Site slowdown?

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

Site slowdown?

#1 Post by webfork »

I'm posting this separate from XVA Assistant thread to avoid a thread hijack ...
smaragdus wrote:Windows is a dying platform and this site is dying too- it seems no one is interested any more- there are no discussions any longer, there are 3 to 5 regular posters left
I feel obliged to note the "desktop is dead" post by way of reference and respond with a few stats:
  • According to this website, our traffic is admittedly down over the last few months. However, even the lowest estimates I could find still give us North of 4,500 visitors a day. That's roughly 1.6 million a year!
  • Windows was recently eclipsed by Android but it's very far from dead. There is no plan for medium or low-end Mac/iOS option to compete with Windows and Google's platform is far from indestructible.
  • According to Google Trends, "Portable software" is less searched than it was back in 2009-2010.
However, I think what we represent is just "freeware" now and what we're doing is uniquely positioned:
  • Android and iOS are a rat's nest of bad software, poorly labeled and shoved through a terrible "app store" interface that seems to only seems to get worse with time. As soon as Android turned off the AppBrain folks I knew it was going down.
  • Linux is getting better but still doesn't have anything happening on the desktop.
  • MacOS freeware is a joke. Just try watching Softpedia's MacOS freeware section for a few days.
  • Non-portable Windows freeware has too much adware/bundleware.
Also, developers increasingly know about what we're doing and why it's important. More and more when I ask for this feature, I don't have to sell it so hard. They almost always know about it and understand the benefits. Projects like PortableApps and WinPenPack are not new or novel concepts anymore: they're part of the landscape of computing.

Finally, for my part, I've had my time and energy divided recently due to circumstance but I'm coming up on 10 years here and still haven't lost interest in the topic. I want to work on something that's actively solving problems for people and at least once every few months one of my friends tells me about a program here that saved them an entire afternoon of headaches. I have little doubt that's the case for at least some of those 4,500 people who drop by.
Last edited by webfork on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (better wording)

xor

Re: Site slowdown?

#2 Post by xor »

As for me I highly appreciate the effort and dedication of guys like Webfork, Smaragdus and the rest of the crew, I recently got a new job and I have been very busy testing and really using portable freeware to solve, accomplish and implement effective approaches to satisfy the diverse needs in my workplace, that's why I stopped posting but I am always keeping an eye on every single app updated everyday, my final word is... Thanks! and of course this site is far from dead. Long live TPFC!

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Hear, hear... :mrgreen:

__philippe

#4 Post by __philippe »

To webfork , The Right Honourable Member for TPFC's constituency :

Motion wholeheartedly Seconded !
... Image