Careful with Android VPN apps

Any other tech-related topics
joby_toss

Careful with Android VPN apps

#1 Post by joby_toss »

Researchers Issue Security Warning Over Android VPN Apps
A research team has issued a warning over the lack of security in many VPN apps available from Google Play. A worrying 38% of the apps tested contained some kind of malware while 67% featured at least one third-party tracking library. More than eight out of ten leaked IPv6 traffic.[...]

freakazoid

Re: Careful with Android VPN apps

#2 Post by freakazoid »

Yeah, I read the PDF of the report.

One particular part of the report I liked was how they mention F-Secure and Disconnect are the only VPNs that do some form of tracker blocking through their VPNs.

I wanted to see if Opera VPN was tested, but it wasn't. Although, SurfEasy was, which is what powers Opera's VPN. (And by Opera VPN, I do mean VPN and not browser proxy! :) )
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Very interesting. I've heard about security problems on the Android OS like this going way back. It's one place where the Mac and Windows platforms are way ahead.

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

webfork wrote:Very interesting. I've heard about security problems on the Android OS like this going way back. It's one place where the Mac and Windows platforms are way ahead.
Yeah, but it's not really an Android problem per se.

It's more about VPNs leaking the user's IP and not being as secure as they are advertised. Sure, Android does exacerbate the problem because it is the most, used mobile device OS and users are more prone to install anything from the Play Store than installing a .exe package on Windows.
is it stealth? ;)