Yahoo! Messenger gone

Any other tech-related topics
smaragdus

Yahoo! Messenger gone

#1 Post by smaragdus »

The desktop Yahoo! Messenger has been killed- Goodbye, Old-School Yahoo Messenger App.

Softpedia note:
As of April 12 2016, Yahoo! Messenger is no longer supported for Windows (along with Mac, Linux and Solaris) and can no longer be downloaded from the developer's website. As of March 27 2016, the only supported platforms are Android, iOS and web browser. However, you can still download the desktop client for Windows from Softpedia.
Yahoo really deserves to go the way of the dodo- this is an idiotic, suicidal company which killed its all worthy services. This event just shows that serverless chat protocols like Tox are the solution for those who do not want to lose their contacts.

shnbwmn

Re: Yahoo! Messenger gone

#2 Post by shnbwmn »

From the PCMag article:
Yahoo wrote:"In December of 2015, we announced a brand new Yahoo Messenger for mobile, the Web and in Yahoo Mail on the desktop, built on a new modern platform. This complete revamp brings users an incredibly fast, beautiful and smart way to send – and unsend – messages, photos and animated GIFs in 1:1 and group conversations. While today we provide basic interoperation between the legacy product and the new Messenger, we encourage all of our users to complete their transition to the new Yahoo Messenger as we will no longer support the legacy platform as of August 5, 2016. We intend to continue our focused efforts on the new Messenger, with a goal of delivering the best experience to our users,"
Sounds good to me. They're breathing new life into their service at the small expense of an archaic desktop program.

Also from the article:
While you can't currently download the new iteration of Yahoo Messenger to your computer as a standalone Windows or Mac app, Yahoo claims it is working on a version. It hasn't published a timeline for the release in its official Yahoo Messenger FAQ, but you can sign up for updates to the in-progress program.
I'm assuming there won't be any loss of contacts. That would be a juvenile mistake on Yahoo's part.

smaragdus

Re: Yahoo Messenger will be discontinued

#3 Post by smaragdus »

Dweller1

Re: Yahoo! Messenger gone

#4 Post by Dweller1 »

I also tried it right now but it isnt working.. There's tons of messages I need to save and this crappy yahoo is just so useless now Smiley Sad

webfork

Re: Yahoo Messenger will be discontinued

#5 Post by webfork »

My guess is that after the acquisition, they looked at things that were making money and things that weren't, and the Messenger probably wasn't so they shut it down. Pretty standard stuff. Yet another argument after the exit of so many tools seemingly stable tools (Google Talk, MSN, AIM, etc.) for a decentralized chat network like Tox.