Microsoft buying Github

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

Re: Microsoft Planning to Buy GitHub

#16 Post by webfork »

Special wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:43 pm So did you delete your account yet?
I see part of my work in freeware and open source as supporting developers even if I don't agree with them and there are a lot of developers on Github who have no intention of leaving. As a result, I feel stuck between an option where I see gloom and doom on the horizon and my own gut feelings about our site's mission.

That said, there's nothing really compelling me to use it. Back when Github first appeared, I stopped posting feature requests, bug reports, and wishlists here on PFW and elsewhere just because it just seemed smarter and more convenient to have it all in one place, monitored and easily referenced. However, part of the benefit of this acquisition is learning just how wanting Github is in a lot of places outside it's excellent usability. It's not unlike my journey away from Google's excellent services ever since I learned about surveillance capitalism.

Since they aren't the only game in town on this, I'll just start using other resources whenever I can. Plus, there are a thousand different software projects that need help and it's easy for me to give more of my time towards non-Github projects.

Midas

Re: Microsoft buying Github

#17 Post by Midas »

Wise words, my dear webfork. As the saying goes, "life isn't black and white, it comes in all (16?) shades of grey"... 8)
webfork wrote: It's not unlike my journey away from Google's excellent services ever since I learned about surveillance capitalism.
One of the reasons I usually run a custom ROM (LineageOS) in my Android personal tracking device... I mean, smartphone.

But overall the future isn't looking very bright, Stateside: :|

webfork

Re: Microsoft buying Github

#18 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:48 am Wise words, my dear webfork. As the saying goes, "life isn't black and white, it comes in all (16?) shades of grey"
Thanks. I hope that's the right path.
webfork wrote: The Net Neutrality Repeal Is Official
I spent a lot of time and energy on this so obviously this is not a good moment for me. The only solace I take on this is that, for the current deregulation climate in the US, people are going to have to get hit at home and hit in the pocketbook. The big telecoms have been spending millions on this and -- like Microsoft buying Github -- they WILL see a return on their investment.