The Portable Freeware Collection Forums
http://www.portablefreeware.com:80/forums/

Windows 9 is... Windows 10
http://www.portablefreeware.com:80/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21700
Page 18 of 18

Author:  billon [ Sat May 13, 2017 9:28 am ]
Post subject:  Good Old XP

Microsoft Releases Emergency Windows XP Update to Block WannaCry Ransomware
:shock: :o :D 8) :mrgreen:

Author:  Midas [ Sat May 13, 2017 10:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

Another interesting article from the same source: Windows 10 Now Looking like Windows XP Because Good Operating Systems Never Die... :)
(http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-now-looking-like-windows-xp-because-good-operating-systems-never-die-515543.shtml)

Author:  __philippe [ Sat May 13, 2017 12:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Good Old XP

billon wrote:

Even staid business publications are praising Microsoft surprising move to provide a specific security update for Good Old XP, (16-year-Old, actually),
after support was discontinued back in 2014

from FORBES :

    Microsoft Did Something Unexpected To Protect Windows Users From WannaCrypt Ransomware

Author:  webfork [ Sat May 13, 2017 1:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Good Old XP

__philippe wrote:
Even staid business publications are praising Microsoft surprising move to provide security update for Good Old XP, (16-year-Old, actually)

I'm not super surprised given that this is a PR nightmare for Microsoft. Here they've spent millions to scrub their reputation as being insecure by design versus Mac and Linux and now one coordinated attack could take all that away. You should definitely expect any group thinking about running a pure Windows shop to hesitate.

midas wrote:
Another interesting article from the same source: Windows 10 Now Looking like Windows XP Because Good Operating Systems Never Die

That's awesome. I'm definitely going to make that happen when I eventually move to Win10.

Author:  __philippe [ Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:36 am ]
Post subject:  Good Old XP - June 13th critical updates

Microsoft just announced yet another unexpected release of critical updates for out-of-support XP and Vista
(no less than 12 distinct KB patches, addressing sundry vulnerabilities)

MS official "Guidance for older platforms" details here.

ArsTechnica's Dan Goodin offers an interesting opinion on the controversial subject of continuing out-of-support products updates.

ArsTechnica's Peter Bright maintains a contrarian view.

This unusual out-of-support update comes amidst a flurry of security updates released for in-support systems, as discussed here.

Author:  SYSTEM [ Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

smaragdus wrote:
Eugene Kaspersky - That’s It. I’ve Had Enough! - Microsoft kills off independent software vendors by foisting its products on users that are in no way better


Microsoft has responded: https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Trust-Windows-Defender-Antivirus

Jeremy Hellstrom wrote:
Microsoft replied with their view of this dispute, stating that they do indeed disable antivirus programs when there is a risk that a Windows update would stop the third party antivirus from running anyways.

Author:  Midas [ Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

Intriguing read into the brave new world of the latest Windows: :shock:


Author:  joby_toss [ Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

I'm also experiencing some issues with latest windows 10 updates (creator's update or whatever it's called): poor performance in games (Diablo 3 for example starts 10 times slower than before, hangs randomly and overheats my machine, unlike before) and also CPU usage while watching a youtube video went from 2-3% to a whooping 30%. I have no drive to investigate or do whatever... don't really care anymore...

Author:  Userfriendly [ Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

joby_toss wrote:
I'm also experiencing some issues with latest windows 10 updates (creator's update or whatever it's called): poor performance in games (Diablo 3 for example starts 10 times slower than before, hangs randomly and overheats my machine, unlike before) and also CPU usage while watching a youtube video went from 2-3% to a whooping 30%. I have no drive to investigate or do whatever... don't really care anymore...

Turn off the Game Bar and Game Mode. Find it in Settings > Gaming. Worth a shot. Its probably the cause. Also update graphics drivers as usual.

Author:  smaragdus [ Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

More good news for Windows 10 users:
Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/18/windows-10-is-no-longer-supported-on-this-pc/

Author:  webfork [ Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

smaragdus wrote:
More good news for Windows 10 users: Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC

Yeah I saw that too. That's very frustrating.

Author:  Userfriendly [ Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

smaragdus wrote:
More good news for Windows 10 users: Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC

I wouldn't solely put the blame on Microsoft for this one.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/07 ... date-ever/
Quote:
The bad news is that the block on the Creators Update appears to be permanent. The problem is the GPU drivers; Clover Trail Atoms use GPU technology licensed from Imagination Technologies. Imagination appears unwilling, and Intel appears unable, to update the GPU drivers to meet the demands of the Creators Update. So systems built with such hardware will never be upgradable beyond the Anniversary Update.

The good news is that Microsoft has said that it will provide such systems with security fixes until 2023, thereby reinstating the supported lifetime that such machines were supposed to have in the first place. Luckily for Microsoft, the Anniversary Update already had a corresponding long-term servicing branch version (LTSB), so the company was already intending to release security fixes for this version of Windows until 2023.

Intel/Imagination won't provide updated drivers so Microsoft has no choice but to block Creators Update from installing. But they will still provide security fixes for the Anniversary Update version until 2023. This is just planned obsolescence by hardware manufacturers. Nothing surprising here.

Anyone using these old low end mobile devices wouldn't care about this anyway.

Author:  SYSTEM [ Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

smaragdus wrote:
Eugene Kaspersky - That’s It. I’ve Had Enough! - Microsoft kills off independent software vendors by foisting its products on users that are in no way better


Microsoft will stop disabling third-party AVs in the Fall Creators Update, and Kaspersky has withdrawn their complaint: https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3015440/kaspersky-withdraws-microsoft-anti-trust-campaign-after-windows-10-tweaks

Author:  SYSTEM [ Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

Userfriendly wrote:
joby_toss wrote:
I'm also experiencing some issues with latest windows 10 updates (creator's update or whatever it's called): poor performance in games (Diablo 3 for example starts 10 times slower than before, hangs randomly and overheats my machine, unlike before) and also CPU usage while watching a youtube video went from 2-3% to a whooping 30%. I have no drive to investigate or do whatever... don't really care anymore...

Turn off the Game Bar and Game Mode. Find it in Settings > Gaming. Worth a shot. Its probably the cause. Also update graphics drivers as usual.


Microsoft has admitted that Creators Update introduced gaming performance issues, and published one fix to Insiders: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-admits-to-gaming-performance-issues-in-windows-10-creators-update

Page 18 of 18 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/