Advice in combining Desktop App and Self-Hosted Apps

Any other tech-related topics
starstuff

Advice in combining Desktop App and Self-Hosted Apps

#1 Post by starstuff »

Hello!

I like to ask for some advice in combining Desktop App l(portablefreeware apps) and Self-hosted apps (web-based php apps).

I want to use the Self-hosted apps to be a file repository of sort, because you can set the url to be localhost and this makes the location of the file sort of permanent.

I will then use the Desktop App to reference on the url of the Self-hosted App.

I tried several Self-hosted apps (pydio, owncloud,nextcloud, resourcespace) and the problems I encounter are you need to make a share link first in order to get the url link, and you need to download the file first before you can read/watch it.

Is there any way to make this easier?

I just like to have all the files inside the self-hosted app to have share links and stop downloading the file first and open to a desktop app

What do you guys advice with this?

Anyone do this ?

cheers!

webfork

Re: Advice in combining Desktop App and Self-Hosted Apps

#2 Post by webfork »

starstuff wrote:I just like to have all the files inside the self-hosted app to have share links and stop downloading the file first and open to a desktop app
If I understand what you're looking to do but I ultimately think this is what WebDAV technology was supposed to enable: secure, live file access over a standard web connection. Strangely I haven't seen any practical use of this tech in years.