Free and cool Android apps

Any other tech-related topics
Checker

Re: Free and cool Android apps

#16 Post by Checker »

guinness wrote:Checker,

Did you choose that because the icon looks like an eye?
LOL ... look me in the eye Image

BTW: Did you see TubeMate :?:

guinness

#17 Post by guinness »

I don't have an Android phone.

Checker

#18 Post by Checker »

guinness wrote:I don't have an Android phone.
Me, too ... but I have a tablet pc :mrgreen:

TenaciousD

#19 Post by TenaciousD »

Here's another one.
GO Contacts EX (2.7MB)
Brought to you by GO Dev Team , GO Contacts EX is yet another powerful tool, ideal replacement of stock Contacts and Dialer. It is featured by fast search, grouping, duplicates merge and secure backup/recovery.

Features:
1. Quick find: by any letter, name, company, keyword.
2. Group contacts: Drag&group; batch SMS or email by one-key press.
3. Merge duplicated identified by name,phone number or by email address.
4. Smart dialing: Only remember fraction of contact’s number or name? No problem, just press keys, it will give the matches.
5. Speed dial:press on keys call someone.
6. IP Dial:Chinese area IP dial supported.
7. Theme supported: Dark (included) and Spring, Ice Blue (download separately)
8. Backup / restore: Save contacts to or restore them from SD card, safe and secure.
9. Number attribution: Show the registered location of phone number (Only available in Chinese version. Plugin download separately).

Why I used it: A while ago I bought a cheap knockoff Android Tablet and found out I couldn't add or remove contacts, and the default People App wasn't there either. What I did instead was to Download GO Contacts EX and it allowed me to add and remove contacts and it's been on my tablet every since. :D

Here's something funny. :mrgreen:
This is probably even funnier.

Andrew Lee

#20 Post by Andrew Lee »

Here are a few Android apps that I like and use:

Atrium for Facebook
The official Facebook app was killing my phone, so I needed a leaner and faster alternative.

SMSDroid/WebSMS
I use it to send cheap text using FishTEXT.

Podkicker
My current podcast manager after Google Listen was killed. Still looking for something better and free, but this works quite well at the moment.

GoTasks
I use this to sync with my Google Tasks in the cloud.

Shopping Buddy
Needed a simple, single-minded app to share a shopping list with my wife. This one fits the bill to the T. Support for photos really helps with product identification, coupon keeping etc.

QuickPic
Lean and mean Gallary replacement. Much more customizable than Gallery. I use it on both my phone and tablet.

TenaciousD

Protect yourself from scams with...

#21 Post by TenaciousD »

Scam-Detector:For iOS and Android:11MB.
Despite its name, its not designed to automatically detect scams.
Rather its a sort of online encyclopedia detailing a wide range of scams from auto scams to travel scams (and how to avoid them all) in one convenient place.
Also you can read all about the scams on their site as well if your wish, if you don't have a compatible device. :mrgreen:

brickablesmile

#22 Post by brickablesmile »

I found this archived at XP Mod Launcher.

And I'm throwing in Saurik's Cydia Substrate [ROOT REQUIRED]. Because I'm dying to see if the iPhone themesets in Winterboard can be used on Android.

For non-iPhone fans - this baby can theme any ROM. Or use any icon pack on a stock launcher. Although, if you've rooted the phone, I would really, really like to know why you're still using the stock launcher?

jandas

#23 Post by jandas »

My must-have Android apps:
  • Evernote - digital notepad / scrapbook where in which you can take notes, store images, PDFs, audio recordings, etc
  • Google Drive - file storage and synchronization service provided by Google
  • Any.do - intuitive, gesture-based to-do app
  • Nova Launcher - highly customizable launcher for Android 4.0+
  • Llama - app that can automatically perform actions based on your location
  • MX Player- powerful multi-format video player

copc

#24 Post by copc »

AirDroid 3.0.1 - released

Midas

#25 Post by Midas »

For an updated list of the best freeware Android apps, check Gizmo's neatly classified listings:
Newcomer Fossdroid might be worth a look, too: http://fossdroid.com/...

Midas

Re: Android kernel tweaking apps

#26 Post by Midas »

For advanced Android users with rooted devices one of the best system tweakers is free OSS Kernel Adiutor (no, it's not mispelled, it's Latin :))...
Available from Google's Play store, F-Droid repos and Github: Some other pretty good alternatives are:

carbonize

#27 Post by carbonize »

Midas wrote:For an updated list of the best freeware Android apps, check Gizmo's neatly classified listings:
That's a really bad list. I think they started it about 5 years ago and have just been adding to it without checking what's already on it.
For example LauncherPro is a long dead launcher. Last updated in 2011. Cubed music player hasn't been updated since 2013 and has been taken over by Doubletwist. It only lists Go Keyboard under keyboards with no mention of Swiftkey. Pretty much a bad list.

Midas

#28 Post by Midas »

I agree some of the entries are ancient. But being old don't necessarily make it bad -- I know, I'm old, too, and I still run Windows XP.

Please enlighten us with a better list or else some substantive reasons why some particular software on the list might be bad... :|

carbonize

#29 Post by carbonize »

Midas wrote:I agree some of the entries are ancient. But being old don't necessarily make it bad -- I know, I'm old, too, and I still run Windows XP.

Please enlighten us with a better list or else some substantive reasons why some particular software on the list might be bad... :|
Well I already listed the two I know are dead so I'm guessing there are others in there as well. Some of the areas they list for have only a single entry and such as the entries for keyboards. No entry for cleaners such as CCleaner.

As to better lists I have just looked at a few and they all have issues along the same lines.

webfork

#30 Post by webfork »

This is a Windows program that works with Android programs ...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/D ... ader.shtml

... it essentially tries to function as a downloader for Google play, which -- depending on your connection -- might be faster and easier using your laptop.  Also good if you want to outfit more than one device with several APK files.

Note that this requires a device ID so if you don't have an android device, this might not work for you.  Alternatively, there are other APK sites on the net that can do this without the fuss.  Hopefully future versions integrate those.

--

Note: Untested (don't have a device ID or an Android device right now).