More data breach...

Any other tech-related topics
joby_toss

More data breach...

#1 Post by joby_toss »

Yes, a generic title for an increasingly common problem...

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-o ... ata-breach
We recently became aware that an unauthorized third party breached a database that included some of your Lynda​.com learning data, such as contact information and courses viewed. We are informing you of this issue out of an abundance of caution.

Please know that we have no evidence that this data included your password. And while we have no evidence that your specific account was accessed or that any data has been made publicly available, ​we wanted to notify you as a precautionary measure.

If you have questions, we encourage you to contact us through our Support Center.

The Lynda​.com team
In my eyes there's actually a positive side to this problem: as this events are becoming more frequent (and they ARE), people will start to think twice about how much of their life and information they put up online...

Have you ever stopped and wondered what would happen if today you would lose access to everything IT related (PCs, smartphones, Internet etc.)?...

SYSTEM

Re: More data breach...

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

joby_toss wrote: In my eyes there's actually a positive side to this problem: as this events are becoming more frequent (and they ARE), people will start to think twice about how much of their life and information they put up online...
An important piece of advise everyone should follow: Use a different password everywhere. That way an attacker will only gain access to the site that was breached and nowhere else. It baffles me how many people recycle the same password over and over, it's a ridiculously insecure practice.

Use a password manager to keep track of your passwords. It's way more safe than recycling a single password.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

shnbwmn

#3 Post by shnbwmn »

joby_toss wrote:... ever stopped and wondered what would happen if people lost access to everything IT related (PCs, smartphones, Internet etc.)?...
That would be fantastic. (edits italicised)

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

SYSTEM wrote: Use a different password everywhere.
+1

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

Use a different password everywhere.
+2, via a password manager. It sucks, but I see no light at the end of the tunnel.