Snapfiles' most popular are portable

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

Snapfiles' most popular are portable

#1 Post by webfork »

Some time back, one of our users asked whether portable was winning. I still don't know how to effectively answer that but one possible answer may have come today when I noticed roughly half of the top Snapfiles downloads are either portable or have portable versions available. We're certainly not losing.

Note that Snapfiles does try to track portable software as well, and they have a portable top 100.

smaragdus

Re: Snapfiles' most popular are portable

#2 Post by smaragdus »

I have serious doubts about SnapFiles's understanding of portability:

Eusing Clock is not portable by any means- settings are saved in Windows registry:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eusing Clock
but this is not a problem for SnapFiles to declare Eusing Clock portable.

Softpedia has a similar (mis)understanding of portability- if a program does not need to be installed then it is portable.

webfork

Re: Snapfiles' most popular are portable

#3 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:doubts about SnapFiles's understanding of portability
I can see someone making the case that our standards are too rigorous just as PA has said ours are too lax. Still, several of the items on the top 100 list showing up in our database is encouraging.
smaragdus wrote:Softpedia has a similar (mis)understanding of portability- if a program does not need to be installed then it is portable.
True. Then again, I don't think our site would have nearly the membership it has now if Softpedia or SnapFiles really nailed their analysis.