan

The coming 0.4 release series will still stay in alpha stage, and 0.5 release series will be marked as beta, meaning a system which is suitable for every day use.
I downloaded the QEMU version of the OS. (I have KQEMU installed on Windows but I don't think that is a requirement, it just makes it run smoother) and it definitely looks like an Alpha release. It will be interesting to follow the development of this though.

Thanks for the 411 on this Local and Simon T.

UnsafeData

#5 Post by UnsafeData »

last time i used it i remember it crashing constantly, they probably fixed it

it's certainly in alpha thats for sure. i think when it's in beta or out of beta this will turn out to be something great.

Zach Thibeau

I hope

#6 Post by Zach Thibeau »

One thing I hope is that once it gets stable that it will get a larger appeal to the windows users to try something free

Simon.T

Re: I hope

#7 Post by Simon.T »

thibeaz wrote:One thing I hope is that once it gets stable that it will get a larger appeal to the windows users to try something free
We all do :wink:

Zach Thibeau

Yeah

#8 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Yeah thats for sure. Anyways like my new signature :D

Simon.T

Re: Yeah

#9 Post by Simon.T »

thibeaz wrote:Yeah thats for sure. Anyways like my new signature :D

Code: Select all

If you set a Microsoft disk in CD tray upsidedown, you can hear SATANIC VOICES. But that isn't the worst, if you set it right way IT INSTALLS WINDOWS
Yeah, your signature rocks! 8)

donald

Re: ReactOS

#10 Post by donald »

For any one interested v. 3.11 is out and has been for a while, meaning it is closer to 4.0 and planned Beta.

While I know some downloads for Qemu exist I would like to ask if anyone has tried to make a persistent usb install?

Further has anyone tried using LiLi USB Creator, UNetbootin, or Universal USB Installer to make a bootable/persistent usb install? (currently I am unaware of any attempts, or any support for ReactOS)

SYSTEM

#11 Post by SYSTEM »

donald wrote:For any one interested v. 3.11 is out and has been for a while, meaning it is closer to 4.0 and planned Beta.

While I know some downloads for Qemu exist I would like to ask if anyone has tried to make a persistent usb install?

Further has anyone tried using LiLi USB Creator, UNetbootin, or Universal USB Installer to make a bootable/persistent usb install? (currently I am unaware of any attempts, or any support for ReactOS)
Currently ReactOS is unable to boot from USB.

In addition, I'm afraid we'll have to wait years before ReactOS reaches beta stage. :( After over 13 years of development, the version number of ReactOS is just 0.3.11 alpha.

But in any case, I think ReactOS will be worth the wait. I'm really looking forward to it...
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Hydaral

#12 Post by Hydaral »

That's pretty ambitious, but I can see MS suing them out of existence once it becomes more popular, especially if they leave the Start button there.

India is trying to do the same thing, apparently they will have 50 developers working on it.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/inf ... 719490.cms

If a massive company like MS still hasn't got Windows right after 15 years with about 1000 devs (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2008 ... _team.aspx) what hope does the Indian government have with 50?

m^(2)

#13 Post by m^(2) »

Hydaral wrote:That's pretty ambitious, but I can see MS suing them out of existence once it becomes more popular, especially if they leave the Start button there.

India is trying to do the same thing, apparently they will have 50 developers working on it.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/inf ... 719490.cms

If a massive company like MS still hasn't got Windows right after 15 years with about 1000 devs (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2008 ... _team.aspx) what hope does the Indian government have with 50?
I heard about the india OS and predicted it to be a failure. That is, it will likely be done and used, but it will be a far from being useful or secure. But 50 devs? :lol:
ADDED: Maybe they save here, so they can use billion QAs. :lol:
ADDED2: I read the article and it says '50 software professionals'. So that's likely dev+qa already.

usdcs

#14 Post by usdcs »

m^(2) wrote:ADDED: Maybe they save here, so they can use billion QAs.
Just like M$? :!:

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

It looks like ReactOS time is drawing nearer (Warning: loud techno soundtrack :)):