Things you can't do with installed software

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

Things you can't do with installed software

#1 Post by webfork »

So I'm slowly putting together a sort of portable software overview or intro from parts. Here's the latest covering why its hard to go back to installed versions of software:

You can't:
  1. Easily backup to a previous version if you don't like the latest changes made by the company/developer
  2. Run two of the same versions on the same machine (some programs will even let you run different versions simultaneously)
  3. Backup programs and settings easily (there is no standard for where settings are saved) and if the original site goes offline without mirrors, you may not be able to use that program anymore.
  4. Run a program entirely inside an encrypted volume (like VeraCrypt or TrueCrypt)
  5. Easier to make available on multiple computers (installed programs require that you go to each machine and go through an install process or re-image computers with the latest install)
  6. Let you easily run a program or tool on the fastest possible computer available to you, important for 3D, CAD, and video editing/conversion.
  7. (Everyone here knows this but I have to include anyway) Run a program over a cloud drive or from a USB stick
Did I miss anything?

tomeko

Re: Things you can't do with installed software

#2 Post by tomeko »

Sharing application between multiple OSs (sometimes including Linux+Wine) or virtual machines (all on same machine).
Reinstalling OS / formatting boot partition without losing application settings/state/data.
Easily moving application settings/data between machines.

thepiney

#3 Post by thepiney »

Avoid system drive BLOAT! Making all the other great suggestions appear even better.

Napiophelios

#4 Post by Napiophelios »

8. you can't just delete the software when you decide you don't want it anymore;
you have to rely on an uninstaller and hope it was created with some integrity.

9. you can't install similar softwares without running a risk of conflict.

Userfriendly

#5 Post by Userfriendly »

Maybe it would be a good idea to include negatives/downsides/disadvantage/cons for using portable software?

I can only think of a few like file type association but I've seen launchers that temporarily associate file types and revert after exiting. Not a perfect solution but it works. This includes start menu shortcuts, context menu, etc.

Googling around for disadvantages, some say portable apps would bundle old runtimes/libraries which would have security vulnerabilities. Doesn't seem like a big deal. If you we're worried about that you could easily drop in updated DLL's and such if allowed.

Another would be updates. Some portable apps don't handle updates properly when not installed. You would have to manually update yourself. I don't use the portableapps.com launcher but I would think it has its own update mechanism to solve this problem.

Some software can't be portable because of the need to have some deep system integration or something. Most likely there would be a portable alternative to such software anyway.

I guess I just pointed out stuff that were supposedly disadvantages for portable software but they all have easy workarounds.

Specular

#6 Post by Specular »

Userfriendly wrote:Another would be updates. Some portable apps don't handle updates properly when not installed. You would have to manually update yourself. I don't use the portableapps.com launcher but I would think it has its own update mechanism to solve this problem.
This more than anything else is a massive pain. Having to figure out which files to replace in which sub-directories gets annoying, hence why I so infrequently update portable programs unless they have a single directory structure and minimal files.

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

How about the ability to upgrade the OS and immediately have all your usual (portable) apps at your fingertips?

I have done this for Win2K -> WinXP -> Win7 -> (recently) Win10.

Everything I use on a regular basis, including Firefox, Thunderbird, Q-Dir, Notepad++, SMPlayer etc. all worked without a hitch. Even the launcher is portable (I am using LiberKey launcher), so everything works the same.
Another would be updates. Some portable apps don't handle updates properly when not installed. You would have to manually update yourself. I don't use the portableapps.com launcher but I would think it has its own update mechanism to solve this problem.
I actually find it easier and safer to do updates for portable apps. What I'd typically do is to rename the old folder (eg. libreoffice -> libreoffice.bak), put the new version in the same place, copy over the settings, then run the new version to try it out. If I don't like something in the new version (don't assume new is better!), it's very easy to roll back.

But I only update if there is something new I need, or if there are security implications (eg. web browsers). Otherwise, I just use the old version until something pushes me to upgrade. For example, I am still using a relatively old version of LiberKey launcher and Notepad++. I typically upgrade SMPlayer when there's something I can't play, which is rare. I don't chase after the latest and greatest, so I guess that takes the pressure off the upgrade mill somewhat.

Userfriendly

#8 Post by Userfriendly »

I guess I meant Automatic updates but I don't think its harder to update portable apps. I'm just thinking about the casual user who usually can't be damned to update anything themselves.

I agree the biggest thing about portable apps is the ability to just port all your settings and apps to whatever machine or OS you need them on. Makes creating backups easy.

I just can't think of reasons why the portable apps way of saving settings and uninstalling isn't the norm. I know that when stuff is installed in the usual install directory "C:\Program Files", settings can't be saved in there unless you run with Admin Privileges or have UAC disabled. That's why settings are directed to AppData or registry.

I read that copy protecting and DRM are reasons why the registry exists. Also having separate settings for each user of the same PC could be a problem. But portable methods exists for that...

Some external links on why or why not portable software to maybe help with your research:
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-better-to-r ... e-computer
http://portableapps.com/about/what_is_a_portable_app
http://portableapps.com/node/9655
https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/why- ... ames/72007
http://www.rlvision.com/blog/what-is-a- ... -use-them/
https://www.rarst.net/software/portable-definition/
http://www.techsupportalert.com/guide-t ... ations.htm
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/portable- ... er-edition
http://lifehacker.com/5890856/kick-wind ... experience

smaragdus

#9 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork
A good post, thanks.

@Userfriendly
Thanks for the links you provided.
A liked the article by the developer of Snap2HTML, Replace Genius, etc:
What is a portable application, and why should you use them?

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Just getting back to this topic. So many good ideas I was a little overwhelmed.
Userfriendly wrote:Maybe it would be a good idea to include negatives/downsides/disadvantage/cons for using portable software?
Excellent question. I've been working on something for "when not to make a portable version" since a thing's opposite frequently casts a clearer shadow.
Userfriendly wrote:I can only think of a few like file type association but I've seen launchers that temporarily associate file types and revert after exiting. Not a perfect solution but it works. This includes start menu shortcuts, context menu, etc.
Agreed. I tried to solve this with my initial project via the "Coffee" program when I arrived on the scene but it hasn't seen much improvement over the years.
Andrew Lee wrote:I actually find it easier and safer to do updates for portable apps. What I'd typically do is to rename the old folder (eg. libreoffice -> libreoffice.bak), put the new version in the same place, copy over the settings, then run the new version to try it out. If I don't like something in the new version (don't assume new is better!), it's very easy to roll back.
I was actually building a howto around this. For software that's really critical to your workflow or operation, having something not function just the way you need isn't an option. Great suggestion.
Userfriendly wrote:Some external links on why or why not portable software to maybe help with your research
Great stuff, thanks.