Portability - a new dimension ??

Any other tech-related topics
Devils Advocate

Portability - a new dimension ??

#1 Post by Devils Advocate »

Has anyone checked out Mojopac ?
I've been using this portable environment for sometime now for those tricky to make portable applications.

It is now released as FREE.
And yes I carry around .NET and Java

One for debate I know - but could this environment extend the parameters of this 'portability' definition.

Look, try and consider

Local

#2 Post by Local »

http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... ht=mojopac

It may be a good idea to do a search before submitting questions
Most have been asked somewhere.

Devils Advocate

#3 Post by Devils Advocate »

You're right Local...but those were a little while ago. Things have progressed since then.

The software is fully free now...not time restricted.
The software speed is perfectly adequate for most purposes - I can't benchmark it against earlier versions.
They have now released a Beta 'Usher' add-on which allows you to run it on a limited account machine & yet within the environment still as full admin rights.

The software does still ring home on each start up however - unless you turn that option off of course.

Its freeware & it's portable. Isn't this what this site is all about ? Like most things, it's not to everyones taste but it can make life a whole lot easier.

Devils Advocate

#4 Post by Devils Advocate »

When I said a little while ago - I meant prior to version 1.8 which was only a few days ago.

usdcs

#5 Post by usdcs »

Devils Advocate wrote:They have now released a Beta 'Usher' add-on which allows you to run it on a limited account machine & yet within the environment still as full admin rights.
Ahhh... But, you still have to have an Administrator install Usher. From the site:
Note: MojoPac requires the host PC be logged in with administrative privileges or have MojoPac Usher installed. MojoPac Usher is an application that can be installed on host computers to enable MojoPac to run with a limited mode host login.
Not quite portable to me...

Local

#6 Post by Local »

The software is fully free now...not time restricted.
The software speed is perfectly adequate for most purposes - I can't benchmark it against earlier versions.
They have now released a Beta 'Usher' add-on which allows you to run it on a limited account machine & yet within the environment still as full admin rights.
The freedom version has been free for a while, the only updates that I have seen since then are the ability to install it directly onto the pc and the "Usher" install.

What usdcs said about the admin rights with Usher.
The software does still ring home on each start up however - unless you turn that option off of course.
Yup it does, but in the free version you do not have the option to turn it off.

I'm not gonna knock this program, I really do want it to be as good as it sounds but unfortunately it has a long way to go before being useful as portability and freeware.

I for one though am keeping an eye on its production, there could be good things happening in the future

Devils Advocate

#7 Post by Devils Advocate »

Fair call guys.

I guess, as you suggest, I'll have to wait for further developments.

A useful tool for myself as is, but not quite there for the limited access issue for many.

Thanks for the input

lococobra

#8 Post by lococobra »

I'm sticking to my original comment...
Yeah, I tried it a while ago...

It's a pretty terrible piece of software IMO. Sorry if that offends someone here, just seems very poorly put together.
And here's why...

Requirements:
Windows XP (Host computer)
512MB recommended RAM
Administrator run only

Besides... it's clunky and slow to start up, and why use mojopac when you can just set up a virtual machine using Moka5, Portable QEMU, or Portable Virtual PC 2007?

Darkbee

#9 Post by Darkbee »

I think you reach a point whereby, if you are trying to completely bypass the functionality of an operating system, why not just switch operating systems. I have to confess I don't know a lot about MojoPac but it sounds like you would be better off running a small Linux distribution of a flash drive.... that's about as portable as it gets and no worries about admin rights and installed helper applications.