Windows 9 is... Windows 10

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

#61 Post by webfork »

So Windows 10 is freemium or - put another way - Solitare is available for a monthly charge:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2957365/ ... costs.html

Ugh.

I'm less concerned with paying for Solitare but more around what else I'm going to get dinged for.

Userfriendly

#62 Post by Userfriendly »

webfork wrote:So Windows 10 is freemium or - put another way - Solitare is available for a monthly charge
Heh, this only their app store stuff. Does anyone here actually use their store or even login with a Microsoft Account? I still continue to use a local account primarily. If I used any of their services like OneDrive or had mobile devices I probably would. But I don't so it's no biggie.

But it's funny, whatever Microsoft copies from Google, they make a bigger stink of it because people generally like Google better. The lesser of evils or something like that.

Nobody got dinged to upgrade from win7/8 to 10. If you really really like solitaire, isn't it a small price to pay? That doesn't even matter because there are better free alternatives out there.

It's still possible to copy the old vista/win7 games to win10 but i'm not sure of the legality on that.

Midas

Re: Windows 10

#63 Post by Midas »

Freemium it is, as said here and elsewhere.
  • Userfriendly wrote:It's still possible to copy the old vista/win7 games to win10
    • That thought crossed my mind, too... but I'm sure Mircosoft will remedy that promptly. :)

Userfriendly

#64 Post by Userfriendly »

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-insta ... indows-10/
Well this makes it more enticing to try store apps without having my PC always connected to the cloud. I can keep using my local account and just sign-in within the store app with my MS account if I want to install new apps.

Userfriendly

#65 Post by Userfriendly »

Here's an installer to get Windows 7 games to Windows 8/10.
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... tilanguage

webfork

#66 Post by webfork »

Userfriendly wrote:Nobody got dinged to upgrade from win7/8 to 10.
I use the term "ding" to infer annoying extra/unexpected payments.
Userfriendly wrote:If you really really like solitaire
Again, not really about the game. More an open question that, if something from Windows 95 is now "premium," what else might get looped into that?

Midas

#67 Post by Midas »

FYI (some counter-measures referred)... :roll:

Craunch

#68 Post by Craunch »

Interesting reading.

I have Windows 7 on a desktop (that I only use for playing games on nowadays) and a laptop. My main machine runs Manjaro Linux.

The counter-measures I will be applying shortly will be to install Linux everywhere. I think I will also dump my microsoft mail and OneDrive account for good measure. I feel that Microsoft can no longer be regarded as trustworthy.

joby_toss

#69 Post by joby_toss »

Microsoft has to play the "big boys" game now...

They allow us to hide/deny these updates for now; let's see how long we'll be able to do that.

joby_toss

#70 Post by joby_toss »

webfork

#71 Post by webfork »

Everytime I do anything with any IT organization (and I've worked for several now) they all have a message of one type or another about upgrading to the latest OS of whatever operating system. These are of course important because the New Thing is always appealing. As a result, it's easy to ignore these "X reasons not to upgrade" but, for reference, the first version of OS X should have been skipped entirely (at the time it was widely considered a beta) while many people and organizations skipped Windows Vista entirely.

While it doesn't sound like skipping Windows 10 is an option (there may well be no Windows 11), I don't see any reason to upgrade anytime soon. The only reasons I can find in the pro column seem to be Cortana and disliking Windows 8, which isn't a draw.

joby_toss

#72 Post by joby_toss »

joby_toss

#73 Post by joby_toss »

How to Remove Windows 10 Installation Files from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs

http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-r ... 1602.shtml

starstuff

#74 Post by starstuff »

Do any of you have a Windows Exit Strategy in place?

I don't like where microsoft is going now, im testing Linux Mint as an alternative in Virtualbox and its not that bad after all. i will still be using Windows 7 but not connected directly to the internet. I dont want to lose all the portable apps!

joby_toss

#75 Post by joby_toss »

starstuff wrote:...im testing Linux Mint as an alternative in Virtualbox and its not that bad after all...
So am I! No budget for a new machine yet, though... :(