How do i set-up a Virtual Machine Proxy Server?

Any other tech-related topics
starstuff

How do i set-up a Virtual Machine Proxy Server?

#1 Post by starstuff »

Hi portablefreeware community,

I like to set-up a virtual machine proxy server using virtualbox and a linux os, this is due to the anniversary update of windows 10.

I dont know if this will work though, the idea is to use the virtual machine as a proxy server for internet connection but still use windows 10 as the host.

I will cut the internet connection in windows 10 completely, and use a linux guest os as a way to get internet connection but im not going to use linux app instead use it as a proxy server.

What linux os do you know that can act as a proxy server?

and Does anyone have experience using this?

TIA!

gezley

Re: How do i set-up a Virtual Machine Proxy Server?

#2 Post by gezley »

Yes this works. I use NetBSD as guest OS instead of Linux.

In brief, what you need to do is set up your guest in Virtualbox with two network interfaces: the first, to the outside world, should be NAT; and the second, to your host, should be Host-only. Virtualbox assigns addresses as follows to these interfaces: 10.0.2.15 to the NAT interface, and 192.168.56.100 to the host-only interface. So if your default route at present is 192.168.1.1 (your router), you change that to 192.168.56.1, which is the host side of the Host-only connection.

But you can't get rid of your old default route, because the NAT interface still needs it in order to get out. So what you do in your Windows host is assign a lower metric to the Host-only route, which will give it priority over the default route you get from your router. All traffic will then be routed through the Host-only interface on the virtual machine and out through the NAT interface, through the ethernet or wireless interface on your host and on to the router.

Needless to say you need to set up your virtual machine as a gateway. You could use pfsense, endian, ipfire or one of the many gateways available, or roll your own, as I do with NetBSD.

starstuff

#3 Post by starstuff »

Thank you gezley, its a bit hard to understand but i will try

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

@gezley: Good info, thanks. 8)

Now, I'll have to check if I can get something like that working...