Microsoft joins Linux Foundation

Any other tech-related topics

webfork

Re: Microsoft joins Linux Foundation

#2 Post by webfork »

It's not hard to spend 1/2 million (what they gave to the Linux Foundation) on a single court case surrounding patent issues, which they've been using to scare folks away from Linux since it came to prominence.

An OSI article from last year goes into a bit more detail here.

On the other hand, they have been contributing to a lot of code as Slashdot notes.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Well, I have no intention of muddling things anymore here, but some months ago MS stunned the world with the announcement of a novel ability to run Ubuntu under Windows 10 -- e.g., see the following article for further details:
It even appears that this new capacity can be extended further to accommodate other Linux flavors, according to another article:
All of this notwithstanding, it seems extra care is in order...
YMMV, I haven't tested any of it. :shock:

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

As a simple user, I will never run a Linux distro on top of Windows (don't know exactly if this is how it works, but still the same). I guess this feature is geared only toward devs.

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

joby_toss wrote:As a simple user, I will never run a Linux distro on top of Windows (don't know exactly if this is how it works, but still the same). I guess this feature is geared only toward devs.
Indeed, WSL is intended for software developers. I have heard that it was created because some platforms such as node.js offer worse development tools for Windows than for other platforms. (Or potentially none at all for more obscure platforms.) With WSL, developers can still use the better tools on Windows, which removes most of the disadvantage Windows has among software developers.

In fact, it's easy to notice that macOS is a very common operating system for developers. I am at Microsoft Flux right now; a place that MS has created for startups, mostly software companies. And guess what? Even though Microsoft owns this place, the majority of people here use MacBooks. (To be fair, I think "macOS has better development tools than Windows" is not the main reason for that, but still, MS wants to take that reason away.)

Even though I am a developer, I don't plan to use WSL either until I have some need for it.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

aimeusdietger

#6 Post by aimeusdietger »

Midas wrote:Well, I have no intention of muddling things anymore here, but some months ago MS stunned the world with the announcement of a novel ability to run Ubuntu under Windows 10 -- e.g., see the following article for further details:
It even appears that this new capacity can be extended further to accommodate other Linux flavors, according to another article:
All of this notwithstanding, it seems extra care is in order...
YMMV, I haven't tested any of it. :shock:
Before windows 10 I had installed ubuntu on my windows 8 machine because i needed it for a school project. It actually worked out well but after uninstalling ubuntu the windows 8 went a bit crazy and i had to reinstall it. The laptop was fine after that and everything went back to normal. I haven't tried it with windows 10 but it might be better due to all the praises that have come up with OS.